IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

2014 IS 350 (non F Sport) dealer unveiling, my thoughts

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-13, 12:14 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 106 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by RXSF
so what is the consensus on engine bay covers...because seems like Lexus cant win. Also, that seems like the same amount of plastic as before.

I agree the remote touch area looks cheap, especially considering the current IS has a large piece of wood there. Also the nav screen can be at least two inches larger. Lexus had a chance to make their cars unique by adding a 12 inch screen in every model like bmw does but they blew it big.

Remote touch seems to be getting more and more disappointing reviews since they switched to the floating pad instead of a rotary based pad like in my RX. Again this was just cost savings since they did not need to redesign the whole navigation GUI and just stuck a controller to it
it is certainly not large area of wood... i have 2IS, and it is tiny and looks out of place... and mine has black wood too which looks the best..

Also, 2IS has a lot of plastic everywhere that likes to creak.... 3IS has more leather everywhere including knee pads.

So far we have had reviews from 4 people who like new IS and 1 person who doesnt.
Old 04-05-13, 01:32 AM
UpSideDown
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I feel pretty much the same when I checked out the 300h F-sport.

The whole car is a mix of good and bad (new and old) things.

Here is some of them (personal opinions):

Front of the car (f-sport grill & spearated LED and headlights) = BAD, Rear of the car (from B pillar) = GOOD

New sport pedal = GOOD, old foot operated parking brake beside of it = BAD

New steering wheel + light & wiper stalks = GOOD, old toyota cruise control stalk = BAD

New clusters (LFA styled & non f-sport) = GOOD, Small NAV screen with fat black borders = BAD

New "LFA or CT200 style" center console idea =GOOD, Material of center console and the design of the buttons and layout = BAD (Does Lexus like Volvos boring center console buttons? cause thats what reminds me of.)

Fold down rear seats = GOOD, small opening with the seat not fold down flat = BAD (pretty useless. I would rather have a roof rack instead.)

Gone with the plastic panels in engine bay = GOOD, Ugly new engine cover + messy layout = BAD

I hope Lexus address these areas on the next refresh.
Old 04-05-13, 02:08 AM
oztiks
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
it is certainly not large area of wood... i have 2IS, and it is tiny and looks out of place... and mine has black wood too which looks the best..

Also, 2IS has a lot of plastic everywhere that likes to creak.... 3IS has more leather everywhere including knee pads.

So far we have had reviews from 4 people who like new IS and 1 person who doesnt.
If you think that's leather you are dearly mistaken...
Old 04-05-13, 02:44 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by oztiks
If you think that's leather you are dearly mistaken...
better than cheap plastic hitting my knee in 2IS... a lot better.
Old 04-05-13, 04:25 AM
UpSideDown
Lead Lap

better than cheap plastic hitting my knee in 2IS... a lot better.
How do you manage to hit your knee? I'm 190cm and don't hit my knee anywhere in my IS. Just wondering.
Old 04-05-13, 08:06 AM
Stylnhonda
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I keep going back and forth. I want to wait it out for the 2015 or so, but I feel like I want something in the next few months. I can't get over the steering wheel controls. Blah, and you have to look at them all of the time.
Old 04-05-13, 09:19 AM
Mr. Burns
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm waiting it out until 2015 as well, hopefully by then the bugs have been worked out and Lexus decides to bring the hybrid over.
Old 04-05-13, 09:24 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by UpSideDown
How do you manage to hit your knee? I'm 190cm and don't hit my knee anywhere in my IS. Just wondering.
you dont rest your knee on central tunel during long drives? I do. Hitting hard plastics is not nice... sure none of the competitors had kneepads, until now... so for me it is nice thing to show 3IS is above its class and imho it is more important than LED lights for instance.
Old 04-05-13, 11:41 AM
UpSideDown
Lead Lap

you dont rest your knee on central tunel during long drives? I do. Hitting hard plastics is not nice... sure none of the competitors had kneepads, until now... so for me it is nice thing to show 3IS is above its class and imho it is more important than LED lights for instance.
I do rest my right leg on the side of the center tunnel but I don't feel uncomfortable doing it. Maybe it's because my f-sport seat has higher side bolster and the front part of the seat is tilt up a bit so my leg doesn't put any weight on the tunnel.
Old 04-05-13, 02:49 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by UpSideDown
I do rest my right leg on the side of the center tunnel but I don't feel uncomfortable doing it. Maybe it's because my f-sport seat has higher side bolster and the front part of the seat is tilt up a bit so my leg doesn't put any weight on the tunnel.
its not something that bugs me like crazy, i dont get red marks from resting it on plastic, it is just really nicer to have leather pad there... Creaky plastic is something that is bugging me a lot more these days than any kind of design "issue". I bought the car because it was step up from competition but I think that MY 2IS is class under both 3GS and 4GS.... I had 3GS for 3 years and when it comes to quality and interior quality, 3GS is better in everything possible than 2IS and 4GS is better in every way possible than 3GS :-).
Old 04-05-13, 05:13 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

what is interesting is that Im 6ft and I dont know if its how I sit or the way my foot is angled on the pedals, but legs never touch the tunnel
Old 04-05-13, 09:28 PM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 87 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by oztiks
All said-and-done I was immensely underwhelmed and was really hoping seeing the car in person was going to change my opinion from being so negative to something positive. I can honestly say the car did nothing for me. I don't think it's a poor purchasing decision for anyone, but I don't think they will retain many 2IS buyers with the 3IS.

