IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

2014 IS Moving Backwards

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-13, 01:52 PM
oztiks
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SW13GS
LOL, have you ever been in a CT? I continue to find it laughable that you can continue to deride this car without ever having seen it.

I can say with absolute confidence it will be nicer inside than a CT (which is pretty cheap inside IMHO). I wouldn't call the outgoing IS "excellent quality" inside anyways...cost cutting is very apparent in the 2IS IMHO.

i am utterly confused - based on your philosophy one cannot judge the quality of a car without having intimate experience with it. i dont see a 2is anywhere in your 'owned' list. did you drive one, once, and make this assessment?
Old 06-13-13, 02:18 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I don't know what this debate is about. Kinda nonproductive.
The IS is an entry level car and you can't expect the interior to be at the quality of a GS or LS.
But it is nice and nicer than other comparable cars.

I'm not looking for it to be ultra-luxury. i'm looking for it to be durable, fashionable and affordable....relatively speaking.

I've seen the car up close and imo it's nice. More than that it's roomier that the outgoing car. That's numero uno for me.
Old 06-13-13, 03:01 PM
Ramon
Lexus Champion

LOL, have you ever been in a CT? I continue to find it laughable that you can continue to deride this car without ever having seen it.

I can say with absolute confidence it will be nicer inside than a CT (which is pretty cheap inside IMHO). I wouldn't call the outgoing IS "excellent quality" inside anyways...cost cutting is very apparent in the 2IS IMHO.
I've been in a CT multiple times and driven one multiple times too. I continue to find it laughable that my opinion matters so deeply to you. Yes, I can come to certain conclusions without having actually sat in the 3IS. That won't change no matter how much it bothers you. Get over it or place me on your ignore list. Problem solved.

What's funny is that my negative opinions aren't "valid" because I don't have intimate experience with the car, but your positive ones, without having intimate experience with the car are somehow valid. Your logic needs some work.

Last edited by Ramon; 06-13-13 at 03:06 PM.
Old 06-13-13, 03:18 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 449 Likes on 294 Posts

Forum members have a right to voice their opinion on the car.
Steve, is it possible for you to focus voicing your own opinion "on the car", rather than continually voicing your opinions about "other people's opinions"?
Thereby denying them of the right to an opinion.
It's becoming a bad habit.
Old 06-13-13, 04:30 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,519 Likes on 1,817 Posts

Originally Posted by oztiks
i am utterly confused - based on your philosophy one cannot judge the quality of a car without having intimate experience with it. i dont see a 2is anywhere in your 'owned' list. did you drive one, once, and make this assessment?
I never said that you have to have an "intimate" experience with a car, I do however think you should sit in and preferably at least drive a car before passing judgement on it.

I have driven numerous 2IS's over the years, on test drives and as loaners. Its a nice little car, but I wouldn't say that it was free from cost cutting lets just put it that way.

Originally Posted by peteharvey
Steve, is it possible for you to focus voicing your own opinion "on the car", rather than continually voicing your opinions about "other people's opinions"?
Thereby denying them of the right to an opinion.
Theres the right to have an opinion, and then theres folks that think just because they have an opinion they have the right to voice it over and over again, and somehow bring every discussion back to a discussion about their opinion. I have been as guilty of this as anybody in the past, but its annoying. For instance every discussion with you about the 3IS somehow seems to devolve into a discussion about your opinion on the sales history and shortcomings of the 4GS.

We've heard the opinion 150 times. We don't need to hear it 151 times.
Old 06-13-13, 07:10 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

I never said that you have to have an "intimate" experience with a car, I do however think you should sit in and preferably at least drive a car before passing judgement on it.

I have driven numerous 2IS's over the years, on test drives and as loaners. Its a nice little car, but I wouldn't say that it was free from cost cutting lets just put it that way.

Theres the right to have an opinion, and then theres folks that think just because they have an opinion they have the right to voice it over and over again, and somehow bring every discussion back to a discussion about their opinion. I have been as guilty of this as anybody in the past, but its annoying. For instance every discussion with you about the 3IS somehow seems to devolve into a discussion about your opinion on the sales history and shortcomings of the 4GS.

We've all heard your biased opinions 1000 times too!
There is one difference though.
We talk about the car - we do not post regarding your opinions...
Old 06-13-13, 08:37 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I'm just saying that I think its unfortunate that on the premier Lexus enthusiast site Lexus gets less respect nowadays than they do in the automotive press! Someone posts an article about the Lexus winning a comparison test...and the discussion looks more like the article was posted on a BMW forum than a Lexus forum. I think thats sad. The product is finally getting accolades from the press...yet its own enthusiasts are now its harshest critic?

Take the '13 ES forums, I was guilty of being in there talking about what I considered the vehicle's shortcomings because there were things that I felt were wrong about what Lexus did with the car. I realized that was wrong of me, I needed to let the owners and fans of the car have their forum and their fun without having to constantly listen to the same complaints from me...so I stopped. This is what needs to happen in the 3IS forum too. Let people be excited about the car, and all of the 2IS owners who want to hate on it go hate on it in Car Chat or something.

