IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Hoovey Review: 3rd Generation IS

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-13, 11:21 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

i think europe gets both 8 speaker and premium version, plus ML... and also we got 8 speaker before as well.
Old 04-12-13, 08:20 AM
LexFather

Hoovey, great review, thanks so much this helps a ton. There is one here now for training so I might go to check it out. The crazy thing is I'm not breaking my neck to go see it like I usually am which is highly unusual.
Old 04-12-13, 09:29 AM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

Spy, I cant remember which thread you were talking about the smart access unlocking before you actually touch the handle but I tested it and for sure, it does not unlock until there is actual skin contact
Old 04-12-13, 11:17 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by RXSF
Spy, I cant remember which thread you were talking about the smart access unlocking before you actually touch the handle but I tested it and for sure, it does not unlock until there is actual skin contact
yeah, i did too... it needs tiny touch, like it is electro-static or something.
Old 04-12-13, 02:39 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by 802.11b
How does the 8 speaker system sound compared to the 13 speaker system in the current generation?
It was pretty "crisp" for lack of a better word. In all honesty I'm not the biggest audiophile so I don't know much about treble/mid, but it's not half bad. The ML however you can notice the clarity for sure
Old 04-12-13, 02:55 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by Blueprint
Hoovey, great review, thanks so much this helps a ton. There is one here now for training so I might go to check it out. The crazy thing is I'm not breaking my neck to go see it like I usually am which is highly unusual.
No problem bro. The lack of commitment towards showing the 3IS off was discouraging to me. The training program said we were "lucky" to have the two that we did, when the reality is there are a whole bunch of them in Austin, Texas being driven by Lexus employees and journalists. So I tried to do what I could with the static review about everything I could see, touch, hear (I forwent the taste and smell ) on the 3IS.

I've recently found Lexus to be a mixed bag. The GS is brilliant. ES not so much. LS is refreshed but stale on our lots. RX still sells in droves but the lack of things like rear heated seats and a panoramic roof (both can be had on a new fully loaded Pathfinder for $35,000 OTD) irk me. GX is dying on lots and the LX is showing it's age too. CT is nice enough (13 finally gained power seat for the passenger) but could use a full spindle and more powertrain options. RC, NX, LC/SC are taking forever to get here. Oh and the F marque can't be a marque when there is one car in it's stable. Suffice to say I too am not the happiest with Lexus at the moment.

I'll wait until I can actually drive the car in May, but being an employee of an Automall with five different makes, I'm tempted to lease something else other than a Lexus (who surprisingly didn't want to help get me into a GSh or IS-F). 550i here I might come .
Old 04-13-13, 07:25 PM
player1
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411

I'll wait until I can actually drive the car in May, but being an employee of an Automall with five different makes, I'm tempted to lease something else other than a Lexus (who surprisingly didn't want to help get me into a GSh or IS-F). 550i here I might come .
Hoovey, it's funny you say that because that is exactly what I'm looking to do. Don't get me wrong, I got a lot of love for Lexus, and will ALWAYS have a lot of respect for them. I have really enjoyed my IS 350 which I bought new. I'm actually keeping it in the family and giving to my younger brother. There are some things that I am not really fond of however in the 3IS: NuLux, same engine specs, larger curb weight, weird interior dash lines (why is the screen recessed back so far?), the middle vent console were all pretty big turn offs. I've always been loyal to Japanese car makers but decided to venture into the German realm. All I can say is that, the driving experience is much more "enjoyable" and I love the forced induction aspect of it. A LOT of tuning ability if you want. Either way, I'm in the process of getting a 13' 550i M sport Package, fully loaded. (The decision for me was between buying a 3IS F sport package, buying a new s4, or leasing a new 550i, after having driven an S4, S5, e63 amg, a7, m3, 550i, all within the last week, some back to back and some multiple times, the 550i m sport IMO is a winner) Refined yet a lot of fun to drive. Should have one within the next couple of weeks hopefully. If Lexus comes out with the GS-F or when they release the LF-LC, I'll be more than happy to venture back to Lexus but for now, I think I'm going to give the Germans a try.
Old 04-13-13, 10:02 PM
LexFather

No problem bro. The lack of commitment towards showing the 3IS off was discouraging to me. The training program said we were "lucky" to have the two that we did, when the reality is there are a whole bunch of them in Austin, Texas being driven by Lexus employees and journalists. So I tried to do what I could with the static review about everything I could see, touch, hear (I forwent the taste and smell ) on the 3IS.
I hear you bro, we appreciate it. The one here no **** was here for an hour and left so didn't get a chance to see it. Maybe they plan on really showing out with the planned IS/GS/CT Fpsort events nationwide.

