IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

missing options on F Sport

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-13, 08:41 AM
bam
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default missing options on F Sport

I can't believe that on a car in this price class, the F Sport doesn't have memory seating as standard or even as an option. It's also missing rain sensing wipers.

Worse of all though is that it doesn't have the USB color option.
Old 07-02-13, 09:01 AM
Glashub
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Perhaps it's best to look at what it does have. I sold a car that had every option you'd want but it lacked in ride/handling and it had a subpar air conditioner. Rain sensing wipers -- is it so hard to flick the switch when it rains? Do you want them to go off while you're doing some spirited driving cuz another car squirted the their windshield? It happened to me. Memory seat -- I've had that for years and never used it. I could go down the list of features I had and never used. I guess what I'm saying is ask yourself honestly how often you would use a feature or if there is really a need for it i.e. I live in SoCal -- rain sensing wipers are not important but a great air conditioning system is. BTW, the air is so good I feel it through the perforation of the seats.
Old 07-02-13, 09:25 AM
mmims2000
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

At first, I felt a little annoyed that I couldn't get seemingly basic options for a 2014 luxury car like memory seats with my IS350 F-Sport. However, now that I am a proud owner of one and have driven it for a few days, I have absolutely ZERO regrets. There is just SO much this car has to offer... inside and out.. this is a beautiful car and an amazing machine. I can't believe how much better the quality is than the german competition. I think the car is worth every penny of its MSRP, and like I said.. I spend so much time enjoying the features the car does have, I don't miss the few that it doesn't even a bit.
Old 07-02-13, 09:41 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

yea it doesnt have ventilated seats and memory for F Sport but man it gains a lot of other more sports oriented features. The adjustable suspension was very nice when I messed with it. LFA gauges are a big plus too. I mainly used the memory seats in my car for passengers, normal and tall person settings. No one else drives my car.
Old 07-02-13, 09:48 AM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah but on the IS350, it does have VGRS and AVS which play into the S+ setting. Also, in the US, you get LED headlights with every F Sport package. In Canada, LED headlights are only available on the IS350 AWD with Executive Package ($53,800). It's not available on any other model or package (including the IS350 RWD).
Old 07-02-13, 10:06 AM
doctorttt
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

IMO, the memory seat is no biggie. I only used the memory seat of my 2IS350 *once* back in the old days - the day when I picked her home, lol. Since then, I was the sole driver of the car, and I didn't have the need to adjust the seat again.

Not having the ventilated seat in the F-Sport package is a disappointment for me. In the summer, that thing is amazing. (and chicks love this option.)

Outside of the F-Sport package, I wish the tech package comes with the parking sensors. It's weird having the back-up camera without those sensors on the bumpers. I feel like something is missing.

That raining senor - rarely used it coz I think it's a bit annoying
Headlamp washer - used it once during my ownership of the 2IS350

Especially when you decide to trade-in the vehicle for another one in the future for whatever reasons, the dealer or appraiser doesn't even care whether the car has those nitty-gritty features.

Last but not least, the BMW 335i with m-sport and other options doesn't even come with aluminum pedals but rather those cheap-looking, black rubber ones, and that thing is like around $53-$55k. lol

Last edited by doctorttt; 07-02-13 at 10:17 AM.
Old 07-02-13, 12:19 PM
bam
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Don't get me wrong. I think this is an awesome car from the moment we all saw pictures of it and people were bashing this styling feature and that styling feqture. I applauded Lexus for making such a bold design that no car company can say that they copied.

What I am saying is that a car of this calibur is missing some convienence items and yes I do use memory seating between my wife and I. As for the rain sensing wipers, I do live in SoCal where it rains like 5 days out of the year but when it rains in SoCal, it's a big deal. Having the rain sensing wipers are nice so that we don't have to keep adjusting the wiping speed. For some folks that may sound like the stupidest thing but keep in mind, SoCal is very variable. One place may be spirnkling and then another place may be raining hard and anorher place may be drive all along your commute. It's not like other parts of the country where when it rains, the whole city/county is raining. So having the rain sensing wipers is nice to just set it and forget it.

