Search this Thread

Old 04-18-13, 01:15 PM
LexusVTS44
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First walkaround of a 2014 IS 250...Check it out:

Originally Posted by Joe Z
Preliminary Media Test Drive Reviews are on their way...!!! via Motor Trend

Yesterday Lexus started the Media / Press, Ride & Drive Events..!!!

So it won't be long until we start hearing ALL the different reviews (photos & videos) that will come in via multiple media outlets...

Here are the photos posted by Motor Trend on their Instagram acct

Motor Trend was there.. @ an undisclosed location...
  • What car does this instrument panel belong to?

• Those that guessed IS nailed it. We're diriving the 2014 @Lexus IS today.

• The best angle of the new 2014 @Lexus IS

• Land = Good. Water = Bad. @Lexus #IS

Enjoy,

~ Joe Z
Old 04-19-13, 01:31 PM
mordecai
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ohhh, that's the best the F-Sport model front has looked to me in that last pic. It looks really good with the LED strip lit up in daylight.
Old 04-25-13, 05:23 PM
Motor
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 04-26-13, 10:20 AM
LexFather

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...rt_first_test/

Very meh review on the IS 250 F-sport...
Old 04-26-13, 11:10 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by Blueprint
http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...rt_first_test/

Very meh review on the IS 250 F-sport...
The 2014 car gives up nothing in terms of sensation and feedback from the driver's seat. It slices and dices and feels planted all the time. The steering is direct, predictable, and communicates enough information to the driver. No one would call this sedan overpowered, especially not with 255mm meats in the rear. It'll lift-throttle oversteer if forced, but should drifting be your IS 250 obsession for whatever reason, you'd probably be better off with a square-stance model.
Electronics teething troubles aside, the IS 250 F Sport works for the real world. It's an energetic handler, firm yet compliant, and not uncomfortable. It's decently quiet. You can show off the F Sport's sliding, LFA-inspired meter/thin-film transistor display to friends and family -- the display's information panel features three fuel economy-related tabs, one for tire pressure, and most coolly, one for gear position. There are now two console cupholders instead of one. You can seemingly sit lower than in the older model, which can be helpful for taller drivers. However, the low hip point combined with the high center console height can make the interior feel cramped, even though the 2014 version is statistically ahead in all regards. We hope a fresh powertrain is under consideration.

Read more: http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...#ixzz2RauDYya7
sounds good to me... i am surprised 0-60 is only 7.2s... 250 feels a lot slower.
Old 04-27-13, 04:44 PM
lucasb7
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks like the IS350 F-Sport took 1st place in a comparo with a 335i M Sport & ATS 3.6 in the latest edition of Car and Driver!!! What a great sign!!!!

http://www.f30post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=833436
Old 04-27-13, 06:33 PM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Received 268 Likes on 216 Posts

Next week's episode of Motorweek will feature full review of 2014 IS.
Old 04-28-13, 07:45 AM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 87 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by lucasb7
Looks like the IS350 F-Sport took 1st place in a comparo with a 335i M Sport & ATS 3.6 in the latest edition of Car and Driver!!! What a great sign!!!!

http://www.f30post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=833436
Damn, the 335i M-Sport really comes off badly in this 3 way shootout.

Car And Driver : 3 Way Shoot-out Between BMW 335i M-Sport, Cadillac ATS 3.6L with Sport Package and Lexus IS350 F-Sport

A few choice quotes from the article:
The question on everyone's minds was vocalized by technical editor KC Colwell : " Is it possible that the BMW has the worst steering here?"
This is the first 3 series that feels less thoroughly engineered than its competition. It's competent, it's spacious, it's comfortable ; but in comparison to other cars in its segment, the 3 series is undercooked.
Compared with the other 2 cars here, the 3 series feels immense and slow-witted.
And that is what's most damning : The M Sport is capable, but it's not as engaging as either opponent.
Incidentally, the new IS350 F-Sport had the fastest slalom speed and won the 3 way shootout.
Old 04-28-13, 08:44 AM
LexFather

Funny the last gen the E90 beat the IS by 1 point and this time the IS beats the F30 by 1 point. What is great to read is they all are very good and the ATS really is a great first effort in regards to handling and driving. CUE continues to be an issue for Cadillacs in comparisons.

The F30 is more of the same fluffier but still damn good and that engine is amazing. It is telling that BMW scores points now for comfort and loses for sport even in the M sport trim. The thing is to the masses its still a 3 series and will sell in droves but it is no longer sportiest in class, the ATS and now IS have passed it.