As a GS lover for a decade I am all to aware how Lexus offers sport sedans but dealers and sales people ignore them and just rather sell an easy ES or RX. Lexus Japan is on to something good here, I hope their own dealers here want to sell and promote the product instead of offering every excuse why it doesn't sell.

I've recently found Lexus to be a mixed bag. The GS is brilliant. ES not so much. LS is refreshed but stale on our lots. RX still sells in droves but the lack of things like rear heated seats and a panoramic roof (both can be had on a new fully loaded Pathfinder for $35,000 OTD) irk me. GX is dying on lots and the LX is showing it's age too. CT is nice enough (13 finally gained power seat for the passenger) but could use a full spindle and more powertrain options. RC, NX, LC/SC are taking forever to get here. Oh and the F marque can't be a marque when there is one car in it's stable. Suffice to say I too am not the happiest with Lexus at the moment.
I agree with you again, Lexus is getting better but I don't think its enough and hopefully the Yen at 100 can help tons. I heard 2014 models brings GX and CT facelift finally. Heck I need to tell you my struggles with Lexus as well, email coming. I would have loved a panamaric roof or dual sunroofs in the GS (which ES has lol). A lot of things are mind boggling but mahn drove her GS F-sport today and its just a great drive.

In the same boat...Lexus just is dropping the ball with us enthusiasts which is ironic as they offer F-sport and JAPAN wants us. Audi S5 looking really good and wife loves Audi.
Old 04-14-13, 01:08 AM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 449 Likes on 294 Posts

Judging by how well the 4GS handled, I thought the 3IS would be even better again.
However, I then stumbled across these two youtube videos of test drives:

Looks like the new 3IS doesn't handle as well relative to the 3 Series and C Class, as the 4GS handles relative to the 5 Series and E Class.
One possible explanation could be the 3IS weight relative to its peers?
Does anyone know the weight of the 3IS relative to the 3 Series and C Class in both 4 cylinder turbo and six cylinder for the latter two?

I have a hunch that because the 3IS and 4GS share platforms, their weight lies somewhere in between the German compacts and German midsize?
Thus, the 4GS being lighter, [and with a number of complaints for creaks and rattles], handles better than the German midsize conterparts?
Meanwhile the 3IS is heavier than the 3 Series and C Class doesn't seem to handle as well as the German compacts in the youtube videos above?
So, just a threory/speculation only.
Will be interesting to see how the 3IS turns out.

If the 3IS had its own dedicated platform, then certainly it would be lighter, and more competitive relative to the 3 Series and C Class.
However, life is a compromise, and the greater weight of the IS will often bring greater torsional rigidity and bending stiffness to the 3IS, and greater refinement to the 3IS in terms of creaks and rattles and overall quietness relative to the lighter German compacts...

Last edited by peteharvey; 04-14-13 at 01:12 AM.
Old 04-14-13, 03:26 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

pretty much every review I ever read on 3IS from anyone said that C class handles miserably on the track.... I dont think it is any heavier than C class at all also.
Old 04-14-13, 09:13 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

I wouldn't use these online "Automotive journalists" as any source of information. Youtube lets anybody with an iPhone and a suction mount produce a semi-professional looking "review". The first guy's issue was "While it handles flatter, is much stiffer, and is more enjoyable to drive it still feels similar to the previous IS, so we wouldn't call it all new". Well...I think if you drove any new model of an established product its going to feel evolutionary. What makes the current 3 series feel "totally different" than any prior 3 series? Neither review made any mention of the C Class.

Obviously both these "reviews" came from the same event, note all the establishing shots and vehicle shots are the same?

I think we need to wait and let the car get into the hands of real automotive press before we pass judgement.
Old 04-14-13, 10:24 AM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by player1
Hoovey, it's funny you say that because that is exactly what I'm looking to do. Don't get me wrong, I got a lot of love for Lexus, and will ALWAYS have a lot of respect for them. I have really enjoyed my IS 350 which I bought new. I'm actually keeping it in the family and giving to my younger brother. There are some things that I am not really fond of however in the 3IS: NuLux, same engine specs, larger curb weight, weird interior dash lines (why is the screen recessed back so far?), the middle vent console were all pretty big turn offs. I've always been loyal to Japanese car makers but decided to venture into the German realm. All I can say is that, the driving experience is much more "enjoyable" and I love the forced induction aspect of it. A LOT of tuning ability if you want. Either way, I'm in the process of getting a 13' 550i M sport Package, fully loaded. (The decision for me was between buying a 3IS F sport package, buying a new s4, or leasing a new 550i, after having driven an S4, S5, e63 amg, a7, m3, 550i, all within the last week, some back to back and some multiple times, the 550i m sport IMO is a winner) Refined yet a lot of fun to drive. Should have one within the next couple of weeks hopefully. If Lexus comes out with the GS-F or when they release the LF-LC, I'll be more than happy to venture back to Lexus but for now, I think I'm going to give the Germans a try.
We're thinking alike then. I'll probably be in a 550i before July