After all, these are conveinence items and they're all there to may your experience more enjoyable. It's like power lock windows. Do you need them? No. Are they nice to have? Yes. Power windows. Do you need them? No. Are they nice to have? Yes. So for some of you where you're the only driver, having memory seating is not needed but for me where my wife and I drive each other's car sometimes, it's nice to have. Not to mention when you take the car in for service and the service technican has adjsuted your seat around, it's nice to just push a button and you're good to go.
Old 07-02-13, 12:40 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

- No leather option
- No power tilt and telescoping steering wheel
- No memory seats
- No USB
- No sport dead pedal (GS gets it..)
- No HUD option

Lexus stop packaging things so poorly and stop being cheap. You're supposed to be tier 1. Don't make me choose a cake and not be able to eat it too..
Old 07-02-13, 12:42 PM
LexFather

Huge thread on this already. I tried giving Lexus feedback here but went through a different method. They are well aware of our gripes but no idea will there be future changes
Old 07-02-13, 12:46 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by Blueprint
Huge thread on this already. I tried giving Lexus feedback here but went through a different method. They are well aware of our gripes but no idea will there be future changes
You can send me their contact info and I'll have a talk with them
Old 07-02-13, 01:17 PM
Glashub
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

With all due respect look at Genesis. Great value and has every doodad one could ever want -- except --- oh, air conditioning that blows cold air on 100 degree days. Lexus does that great. The truth is that it's all based on numbers and margins. Hyundai decided to put in features galore as standard equipment and to cut component quality where they could. Lexus decided to keep as much quality as they could but to remove features.

Pick your poison at the 45K - 50K mark.

It's not like Lexus is in the business of withholding features they could've included and potentially losing customers and will gift us because we complain -- they crunched the numbers on every little part down to screws and extrapolated the cost of building a car at a statistically proven price point -- and have done so. Hyundai is smart because they know Americans are blinded by features and troubled by moving a wiper stem too often.

I'd wager that the option list is limited because they don't want to do what Acura did -- blur the line between the GS and the IS. IS has to stay at a price/option point so the GS can remain the next tier to aspire towards.

Finally, a company could go out of business trying to meet the wants of every person.

Last edited by Glashub; 07-02-13 at 02:02 PM.
Old 07-02-13, 01:59 PM
tsopranoMB
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
- No leather option
- No power tilt and telescoping steering wheel
- No memory seats
- No USB
- No sport dead pedal (GS gets it..)
- No HUD option

Lexus stop packaging things so poorly and stop being cheap. You're supposed to be tier 1. Don't make me choose a cake and not be able to eat it too..
it actually has 2 USB ports, while the competition doesn't have that...

when it comes to the F-SPORT, those items are not really wanted as much...if you need them, get the Luxury package on the standard model...
Old 07-02-13, 02:05 PM
unc879wins
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I think his USB was about color choice.
Old 07-02-13, 02:27 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by Glashub
With all due respect look at Genesis. Great value and has every doodad one could ever want -- except --- oh, air conditioning that blows cold air on 100 degree days. Lexus does that great. The truth is that it's all based on numbers and margins. Hyundai decided to put in features galore as standard equipment and to cut component quality where they could. Lexus decided to keep as much quality as they could but to remove features.

Pick your poison at the 45K - 50K mark.

It's not like Lexus is in the business of withholding and potentially losing customers and will gift us because we complain -- they crunched the numbers on every little part down to screws and extrapolated the cost of building a car at a statistically proven price point -- and have done so, Hyundai is smart because they know Americans are blinded by features and troubled by moving a wiper stem too often.
The problem lies in that none of the items mentioned are an "OPTION" (on the F-Sport). As a buyer we should have the option not some specific package forced down our throats. If the buyer (me) wants to spend the extra money well then Lexus needs to take that money and get me what I want. BMW and Porsche will gladly make a vehicle with nearly any option available on the car if the buyer wants it.
Old 07-02-13, 02:32 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by tsopranoMB
it actually has 2 USB ports, while the competition doesn't have that...

when it comes to the F-SPORT, those items are not really wanted as much...if you need them, get the Luxury package on the standard model...
As a owner of a USB model you should know what I'm talking about

Not wanted by who? People that they polled what feature content should be in the F-Sport? (doubtful). You don't think people in hot states want ventilated seats on their sporty car when they can't stomach the look of a lux/base model IS? No no that's just an excuse. If leather is an option on luxury then it needs to be an option on F-Sport.

Originally Posted by unc879wins
I think his USB was about color choice.
Exactly

Quick Reply: missing options on F Sport