Amazing how opinions can differ

Here's an alternative opinion by another CL forum member who saw and experienced the car first hand :

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/7863043-post13.html

Originally Posted by bjcdvm
First time poster...

I was at JM Lexus in south Florida having routine maintenance performed on my current IS250. When I came back to pick up my car, I saw all of the employees gathered around none other than the new 3IS (standard 350). The car looks AMAZING both inside and out.

I was extremely impressed with the interior; I thought my current car with navi was great until I sat in this thing. The seats felt great, the climate controls were ergonomically oriented, and the finish exuded quality (soft touches everywhere). The electrostatic temperature controls worked as advertised. The bump in the dash in front of the front passenger seat actually flows well when looking at it from the driver's seat and the rear seats. I must admit that the navigation screen did seem a bit small, especially with the large space they had cut out for it. The room in the backseat is very much improved- I've got long legs and fit with no problem. Trunk size appears to be bigger (I have seen some conflicting info on this), and the 60/40 split is a very welcome addition!

I waited to form an opinion on the exterior styling until I actually saw the car in person, and I have to say that I am sold on the looks. The spindle front looks sharp and aggressive. The car looks to be in better proportions with the stretched wheelbase. The back end looked nice as well, especially with the "L"exus taillights. I believe this car had 18" rims on it, but may be mistaken.

Overall, I was very impressed with this pre-production model. The employees also seemed impressed and extremely excited. As long as pricing remains competitive, I will most likely returning to lease this car in December when my current lease is up. If only they had brought the IS300h...then there would have been no question about my next car.
Old 04-05-13, 11:31 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

I've read in several 3IS threads that some people are stating Lexus is purposely omitting or downgrading certain interior features, only to bring them back to an average standard or add them for a refresh. Nothing can be further from the truth and that is not how the auto business works. Car makers do not purposely redesign models to be worse than their replacement models. That method of business would lead to certain failure and clearly lower the bar for the company or make. The better brands who have their ish together get it right from the start, enjoy robust sales out of the gate, do not have to change or add much for a refresh, and don't have to backtrack (like Honda just did with the Civic).
Now, I'm not saying Lexus is lagging at all. I'm just saying the idea that they are purposely reserving the opportunity to "fix" or add things for a refresh is silly.
By the way, my setiments only refer to interior touches and options, not mechanics or engines. Leaving the base 2.5 V6 pat is for another thread.
Old 04-06-13, 08:28 AM
Xanadu350
Racer

Received 137 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
I've read in several 3IS threads that some people are stating Lexus is purposely omitting or downgrading certain interior features, only to bring them back to an average standard or add them for a refresh. Nothing can be further from the truth and that is not how the auto business works. Car makers do not purposely redesign models to be worse than their replacement models. That method of business would lead to certain failure and clearly lower the bar for the company or make. The better brands who have their ish together get it right from the start, enjoy robust sales out of the gate, do not have to change or add much for a refresh, and don't have to backtrack (like Honda just did with the Civic).
Now, I'm not saying Lexus is lagging at all. I'm just saying the idea that they are purposely reserving the opportunity to "fix" or add things for a refresh is silly.
By the way, my setiments only refer to interior touches and options, not mechanics or engines. Leaving the base 2.5 V6 pat is for another thread.

I understand what your saying but I just don't agree. All companies are looking to cut costs now more than ever in history...car companies are no exception. I have not seen the car in person so I can only form an opinion from what others have seen and from pictures. The look of the navigation screen now....just screams...I will be made larger in time. It is not just forum members who are noticing this but now it's showing up in the video reviews as well. There is room for improvement in this area and a bezel already in place to maximize width. Why not just make it better the first time and not later? I'd say costs? or holding out so they can make changes later...lease is up in 2/3 yrs and now they bring a larger navi?

Then I am reading alot of F-sport members here are upset that options are not being made available or being taken away, why not just make all options available and let the customer choose what they want on their vehicle? Let the customer choose if they want real leather or Nulux, Are these due to cost of production? If they just included all options as "availble" customer would be less likely to wait another year longer or worst jump to another brand.
Old 04-07-13, 01:34 AM
TXDriver
Driver School Candidate

When I first saw the 3IS at a car show I was pretty intrigued. I put it on my short list for my new car in the next 12 months. Not so sure anymore. Thanks for the review.

edit: some are reporting this car was a pre-production. Of course I'll wait to see/drive the production version before I make up my mind.

Last edited by TXDriver; 04-07-13 at 02:10 AM.

Quick Reply: 2014 IS 350 (non F Sport) dealer unveiling, my thoughts