New IS Engine and Nav/Screen concerns

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-13, 05:12 PM
LexusSC430
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default New IS Engine and Nav/Screen concerns

Two points:

1st, is it all but certain that the engines will be replaced in the next model year? To cut down on costs I would look at the 250, but whats the point in buying a dog of an engine if they are going to replace it?

2nd, I have had the RX350 as a loaner car...is the new IS going to have that mouse/remote control and no touch screen?

As someone who had one of the first IS's in 2005 and the IS-C in 2009 I must say, why would anyone buy the first year of this car when they are going to upgrade the engines? The nice thing about the models I listed above is in 2005 it was an all new engine, and in 2009 you knew the engine would change.

Why come out with a new model with old engines? I also cannot stand the remote control, what is easier than a touch screen??

I may be jumping ship...or car. My IS-C has a lot of value in it right now, cant see waiting a year.

Any thoughts or information are appreciated.
Old 06-19-13, 05:40 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

the new IS has the remote touch interface just like the RX you have, except the map graphics have slightly changed. It now has 3D mapping
Old 06-19-13, 06:01 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by LexusSC430
Two points:

1st, is it all but certain that the engines will be replaced in the next model year? To cut down on costs I would look at the 250, but whats the point in buying a dog of an engine if they are going to replace it?

2nd, I have had the RX350 as a loaner car...is the new IS going to have that mouse/remote control and no touch screen?

As someone who had one of the first IS's in 2005 and the IS-C in 2009 I must say, why would anyone buy the first year of this car when they are going to upgrade the engines? The nice thing about the models I listed above is in 2005 it was an all new engine, and in 2009 you knew the engine would change.

Why come out with a new model with old engines? I also cannot stand the remote control, what is easier than a touch screen??

I may be jumping ship...or car. My IS-C has a lot of value in it right now, cant see waiting a year.

All we've heard (rumormill) is the 250 engine will be replaced. 350 remains a mystery.

Yes the 3IS has remote touch.

Because 90% of people who buy these cars are not enthusiasts. They just want a nice luxury badged car.

Why did Lexus introduce the 2006 GS300 then change it to the GS350 in 2007? Same reasoning as the latest IS no doubt.

Remote Touch when it had enter buttons on the sides was a breeze to use. This latest gen takes some getting used to. Interfaces like RM, iDrive, MMI and COMAND replaced touch screen for a number of reasons that include but not limited to no more fingerprints, recessed navi's are higher up and increase visibility by line of sight as well reduce sun glare. The control itself is more ergonomic too.

Your IS-C will hold value for a long while. Dealers including mine can't keep any in stock and a very limited number come to us since production is winding down.
Old 06-20-13, 11:31 AM
LexusSC430
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
All we've heard (rumormill) is the 250 engine will be replaced. 350 remains a mystery.

Yes the 3IS has remote touch.

Because 90% of people who buy these cars are not enthusiasts. They just want a nice luxury badged car.

Why did Lexus introduce the 2006 GS300 then change it to the GS350 in 2007? Same reasoning as the latest IS no doubt.

Remote Touch when it had enter buttons on the sides was a breeze to use. This latest gen takes some getting used to. Interfaces like RM, iDrive, MMI and COMAND replaced touch screen for a number of reasons that include but not limited to no more fingerprints, recessed navi's are higher up and increase visibility by line of sight as well reduce sun glare. The control itself is more ergonomic too.

Your IS-C will hold value for a long while. Dealers including mine can't keep any in stock and a very limited number come to us since production is winding down.
I appreciate the words on the IS-C value...care to make me an offer? lol

As for the interface. My friend had a benz and I never understood why not just have a touch screen....then Lexus follows....I researched it and looked stuff up and I realize it is screen size and all those other things. Still is such a downpoint in my eyes, one which would make me steer clear of the new IS.

I don't think I would be in the market for a car first year when the costs are higher and the features of the car are going to be replaced in the next year. Kind of sucks, because I have driven a Lexus since 2000.

Meanwhile, the dealer was doing work on my car to do a roof rattle fix and I get home and they scratched the rim...curb damage. unreal. They also put 25 miles on the car, why I do not know.
Old 06-20-13, 03:16 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

talking about IS-C, I noticed they have had quite high production numbers for them - 20% of total IS production, which is quite good. So I bet we will see another IS-C (Or RC)
Old 06-20-13, 03:48 PM
Mater17
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I never understood why not just have a touch screen...
Same here. Only thing I can think of is that they focus group'd Remote Touch in 2008 before iPads came out, but it is pushing me away from the brand. Major interface design fail on otherwise excellent cars.
Old 06-20-13, 04:17 PM
Hoovey689

I appreciate the words on the IS-C value...care to make me an offer? lol

As for the interface. My friend had a benz and I never understood why not just have a touch screen....then Lexus follows....I researched it and looked stuff up and I realize it is screen size and all those other things. Still is such a downpoint in my eyes, one which would make me steer clear of the new IS.