Last edited by SW17LS; 06-13-13 at 08:44 PM.
Old 06-13-13, 10:50 PM
Ramon
Lexus Champion

Every car has levels of cost cutting, no one is saying otherwise, you're just misinterpreting. When I see a discussion about the 3IS and feel that providing my opinion is on-topic, I'm going to post it. If you don't want to hear my opinion for the 152 time, I again, suggest you place me on ignore.
Old 06-14-13, 12:16 AM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

I'm just saying that I think its unfortunate that on the premier Lexus enthusiast site Lexus gets less respect nowadays than they do in the automotive press! Someone posts an article about the Lexus winning a comparison test...and the discussion looks more like the article was posted on a BMW forum than a Lexus forum. I think thats sad. The product is finally getting accolades from the press...yet its own enthusiasts are now its harshest critic?

Take the '13 ES forums, I was guilty of being in there talking about what I considered the vehicle's shortcomings because there were things that I felt were wrong about what Lexus did with the car. I realized that was wrong of me, I needed to let the owners and fans of the car have their forum and their fun without having to constantly listen to the same complaints from me...so I stopped. This is what needs to happen in the 3IS forum too. Let people be excited about the car, and all of the 2IS owners who want to hate on it go hate on it in Car Chat or something.
One should never hate a car.
If a model has a weakness, then one should highlight that weakness to Lexus.
Lexus actually wants this type of feedback to improve on their products.
If Lexus doesn't have intelligent feedback to improve on its products, it won't take too long before models like the Lexus HS was terminated!

One should be careful not to confuse hate with recommended improvements.
Talking about improvements doesn't mean hating the car; that's an incorrect assumption.

Above all, we should mind our own business, and talk about the car, and not talk about somebody else; which is plain unprofessional conduct...
Old 06-14-13, 09:14 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Ramon
Every car has levels of cost cutting, no one is saying otherwise, you're just misinterpreting. When I see a discussion about the 3IS and feel that providing my opinion is on-topic, I'm going to post it. If you don't want to hear my opinion for the 152 time, I again, suggest you place me on ignore.
Let the members who are excited about the 3IS have their fun. We get it...you won't be purchasing a 3IS. We've heard it plenty of times. Post on the 2IS forums.
Old 06-14-13, 10:46 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 108 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by oztiks
i owned 2IS and so what now? It is better than competition in some things, but seriously flawed in others.

Everything I see in 3IS is better than in 2IS.

Old 06-14-13, 02:32 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Let the members who are excited about the 3IS have their fun. We get it...you won't be purchasing a 3IS. We've heard it plenty of times. Post on the 2IS forums.
I have 3 Lexus cars, including a 2006 IS250.
Normally, when I ask my wife if she wants to buy a new car, she says it's a waste of money.
However, when I showed my wife photos of the new red 3IS, she was instantly turned on by its sexy rear end, and those rhomboidal-like tail light lenses.

I'll probably end up having to buy her that metallic red 3IS, or get a silver 4.5GS for myself, and pass my old 3GS onto her.
Either way, forum members have the right to voice their opinions regarding constructive improvements to future 3.5 and 4IS's.

Life is about good and bad; we have to accept that.
We must be able to take the gravy with the dirt.
More importantly, we don't just become trapped by a problem, but we solve it for the better!
For example, Congress has the House of Representatives to initially propose the legislation, but they also have the Senate to debate and finally "filter" those legislations.
There are both sides to life.
Having exclusively one side only, without the other side is no good, and unbalanced.
If it can't withstand scrutiny, then it will never withstand the real world.

Humans are an inventive group; humans have ingenuity.
If we didn't, we'd all still be on foot walking the Greek marathons, or on horseback.
Lexus' motto is "the Persuit of Perfection".
If Lexus doesn't continue to think forwards, then in 6 or 12 months time, Lexus will be decimated by Benz and Beamer, just like the axing of the Lexus HS from the American market.

There are a number of forum members voicing improvements needed to the plastic switches on the 3IS steering wheel, and the plastics on the central console.
As much as I will buy that sexy metallic red 3IS above for my missus, these opinions on the plastics used in the 3IS interior are legitimate, intelligent, and excellent feedback to the manufacturer who is clearly in Persuit of Perfection.

Steve, notice how I give my opinion on the "car", rather than giving my opinion about another forum member's opinion - which becomes "personal", especially if it is negative...

Old 06-14-13, 02:37 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by peteharvey
Steve, notice how I give my opinion on the "car", rather than giving my opinion about another forum member's opinion - which becomes "personal", especially if it is negative...
Enough...I don't need to be lectured to by you or anyone else about "how life is".

Of course a balance is important, but EVERY thread in this forum gets drug down by the negative opinions of a select few members, opinions that are voiced again, and again, and again. Thats not balance.

Last edited by SW17LS; 06-14-13 at 02:41 PM.
Old 06-14-13, 02:46 PM
Ramon
Lexus Champion

I'll post where I feel my post has some relevancy. If it's in the 3IS forum, than it will be in the 3IS forum. How you feel about it isn't a factor. Let me be blunt since being polite isn't working... I don't actually care what you think.
Old 06-14-13, 02:54 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Enough...I don't need to be lectured to by you or anyone else about "how life is".

Of course a balance is important, but EVERY thread in this forum gets drug down by the negative opinions of a select few members, opinions that are voiced again, and again, and again. Thats not balance.
I think that the forum has a good balance and debate between the left and the right.
One's skin shouldn't be too thin; it should be reasonably thick.
One could say that if a member just wants to hear the good side only, and turn their eyes away from the dark side, then they should post on a "Heavenly Forum" where there are angels and saints, only the bright side, with no purgatory or hell in sight...

Quick Reply: 2014 IS Moving Backwards