IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

A small review of the IS300h.

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-13, 12:51 AM
magne
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

@ spwolf:

The seats in this test car was full leather. The only half leather I've seen so far was in a pre production car. They did look ok, but the cloth bit was a bit harsh in feel.

My current car uses about 12 liters per 100km when i drive the same route.
They can hardly be compared ttho, as the only similarity between the lexus and the impreza STi is the 2,5 liter engine size
Old 07-09-13, 01:49 AM
UpSideDown
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good update. No overpraises unlike some others review.

I personally would never drive the car in Eco mode unless if I want to sneak out in the night without my wife and neighbours notice me. The throttle response felt even more sluggish than the Snow mode in 250. Don't know any 250 owners can drive around in snow mode all day alone. What if you have to get out from a situation fast when you drive in eco mode? You step on the pedal though the floor and nothing is coming... I tested that when I test drove it.

The fold down rear seats would be great if they fold down flat without that incline and with larger opening. It would be more useful then.

About the light sensitivity, you can set that yourself in the car setup menu.
Old 07-09-13, 09:50 AM
magne
Lead Lap

I agree with you on the back seat, but as I understand the battery pack are so close to the rear seat that it would be impossible to make a "flat" solution.
However I did see that someone wanted to know meassurements on the opening, so i posted that.

I disagree with you when it comes to the eco mode.
Yes, throttleresponse is sluggish, but it is a good way to save fuel.
Why not use the eco mode when you can save 20-30% fuel by using it?
The car is still more responsive in eco mode than my wifes 1,4 liter 75hp hyundai

And when it comes to overtaking and sitations that require rapid respons and more power, it takes under a second to switch from eco to sport mode. Not a problem for me.
In most normal situations where you very suddenly need power, an accident is about to happen, and the normal reflex would be to brake and not accelerate.

Maybe one in ten thousand situatuions you will need that extra hp instantaly, but if this is an issue I would recomed to buy an IS350 instead. Then you have all the power avalible all the time
Otherwise, what is the point of buying a car that can run very cheap? If you don't intend to drive it like a hybrid, the whole point of it beeing a hybrid is a bit useless...
Old 07-09-13, 10:02 AM
AndyL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

This picture should give a better idea of the battery placement in IS300h.

The rectangle in solid green is the battery whereas the dotted green box is the placement in previous unspecified hybrid cars.

In the 3IS, the way Lexus puts the battery in IS300h is to ensure both gasoline (IS250/350) and IS300h get the same trunk space.
Attached Thumbnails A small review of the IS300h.-image-844014679.jpg  
Old 07-09-13, 11:27 AM
UpSideDown
Lead Lap

They removed the spare tire and placed the battery there to save the trunk space. That's why I don't get why they don't make the back seats fold flat. And also the seat lock latches should be placed on the top instead on each side of the opening. In this way the opening will be rectangle shaped instead of oval shaped. It's more useful in that way.

About the drive mode eco vs normal and sport, even it will save fuel in eco mode, I will refuse to drive the IS300h in that way. But I will drive a Prius in that way, cause it's no fun to drive it in any way what so ever. Another example, The new Audi RS6 has cylinder deactivation, so the V8 engine can shut off 4 cylinders to save fuel if you drive it very carefully. Will you drive it like that if you know it save some fuels?
Old 07-09-13, 12:29 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by UpSideDown
Good update. No overpraises unlike some others review.

I personally would never drive the car in Eco mode unless if I want to sneak out in the night without my wife and neighbours notice me. The throttle response felt even more sluggish than the Snow mode in 250. Don't know any 250 owners can drive around in snow mode all day alone. What if you have to get out from a situation fast when you drive in eco mode? You step on the pedal though the floor and nothing is coming... I tested that when I test drove it.

The fold down rear seats would be great if they fold down flat without that incline and with larger opening. It would be more useful then.

About the light sensitivity, you can set that yourself in the car setup menu.
not many cars fold completely flat, certainly not F30... most of the family cars are not completely flat, so i dont think thats an issue.

i love how well finished F30 is, lol at the metal.

for 3IS, it is an bonus basically... doesnt make it a wagon somehow.
Old 07-09-13, 01:39 PM
UpSideDown
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by spwolf
not many cars fold completely flat, certainly not F30... most of the family cars are not completely flat, so i dont think thats an issue.

i love how well finished F30 is, lol at the metal.

for 3IS, it is an bonus basically... doesnt make it a wagon somehow.
Thats pretty flat to me without any inclines like in 3IS. And see that large opening on the upper part? That is because the latches is on the top of the back seats.

Thanks for the picture that proofs what I meant.
Old 07-09-13, 02:09 PM
magne
Lead Lap

If that is the case with the batteries, I can't see why they did the stuipid solution that is there.
But hey, the last Is couldn't fold down the rear seats at all. Neither can my impreza.

If I had a "magical" button in my impreza STi, that gave me the abality to drive the car in an eco mode, and only consume 50% of fuel compared to normal, i would absolutly have it, and use it every time I was comuting.
When I wanted to go fast, just flick the switch, and have the normal 300hp that always is there and consumes fuel. Love the idea

That is why I like the lexus and the fact that it has both an eco mode and a sport mode.
I can make the car use 4 liters per 100km if I want to, so i can commute cheap.
And I can make the car behave like a sport saloon, and have fun with it. If I want to.