I don't think I would be in the market for a car first year when the costs are higher and the features of the car are going to be replaced in the next year. Kind of sucks, because I have driven a Lexus since 2000.

Meanwhile, the dealer was doing work on my car to do a roof rattle fix and I get home and they scratched the rim...curb damage. unreal. They also put 25 miles on the car, why I do not know.
Care to make that cross country trip? hah

Although I agree, speaking from in generalities, Luxury makes like BMW (iDrive), Audi (MMI), Lexus (Remote Touch), MBZ (COMAND) have moved on to mouses and haptic feedback, whereas mainstream makes like Toyota, Chevy, VW are gaining touch screens. Luxury makes typically debut tech like that which finds it's way to more mainstream makes years later. If I'm lucky my next Lexus will just read my thoughts and change the music channel or climate control

Yeah I'm not the biggest fan of these "major-minors" Lexus has been up to lately such as the IS and LS. I'd much rather have a FULL redesign, including power trains. The latest S-Class simply owns it's class now. But yes I'd also stay clear of first year models though to it's credit the 4GS seems to have bucked the trend and has been a gem. Subjective design looks aside, everything about the car is a improvement over the 3GS.

Sorry to hear about the curb damage. Techs are supposed to road test the vehicle, but 25 is a little excessive and that's something we ask permission for first (iirc anything over 10 miles). Not that I'm agreeing with that dealer, but the 25 extra miles on the car are probably related to the rattle complaint. Odds are they'd "fix it" drive it back, tweak it, drive it ect. Sounds like it took a long while to find the source of the rattle. For our dealer we installed a long row of those tiny round bumps for such rattle testing so we don't have to go in search of rough roads
Old 06-20-13, 04:20 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by spwolf
talking about IS-C, I noticed they have had quite high production numbers for them - 20% of total IS production, which is quite good. So I bet we will see another IS-C (Or RC)
Folks must be holding on to them. We honestly have 1 new 250 C F-Sport and 0 pre-owned. I believe we'll see another convertible, but I think they've figured out the naming scheme so it won't be IS-C. 'S' will be for sedans, 'X' will be for SUVs, and 'C' is seemingly coupe though I have no clue what the convertible versions of the upcoming LF-CC and LF-LC coupes will be called. Worst part is the waiting game with Lexus. Takes forever to release this RC coupe and NX SUV
Old 06-20-13, 04:49 PM
ISFWes
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default 2014 is

Hoovey
Whats the last day to special order a 2013 ISF?
Old 06-21-13, 04:07 AM
LexusSC430
Lead Lap

Care to make that cross country trip? hah

Although I agree, speaking from in generalities, Luxury makes like BMW (iDrive), Audi (MMI), Lexus (Remote Touch), MBZ (COMAND) have moved on to mouses and haptic feedback, whereas mainstream makes like Toyota, Chevy, VW are gaining touch screens. Luxury makes typically debut tech like that which finds it's way to more mainstream makes years later. If I'm lucky my next Lexus will just read my thoughts and change the music channel or climate control

Yeah I'm not the biggest fan of these "major-minors" Lexus has been up to lately such as the IS and LS. I'd much rather have a FULL redesign, including power trains. The latest S-Class simply owns it's class now. But yes I'd also stay clear of first year models though to it's credit the 4GS seems to have bucked the trend and has been a gem. Subjective design looks aside, everything about the car is a improvement over the 3GS.

Sorry to hear about the curb damage. Techs are supposed to road test the vehicle, but 25 is a little excessive and that's something we ask permission for first (iirc anything over 10 miles). Not that I'm agreeing with that dealer, but the 25 extra miles on the car are probably related to the rattle complaint. Odds are they'd "fix it" drive it back, tweak it, drive it ect. Sounds like it took a long while to find the source of the rattle. For our dealer we installed a long row of those tiny round bumps for such rattle testing so we don't have to go in search of rough roads
Again, I appreciate the insight. Im guessing the car is worth $32-35k. Not bad after 4 years.

You are right about things trickling down. I just don't get it. I was away for work and rented a ford, no nav...but had the sync. It drove me crazy trying to adjust the radio and/or temp. I didn't understand why eliminating a turn **** and an up and down button were such bad things. The one nice thing you could do was enter in the station for XM, that is assuming you knew it however.

