skip000
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lexus interiors are always top notch...my current IS has never had a rattle
Old 04-22-13, 04:44 PM
Nilism
Rookie

I must say I am not impressed by this interior at all! Build quality and materials aside. There is no usability design at all! It's extremely cluttered looking, with buttons everywhere. The dash insets are horrible. Everything has been broken up.

Who actually Designs this stuff? It is completely at odds with the exterior of the car, there is nothing elegant or graceful or clean looking at all about this new design. It's like a transformer halfway through it's transformation

If this was the IS I sat in last year I would have never bought one. The 2nd gen IS is a gem that stands out from the entire Lexus line. It's clean, simple and fairly well organized. There are a few issues but generally it's pretty good.

This is absolutely a giant leap backwards and I will not be buying a Lexus until they get their heads glued on straight. Hopefully I can milk my IS to fourth gen. lol

And as a side note there are squeaks/rattles in the 2nd gen interior.

Edit: The exterior with the bowtie is bad *** looking.
Old 04-23-13, 07:43 AM
LexusVTS44
Driver School Candidate

Check out this 2014 IS video and see for yourself. The first part is exterior and the second is interior. Shot with an iPad Mini, so don't expect the best quality.:
Old 06-01-13, 11:20 PM
Lexziss
Driver School Candidate

SMH! it's evident that this bumass doesn't know anything about a lexus since he hasn't ever owned one before!
Old 06-02-13, 12:43 AM
Ramon
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Lexziss
SMH! it's evident that this bumass doesn't know anything about a lexus since he hasn't ever owned one before!
Great first post!

/sarcasm
Old 06-05-13, 12:46 AM
primitive1
Driver School Candidate

What about the gauges? What do you think of the LED like the LFA?
Old 06-05-13, 01:09 AM
2slixx
Lexus Test Driver

Interesting thread indeed...
Old 06-05-13, 04:40 AM
kabgolf1
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by primitive1
What about the gauges? What do you think of the LED like the LFA?
I personally think that the LFA inspired gauge cluster is amazing and is one of the main attractions.
As far as it being a little gimmicky, yes it is. However, what car does not have a little bit of gimmick added to it?
I cannot wait to see it in person.
Old 06-06-13, 09:05 PM
suicidesam
Lexus Test Driver

One word...eeeeeeeeeeeeeeewwwwwwwwwwwweeeeeeeee
Old 06-09-13, 03:21 PM
QuentinB
Driver

The tunnel intrusion in the driver footwell is the same as the GS AWD and the 2nd Gen IS350 AWD. That transfer case and front prop shaft has to go somewhere.
Old 06-09-13, 06:09 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 288 Likes on 209 Posts

An observation of where some might criticize this as "moving backwards" with the IS and Lexus in general. There appears to be a little more hard plastic in the 3IS vs 2IS as seen in the door sections and dash/console, BUT, who cares? The hard plastic looks high quality with no uneven gaps and fit/finish issues. My CT has some hard plastic and looks great, better interior refinement than an A3. The latest ES was criticized for some hard plastic usage in its interior, but again sit in an ES and it looks stunningly superior than its competitors (Buick Lacrosse any one?)
Old 06-09-13, 08:25 PM
Ramon
Lexus Champion

Obviously, the people who are complaining and want something of equal quality to the outgoing model (such as myself) care. The IS is a class above the CT, the fact that it now has an interior only as good is further evidence that the IS is moving backwards. It's great for you that you don't care, and obviously Lexus know there are enough people who don't mind paying more and getting less than in the past, that their revenue, when combined with the cost cutting that has went into the 3IS will likely be higher. The paying more part doesn't really bother me, that's kind of expected with a new model, but getting less, and not having the option to do anything about it short of looking at a different vehicle all together, is unfortunate.

Last edited by Ramon; 06-09-13 at 08:31 PM.
Old 06-13-13, 01:18 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You guys can complain all you want but there are some definite improvements that make this car attractive.
The improvement in the nav and app suite is apparent but more important to me is the increase in interior space. The 2IS feels claustrophobic to me. It's not feasible for big and tall people to own the car. That left thousands of sales on the table. Now that the 3IS is roomier, it opens an opportunityfor bigger people to get one.
Being that America is full of big or heav people, I would think sales are going to increase big time.
Old 06-13-13, 01:32 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,500 Likes on 1,803 Posts

Originally Posted by Ramon
Obviously, the people who are complaining and want something of equal quality to the outgoing model (such as myself) care. The IS is a class above the CT, the fact that it now has an interior only as good is further evidence that the IS is moving backwards.
LOL, have you ever been in a CT? I continue to find it laughable that you can continue to deride this car without ever having seen it.

I can say with absolute confidence it will be nicer inside than a CT (which is pretty cheap inside IMHO). I wouldn't call the outgoing IS "excellent quality" inside anyways...cost cutting is very apparent in the 2IS IMHO.
Old 06-13-13, 01:47 PM
oztiks
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Ice350
You guys can complain all you want but there are some definite improvements that make this car attractive.
The improvement in the nav and app suite is apparent but more important to me is the increase in interior space. The 2IS feels claustrophobic to me. It's not feasible for big and tall people to own the car. That left thousands of sales on the table. Now that the 3IS is roomier, it opens an opportunityfor bigger people to get one.
Being that America is full of big or heav people, I would think sales are going to increase big time.

the all-new 2014 IS - now accomodating the clinically obese!'
i am clinically obese, have a 2010 isf, and my fat, american a** fits in it just fine. bolstered seats and all.

Quick Reply: 2014 IS Moving Backwards