IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

A small review of the IS300h.

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-13, 09:43 AM
magne
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default A small review of the IS300h.

I got the chance to test drive the Is300h F-sport for an hour today.

I thought I'd write a small review of the car. Sorry for the poor english. It is not my naitive language.
Compared to EU car reporters, I'm not all for diesel and german cars.
I've owned several brands of cars, driven many brands, worked as a car technician for mercedes, and mechanich at both audi and toyota for a short period of time, so even if I have my own opions about things, I'm not as biased as car reporters, and does not lack experience when it comes to comparing cars.

I have not driven the new 3 series, or the newest c class. So I can not compare the IS to these cars.
However I have driven the prius several times, so I can compare it to that.

I only had the chance to drive the car for an hour. The tour was made on city and country streets.

First impressions of the car.
From the outside I think the car looks stunning. Everyone have seen the pictures. It looks a bit better in reality than in pictures. I like the DRL led's and the spindle grill. When you place a numberplate on the grill, it looks very good.
I forgot my camera, so I only took a few pictures with my cell phone.

Inside, there were a lot of buttons to keep track of. SInce I only had one hour, I didn't test all the extra stuff. I played aruond a bit with the computer and stereo. Computer was a bit difficult to use while driving. It took to much attention. Same with all the buttons on the steering wheel. Maybe this will be easier when you get used to it.
The stereo had great sound. However I only I had the uppertunity to listen to radio.
I've read somewhere that the mark levinson stereo was supposed to have noise canselling function. I could not find this on this car.

The driving experience.
I tried the car in both eco, normal sport and sport+ mode.
Eco was actually nice in the IS. It had enough power for all normal driving. Compared to the prius it was a lot more powerful. I have to mention at this potin that I do not like the cvt box in the prius, and I think the prius is under powered.
The Is however had enough power in eco mode. In normal and sport mode the car actually preformed quite well. If you view the car as a luxury saloon, not a sports car, the power is more than enough.
I could not feel any difference between sport and sport+ mode when it came to the suspension. However I drove it on normal roads, and didn't get any chance to push the car around bends and curves due to traffic.

The cvt gear box was actually a quite pleasn't suprise.
I did not find it nagging or strange in any way. Because the car is well dampened, you can't hear the enigne or gearbox, so you don't get the feeling that the gearbox is sluggish or loud like in a prius. In the IS it was just there like any other gearbox, without making any fuzz.
I was a bit sceptical to the cvt before I drove it, but anyone else who is a bit sceptical can rest assured. The gearbox is absolutly fine. Just don't drive it like you drive a sports car, and you won't even notice that it is a cvt.
The cvt also has a manual mode. I tried this for a short while. This was a bit more strange, but sort of worked as well. I probably won't use this in my own car.
When you stick the car in manual mode, it has 6 gears programmed in to the cvt. When you accelerate, and have to soundgenerator turned on, you almost get the feeiling of driving a car with a normal manual gearbox. However when you coast at higher revs, the gearbox autmatically lowers the revs again, even if you're in a low gear. A bit strange as said. Didn't try it out for more than a few minuts.

I also tried the sound generator. I turned it off very quickly again. It did respond to the revs and not the speed when i tried it.

The feel of the car was very good. It felt a bit heavy, but overall stable and firm suspension.
Firm enough to give good handling, but soft enough to be comfortable over bumps and holes.
Very good turning circle because of the rwd, just as good as an 80's e-class mercedes.

The f-sport seats were very comfortable. I missed a lever that could adjust the side bolsters, since I'm a small person. I did slide around a bit in the seat. My old mr2 has this adjusment in the seats.
The f-sport steering wheel was very comfortable to hold and use. However, as already mentioned, I felt it had to many buttons.

The trunk was ok. For a hybrid sedan it is decent sized, but compared to other sedans it is small.

There were a few negatives also.
The finish of the plastic around the driving mode selector and climate controls still look and feels a bit cheap. They could at least have done some carbon pattern or something to freshen it up a bit.
The side windows are a bit low, and this gives poor visability to the sides and to the rear. But this is an issue in many modern cars.

There was a bit of road\tire noice in the f-sport. Keep in mind that the car drives om 255 tires on the rear, and norwegian asphalt is crappy. But I think it would be better if the car came equipped with michelin primacy tires instead of bridgestone.
And as mentioned before I could not find the noice cancelling option on the stereo.

I drove the car pretty light footed, however I only got 6,2 liters per 100 km in fuel consumption. Nowhere near the figure of 4,3 liters per 100km that is promised.

All in all I found the car to be a good luxury sedan. Not a sport sedan.
I drive a subaru impreza STi now, and that is a sport sedan. The lexus IS is a luxury sedan, just like an audi a4, bmw 3 and merc c. If you want it to be anything else, you'll just be dissapointed.

I have already ordered an IS300h months ago, and after the test drive, I'm still looking forward to getting my car. I do not regret ordering before I got the chance to test trive the car.

Old 06-18-13, 11:04 AM
APRacing
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i think we have to fight over Elisabeth to deside who that get our cars first....