They said the roof fix is a 10 hour process, the rattles were quite apparent, I am not sure why 25 miles was necessary though. They are going to fix the rim on Tuesday...but it is just bad business. They also used up all my gas, which probably means the car was idling for a while and they were pretty heavy on the gas pedal. I had more than a quarter of a tank when I went in, when I got the car back it had 7 miles til empty on the computer.
Old 06-21-13, 05:19 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

Two points:

Two thoughts.

1. the new engine is not ready yet due to rigorous quality testing. When was the last time we heard of a Toyota/Lexus engine have problems? Audi/VW 2.0T piston ring and oil burning issues... Ford Ecoboost 1.6/2.0/3.5L power loss and fire issues... And the list goes on.

2. Marketing strategy. Introduce the new engine and "new model" IS 200t to keep the momentum of the new model launch.

As for why buy now a '14 IS 250 as I have? Very simple. We ARE Lexus enthusiasts who just MUST have the new model the moment it comes out. I bought the CT first month it was out. Almost the same for the RX F-Sport. Certainly the 2.5L V6 lacks some low-end torque from my own experience owning the '08 IS, but what a gem of an engine. It's the best Lexus engine, short of the LS's V8 - smoothest, silkiest V6 engine I have ever driven, better than the 3.3L and 3.5L (in the RXs I have and continue to own). And yet still good for a 0-60 in 7.7 secs. The 4 turbo will highly likely be less smooth, but on the upside to the new powerplant, we can expect better fuel economy and more power (220-240 hp), something that is so-so on the 2.5L when considering a "power-to-mpg" ratio.

I like the Remote Touch. Set it to a higher resistance so it better "clicks" into the selections providing better control. No fingerprints on the touchscreen and the recessed higher screen puts it closer to your driving field of vision.

Love the IS-C!
Old 06-21-13, 06:27 AM
LexusSC430
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
Two thoughts.

1. the new engine is not ready yet due to rigorous quality testing. When was the last time we heard of a Toyota/Lexus engine have problems? Audi/VW 2.0T piston ring and oil burning issues... Ford Ecoboost 1.6/2.0/3.5L power loss and fire issues... And the list goes on.

2. Marketing strategy. Introduce the new engine and "new model" IS 200t to keep the momentum of the new model launch.

As for why buy now a '14 IS 250 as I have? Very simple. We ARE Lexus enthusiasts who just MUST have the new model the moment it comes out. I bought the CT first month it was out. Almost the same for the RX F-Sport. Certainly the 2.5L V6 lacks some low-end torque from my own experience owning the '08 IS, but what a gem of an engine. It's the best Lexus engine, short of the LS's V8 - smoothest, silkiest V6 engine I have ever driven, better than the 3.3L and 3.5L (in the RXs I have and continue to own). And yet still good for a 0-60 in 7.7 secs. The 4 turbo will highly likely be less smooth, but on the upside to the new powerplant, we can expect better fuel economy and more power (220-240 hp), something that is so-so on the 2.5L when considering a "power-to-mpg" ratio.

I like the Remote Touch. Set it to a higher resistance so it better "clicks" into the selections providing better control. No fingerprints on the touchscreen and the recessed higher screen puts it closer to your driving field of vision.

Love the IS-C!
Thank you for the feedback. I had the pleasure of having one of my dealerships first new IS350s in 2005 and the first IS-C in 2009. I think I may look elsewhere for a 3 year lease and come back to the IS.

I understand your point about the engines and such, but I would be willing to bet they have been working on new engines for years and partnering with other companies. I agree, releasing something a little later keeps it fresh, but that should be like LED DRLs, not something like an engine upgrade. I mean, if I am leasing it is one thing...but I imagine the resale value will be great when compared to a new engine. Look at the GS300 and GS350.

As for fingerprints and etc, I really don't mind that...this is about ease of use.

As I mentioned. I have had the SC430, the IS300, the IS350 and now the IS-C. I have been pretty loyal.
Old 06-21-13, 09:26 AM
mrraider
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
Two thoughts.

When was the last time we heard of a Toyota/Lexus engine have problems?
Last year: 4gr-Fse.
Old 06-21-13, 09:30 AM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Received 268 Likes on 216 Posts

What is the size of Nav screen? I heard 7" but it doesn't look that big.
Old 06-21-13, 10:17 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by mrraider
Last year: 4gr-Fse.
Yes, I heard about this. An intermittent rough idle affecting some 2.5L V6 due to carbon build-up is not as serious as manufacturer recalls on their engines, some due to fire risks. Carbon build up is normal on direct-injection engines though it has improved in recent years. The Audis/VWs have been plagued the most. For what it's worth, I never had any engine issues with my IS, not even the odd rough idle. I'm confident Lexus has dealt with the carbon build up via the TSB to existing owners and with the '14 IS 250, or at least reduced it substantially.

Quick Reply: New IS Engine and Nav/Screen concerns