The IS really seems to be a mini-GS with this win which is great. Seems to drives like a "Lexus" when you want but in Sport+ it really comes alive. The high marks for the seats are what I need to hear Lows to me are interior design and that front end. Also why did they send a car with an all black interior when the other two sent their red interiors.

Pricing is nutty to me, 50k for all these cars. I just have a hard to computing that .

Lexus really seems to be confident in the way the IS drives and its in a comparo already. I don't understand why Infiniti has told pricing and asking people to buy the car with pre-orders but there has been hardly any driving events and the press has yet to touch it. Lexus and Infiniti are debuting their cars totally differently here and it would have been nice to see the new G, err Q (not 45) included.
Old 04-28-13, 09:20 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Blueprint
Funny the last gen the E90 beat the IS by 1 point and this time the IS beats the F30 by 1 point. What is great to read is they all are very good and the ATS really is a great first effort in regards to handling and driving. CUE continues to be an issue for Cadillacs in comparisons.

The F30 is more of the same fluffier but still damn good and that engine is amazing. It is telling that BMW scores points now for comfort and loses for sport even in the M sport trim. The thing is to the masses its still a 3 series and will sell in droves but it is no longer sportiest in class, the ATS and now IS have passed it.

The IS really seems to be a mini-GS with this win which is great. Seems to drives like a "Lexus" when you want but in Sport+ it really comes alive. The high marks for the seats are what I need to hear Lows to me are interior design and that front end. Also why did they send a car with an all black interior when the other two sent their red interiors.

Pricing is nutty to me, 50k for all these cars. I just have a hard to computing that .

Lexus really seems to be confident in the way the IS drives and its in a comparo already. I don't understand why Infiniti has told pricing and asking people to buy the car with pre-orders but there has been hardly any driving events and the press has yet to touch it. Lexus and Infiniti are debuting their cars totally differently here and it would have been nice to see the new G, err Q (not 45) included.
as I said, it is telling that now 3IS wins comparo's for suspension, steering and feel vs pure numbers.... it sounds like Toyota finally understands what it means to make great drivers car. Also, interior was rated the best as well in terms of quality, fit and finish.

Lets not forget that F-Sport arrived with Turanza's, while other cars have had Potenza's.
Old 04-28-13, 09:21 AM
Aeromotive
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here's how the First Test went down. The early-build IS 250 F Sport was delivered to us after it partook in the 2014 IS media launch in Austin, Texas -- the navigation system had Texas destinations programmed into it. Snooping around the infotainment system with the Remote Touch mouse controller (which could really use a physical 'back' button) is how we found glitches in the interface software. Our past experience with the Remote Touch multimedia system has been generally positive, though the mouse could stand to be more precise. But this IS 250's screen froze twice as we tried to cycle through apps and functions. The first time it happened, we were on a long drive and the nav showed us locked in the same position for several minutes (we were still barreling down the highway) before unfreezing of its own accord. Control of the sound system went missing, too -- neither the steering wheel switches nor the center stack's volume or tune/scroll ***** could change what we were listening to or the audio level. (At least it wasn't magically increasing the volume.) In the second instance, the display suddenly went blank (it was set to the nav as well) but rebooted in less than a minute.

Another oddity in the car was the Snow button below the Drive Mode Select dial (Eco, Normal, and Sport) and stability/traction control switch on the center console. Pressing it didn't start the car in second gear, but then again, we didn't have the all-wheel-drive IS 250. To make sure we weren't part of some funny game, we checked for half-shafts behind the front wheels, and there weren't any.
This worries me

Read more: http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...#ixzz2Rm9d0Zgo
Old 04-28-13, 09:35 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Aeromotive
i woundt worry about preproduction car... such issues dont exist in any other production lexus.
Old 04-28-13, 08:09 PM
natnut
Pole Position

Toyota TS030 LeMans racecar driver Alex Wurz takes the IS300h F-Sport out on the track:

Old 04-29-13, 02:42 AM
UpSideDown
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by natnut
Toyota TS030 LeMans racecar driver Alex Wurz takes the IS300h F-Sport out on the track:
Pretty useless video. You can't even hear how the engine sounds like due to the background race car engine notes...
Old 04-29-13, 03:26 AM
natnut
Pole Position

Most of the video is the IS300h F-Sport alone on the track. I can hear the IS engine note just fine.

Useful info from the video : the IS hybrid has best in class in-gear acceleration and great turn in and handling. Weight distribution of the IS300h is near 50:50 and tall chaps can fit comfortably in the front seats. Oh and one final thing : the new IS has great steering.

Last edited by natnut; 04-29-13 at 06:22 AM.

Quick Reply: 2014 Lexus IS Test Drive Reviews...!!! Photos & Videos from Media and Press