Me and my father testdrove this same car a few days back, and i cant wait... Preliminary delivery date is first half of September

Anders
Old 06-18-13, 12:08 PM
UpSideDown
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, the car is a good cruiser. The chassis is very competent when you push it, it just a shame that the CVT transmission and the power don't match it. You mentioned that you drive a Subaru STI, the new IS F-sport looks even more aggressive than the Subaru but with a weak power train. It just feels a little bit weird to me. But anyway, we all have different taste and preferences. Thanks for the good review and enjoy your new car.
Old 06-18-13, 01:09 PM
magne
Lead Lap

Yes. The STi is in a whole other leauge, but again driving a rally car when I'm commuting to work is a bit tiresome..
I want a more relaxing and cheaper car to drive. Therefor the IS is a good choise for me.
I agree that power doesn't match looks, but there is also something elegant about the looks of the new IS. It looks more sleek than brute
But as said in the review, the power and cvt was better than expected from other reviews.

Anders:
My car now has a due date on 2. august
But they'll probably all arrive on the same batch and same boat

Last edited by magne; 06-23-13 at 06:38 AM.
Old 06-18-13, 01:27 PM
RA040224
Driver

Anders and Magne: I win! Elisabeth gets it july 5th, and I get it around the 15th

That's under a month!!!!
Old 06-19-13, 04:37 AM
magne
Lead Lap

You got the first batch.
The reason I had to get a car from the second batch was because of my special order, an F-sport without leather.
I actually ordered the car i mars.

They changed their whole option listing on the F-sport because of my order
Old 06-19-13, 05:29 AM
RA040224
Driver

No wonder they won the best customer service award

I ordered mine april 5th, production started april 19th and it was loaded on to a ship april 24th. I suspect that it's somewhere between the Netherlands and Malmö, Sweden now.
Old 06-19-13, 07:16 AM
APRacing
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by magne
Yes. The STi is in a whole other leauge, but again driving a rally car when I'm commuting to work is a bit tiresome..
I won't a more relaxing and cheaper car to drive. Therefor the IS is a good choise for me.
I agree that power doesn't match looks, but there is also something elegant about the looks of the new IS. It looks more sleek than brute
But as said in the review, the power and cvt was better than expected from other reviews.

Anders:
My car now has a due date on 2. august
But they'll probably all arrive on the same batch and same boat
You got the first batch.
The reason I had to get a car from the second batch was because of my special order, an F-sport without leather.
I actually ordered the car i mars.

They changed their whole option listing on the F-sport because of my order

I think my car would be last, as delivery date just had switched from august to september when I ordered.
Your change of the f-sport package where made availiable the same day as I got the final quote from Elisabeth, so my production order is a few days behind yours so probably a later shipment:/ (even though I choose to get the leather option in the end)
Old 06-19-13, 07:39 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,097 Likes on 1,360 Posts

thanks for the nice review!

what does an is300h f-sport cost in norway? do you get tax breaks for having a hybrid?
Old 06-19-13, 07:48 AM
mrraider
Pole Position

Tell us about battery life and fuel economy in winter. It would be nice to see how a Lexus hybrid holds up in a real winter climate.
Old 06-19-13, 09:39 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
thanks for the nice review!

what does an is300h f-sport cost in norway? do you get tax breaks for having a hybrid?
sounds awesome, thanks for the review.
Old 06-19-13, 11:16 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 288 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by mrraider
Tell us about battery life and fuel economy in winter. It would be nice to see how a Lexus hybrid holds up in a real winter climate.
My experience with two Lexus hybrids RX400h and current CT, Canadian winter adds about 15% more fuel consumption compared to a spring/summer average. I would expect something similar with the IS 300h for the lucky European and other folks who get it but us in N. America.
Old 06-19-13, 11:35 AM
magne
Lead Lap

Tax reduction:
Yes, in norway we get a "tax reduction" on hybrids.
We pay a lot in taxes on cars, and the extra power and weight from the hybrid system are free from these taxes. So it is cheaper than the equal petrol driven car. The new IS250 isn't sold in norway because of this, but the old one was a lot more expensive than the new IS300h.

The price of a fully loaded F-sport IS300h in norway is close to 100.000$
So yes, cars are very expensive here. A bmw 328 with the same equipment would be about 150.000$

when it comes to winter preformance and fuel effiency the car will use more in the winter.
However we use winter tires in norway, and these have less rolling resistance than summer tires.
Also they will probably be somewhere around 205-225 wide, so a bit narrower than the 255 with on the f-sport. This also reduces fuel consumption.
Old 06-19-13, 01:26 PM
mrraider
Pole Position

Tax reduction:
Yes, in norway we get a "tax reduction" on hybrids.
We pay a lot in taxes on cars, and the extra power and weight from the hybrid system are free from these taxes. So it is cheaper than the equal petrol driven car. The new IS250 isn't sold in norway because of this, but the old one was a lot more expensive than the new IS300h.

The price of a fully loaded F-sport IS300h in norway is close to 100.000$
So yes, cars are very expensive here. A bmw 328 with the same equipment would be about 150.000$
How much does a Volvo s60 T6 cost over their?
Old 06-19-13, 02:37 PM
APRacing
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by mrraider
How much does a Volvo s60 T6 cost over their?
Cheapest S60 T6 costs 843k nok, approx 150k usd..

Quick Reply: A small review of the IS300h.