I understand that not everyone share my opionion in this matter. I just don't see the point of driving a hybrid if you are going to drive it like a sportscar all the time. Then I believe the IS350 is a much better choise.
Would I drive an RS6 in an careful way if it saved me 50% of the fuel becuase of the cylinder deactivation? Yes, probably when comuting. The road I use are single laned and there is always someone in front of me.
However I would not drive it like that when I was out to drive for fun.

That is why I like to have the eco option in the IS300h. I can drive it very cheap, and actually i found that the eco mode made me drive much more relaxed.
However I can also use the sport mode when driving for fun, overtaking or other aggresive driving.
Old 07-09-13, 02:30 PM
AndyL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Thats pretty flat to me without any inclines like in 3IS. And see that large opening on the upper part? That is because the latches is on the top of the back seats.

Thanks for the picture that proofs what I meant.
This picture is great and it was shot with a good angle. Usually the metal on top of the the inside of the trunk is not very visible. But Lexus has already been paying attention to such details and it is one of the reasons why I like this brand.

With some cost cutting measures seen in the door panel of the 3IS, it is a relief that they still preserve the finishing inside the trunk. One omission is the on/off switch for the trunk light but it is not difficult to put one back.

Clearly the opening in F30 is more useful. Also note the 40/20/40 split? The centre portion can be folded down while seating 2 passengers at the back means a ski trip of 4 with some equipment.

Well, at least Lexus made an improvement over the 2IS. It is better than nothing. It has been a nuisance to cover the back seats with thick materials in order to transport the wheels and tires twice a year in the 2IS back passenger seats.
Old 07-09-13, 02:48 PM
UpSideDown
Lead Lap

@magne

I understand your point of view. If Lexus hasn't claimed it to be sporty and focusing on ride comfort and fuel saving I would be quiet. IS300h is a heavy car, it not that fun when you throw it around on a twisted road when you are in the mode and get tired of driving in Eco mode for a while.

Don't know if you have seen this video yet?

Old 07-09-13, 03:24 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

interesting video and comments.
Old 07-09-13, 03:25 PM
RA040224
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I saw that video, and when I drove the IS 300h it did not behave like that at all. But then I didn't floor it coming out of every turn (but I did accelerate). I think it depends on your driving style. My last car was a Ford Kuga, which didn't exactly inspire sporty driving (but it was a fantastic car every other way!) so I think I have a pretty relaxed style, that hopefully will be a perfect match with the 300h

As I wrote in another post, when I drove it and accelerated, the engine went up to about 3000 rpm and increased up to 6000 rpm as I gained speed. Not at all like I'm hearing in the video. Maybe it jumps directly to 6000 if you floor the pedal.
Old 07-09-13, 03:43 PM
UpSideDown
Lead Lap

I did step the gas pedal to the floor when coming out of a 90 degree corner. The back wheels spined but the rear just wont come lose like 250 due to the extra weight of the battery in the back. Just like in the video.

And yes, the rpm goes whole way to 6000 after a bit hesitation when you floor it. I felt there is a kick down switch when I floored it.
Old 07-09-13, 04:08 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

I did step the gas pedal to the floor when coming out of a 90 degree corner. The back wheels spined but the rear just wont come lose like 250 due to the extra weight of the battery in the back. Just like in the video.

And yes, the rpm goes whole way to 6000 after a bit hesitation when you floor it. I felt there is a kick down switch when I floored it.

probably due to better suspension than 250 too, as 250 isnt that strong at all and it shouldnt break rear lose unless you have bad tires.

as to 6000, yeah, it will go to the limit... should it not go to the maximum rpm?
Old 07-09-13, 04:32 PM
magne
Lead Lap

Since I borrowed a test car from the dealership, I din't push any limits with the car.
But I did test how it was to drive a bit aggresive, like I drive my subaru normally.

I also got the rev counter to keep steady at about 6000rpm, and I tried some corners fast.
Through the corners, the car felt very heavy when driving agressive. It felt a bit nervous and even tho the back end never did let go, it felt like it was about to when pushing the car.
My subau feels like it is supposed to thrown around corners.
In the lexus it kind of felt a bit wrong to drive like this. It never felt like the car was ment to driven in an aggresive way.

To me the lexus feels like a decent powered luxury sedan, that is ment to be fast but not agressive.
It behaves very comfortable on twisting roads. But as soon as you drive it agressive on twisting roads, it feels like it wasen't ment to do that. Sort of like when you drive a big mercedes or any SUV aggresive around narrow roads.
Even tho the car was stable and didn't lean over a lot, it still didn't give me the confidence to give more throttle around the corners.
This is where the weight is really felt. Even tho the susension is good, and car is powerful. The weight makes the car feel to heavy to drive it aggresive.

Maybe the 250\350 feels better because of less weight.
But I never bought the IS because of it's handling, sportiness or power.
Then I could just have kept my subaru.
I bought the lexus because it is a comfortable ride with good build quality and low cost in both fuel consumption and maintenance. Also it can tow a small trailer (750kg) and the seats fold down so you can carry something long.
My subaru can't do anything listed above, other than to tow a trailer.
So if you expect the IS to be some sort of sportcar, the 300h will dissapoint. But if you want it to be a quick but cheap running comfortable luxury sedan, it will absulutly please

Quick Reply: A small review of the IS300h.