IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

2014 IS 350 (non F Sport) dealer unveiling, my thoughts

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-13, 01:25 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by oztiks
Why would I not be hypercritical? P.S, your video actually shows a great example of the new climate control design being nothing more than gimmicky and also likely to frustrate buyers.

I had a jaguar XF in which they tried desperately to use surfaces like that to do things such as lighting, glove compartment release, etc. It was a great idea except for the fact it was wrought with issues (didnt respond to half the touches); and is also completely useless if you have gloves on. I am not sure if the lexus climate control mechanism will be useless with gloves, but i am hoping they thought ahead for that.
is your 90's era touch screen useless with gloves?
Old 04-30-13, 03:08 PM
oztiks
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
is your 90's era touch screen useless with gloves?

Since you are making direct jabs, here we go, try to keep up. Hate to burst the bubble of ignorance in which you exist.

open google
search for "resistive vs capacap active touch screen"
read the differences
try to comprehend them
read again
keep reading

now, take a guess at which screen my "90's era touch screen" is made with, and why it works when your hands are gloved.

now, again, try to follow -

guess what the HVAC controls in the new IS use? Hint - the opposite of the "90'S era display." (cap active, which means they won't work reliably if anything is on your hands)

if you are going to make antagonistic jabs make sure you arent so completely oblivious on the subject matter.

FYI - i will not be responding to any more of your commentary.
Old 05-01-13, 09:09 AM
eightysix
Driver School Candidate

I agree with you on everything, really disappointed.
And to the guy who said the bmw F30 has cheap finish, the F30 interior is for me way more attractive and clean for the eye while the new IS is way too complicated for me it's like 5 different interiors put together. Just look at the photo. I think they did an okay job on the GS interior, why did they have to mess the is up like that?

I can't even believe they still put such old style gear shifter in the new IS? didn't they see other car manufacturers have been replacing those by innovative touch or button systems. Look at BMW, Jaguar...

also are they serious putting the same 1980 sunroof AGAIN ? really can't believe that
every other car brand has nice panorama sunroof systems with a good wind deflector that opens in the front. My sunroof on my current IS has terrible turbulence noise because there is no deflector
Attached Thumbnails 2014 IS 350 (non F Sport) dealer unveiling, my thoughts-f30-bmw-3-series-11.jpg  
Old 05-01-13, 10:21 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

if you ever have been F30, you will know what I am talking about... maybe you are only looking at the pics? Too bad you cant sit in photoshopped interior with million light sources :-).

F30 got 8 points for fit an finish in BMW loving Car and Driver vs 10 for IS350 F-Sport. They stated IS350 has better quality interior.
Old 05-01-13, 10:25 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by oztiks
Since you are making direct jabs, here we go, try to keep up. Hate to burst the bubble of ignorance in which you exist.
you are probably only person left who thinks resistive is better than capacitive... its not. It was source of plenty of complaints as well, due to bad response from the unit compared to modern screens.

And of course capacitive can work with gloves (working gloves?)... its not an screen, sensor is under it and configured differently.

I am only responding to you since you believe your IS is somehow made from gold... its not. It has plenty of issues and you can read about many of them in IS forums here, including squeaks and rattles and outdated multimedia.

I dont see anything better in old IS than new... well, maybe door storage is nicer in old one than new one.... but there are at least 30 other things I can name that are better in new one than old one. At least.
Old 05-01-13, 10:30 AM
yycdave
Driver

Originally Posted by eightysix
And to the guy who said the bmw F30 has cheap finish, the F30 interior is for me way more attractive and clean for the eye while the new IS is way too complicated for me it's like 5 different interiors put together. Just look at the photo. I think they did an okay job on the GS interior, why did they have to mess the is up like that?

I can't even believe they still put such old style gear shifter in the new IS? didn't they see other car manufacturers have been replacing those by innovative touch or button systems. Look at BMW, Jaguar...

also are they serious putting the same 1980 sunroof AGAIN ? really can't believe that
every other car brand has nice panorama sunroof systems with a good wind deflector that opens in the front. My sunroof on my current IS has terrible turbulence noise because there is no deflector
To me, that looks pretty nice. But it looks pretty staid and dated, too (Except for the shifter - like that shifter).
Old 05-01-13, 03:25 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by eightysix

You're talking about fit and finish that's fine ok. But then you throw in a subjective opinion ie design. That does not apply.

Fit and Finish and material quality has nothing to do with design which is subjective.

You prefer the "design" of the F30 better than the 3IS. Thats cool. But the materials in the F30 are subpar to it's competition (especially) for the price. Not that the C-Class, 3IS, A4 are miles better, but they are better.
Old 05-02-13, 01:49 AM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 87 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
if you ever have been F30, you will know what I am talking about... maybe you are only looking at the pics? Too bad you cant sit in photoshopped interior with million light sources :-).

F30 got 8 points for fit an finish in BMW loving Car and Driver vs 10 for IS350 F-Sport. They stated IS350 has better quality interior.

Completely agree. The F30 makes the F10 irrelevant EXCEPT for the horrible fit and finish of the interior. I should know. I test drove a Sport Line 335i and was quite impressed by it safe the downmarket interior.

And BTW, the silly design decision to stick the monitor high up on the 3 series dash accomplishes two things :

1) It makes the dash looks like it has a cheap aftermarket GPS install
2) say hello to sunlight glare

Last edited by natnut; 05-02-13 at 01:52 AM.
Old 05-02-13, 08:43 AM
Mr. Burns
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm not a fan of the BMW shifter.
Old 05-02-13, 01:47 PM
GrandSedanFan
Instructor

Received 184 Likes on 131 Posts

Capacitive HVAC controls? Pass.