As a GS lover for a decade I am all to aware how Lexus offers sport sedans but dealers and sales people ignore them and just rather sell an easy ES or RX. Lexus Japan is on to something good here, I hope their own dealers here want to sell and promote the product instead of offering every excuse why it doesn't sell.
Agreed

I agree with you again, Lexus is getting better but I don't think its enough and hopefully the Yen at 100 can help tons. I heard 2014 models brings GX and CT facelift finally. Heck I need to tell you my struggles with Lexus as well, email coming. I would have loved a panamaric roof or dual sunroofs in the GS (which ES has lol). A lot of things are mind boggling but mahn drove her GS F-sport today and its just a great drive.
Looking forward to your email. Yeah that GS F-Sport is a real sweetheart

In the same boat...Lexus just is dropping the ball with us enthusiasts which is ironic as they offer F-sport and JAPAN wants us. Audi S5 looking really good and wife loves Audi.
Yup kinda funny how that works. S5 is a nice choice. A co-worker picked up a convertible one (I prefer the V8 coupe myself - but they'll all be supercharged 6 soon). I'll probably keep my 2IS as it's payed for, but like I mentioned to player1, I'll probably lease a 550i before July. We shall see
Old 04-14-13, 02:04 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by peteharvey
Judging by how well the 4GS handled, I thought the 3IS would be even better again.
However, I then stumbled across these two youtube videos of test drives:
http://youtu.be/IMR3dnsGCjw
http://youtu.be/VLu6pm6a1UM

Looks like the new 3IS doesn't handle as well relative to the 3 Series and C Class, as the 4GS handles relative to the 5 Series and E Class.
One possible explanation could be the 3IS weight relative to its peers?
Does anyone know the weight of the 3IS relative to the 3 Series and C Class in both 4 cylinder turbo and six cylinder for the latter two?

I have a hunch that because the 3IS and 4GS share platforms, their weight lies somewhere in between the German compacts and German midsize?
Thus, the 4GS being lighter, [and with a number of complaints for creaks and rattles], handles better than the German midsize conterparts?
Meanwhile the 3IS is heavier than the 3 Series and C Class doesn't seem to handle as well as the German compacts in the youtube videos above?
So, just a threory/speculation only.
Will be interesting to see how the 3IS turns out.

If the 3IS had its own dedicated platform, then certainly it would be lighter, and more competitive relative to the 3 Series and C Class.
However, life is a compromise, and the greater weight of the IS will often bring greater torsional rigidity and bending stiffness to the 3IS, and greater refinement to the 3IS in terms of creaks and rattles and overall quietness relative to the lighter German compacts...
Can you post that in this thread and not Hoovey's review
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...and-press.html

I've driven the C-class extensively, all models and it doesn't handle or drive as good as the CURRENT IS let alone the new one (I assume and from what other professional reviews have said). Its nice and good looking but nothing sporty at all, very relaxed until you get to C63/Black Series territory (which is amazing b/c they drive like totally different animals).

Originally Posted by spwolf
pretty much every review I ever read on 3IS from anyone said that C class handles miserably on the track.... I dont think it is any heavier than C class at all also.
Yeah no way a C-class drives better, the C-class drives very relaxed. A good drive but not sporty.

We're thinking alike then. I'll probably be in a 550i before July

Agreed

Looking forward to your email. Yeah that GS F-Sport is a real sweetheart

Yup kinda funny how that works. S5 is a nice choice. A co-worker picked up a convertible one (I prefer the V8 coupe myself - but they'll all be supercharged 6 soon). I'll probably keep my 2IS as it's payed for, but like I mentioned to player1, I'll probably lease a 550i before July. We shall see
Damn that would be crazy to see you in a 550! Then again that would be dope!
Old 06-29-13, 01:06 PM
Andream90
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What about the underbody? is it covered?
Old 06-29-13, 02:30 PM
AndyL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Andream90
What about the underbody? is it covered?
Yes, it is covered partially. See my comment to your reply in the other thread.