Originally Posted by TimboIS
Awesome... quantity over quality.
Its the American way
Old 02-05-13, 01:16 PM
TripleL
No Substitute

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Very cool Mike

The IS I've been driving fo the last 7+ years has been the best ownership experience of any car I ever have owned. period. I can only imagine the new car with it's improvements will be even better.

Subscribed for your reviews
Old 02-05-13, 06:20 PM
LexFather

Exclamation

Originally Posted by SW10ES
Nice! You replacing one of your other cars or keeping them all?
You know I started a 2GS project thread and I still haven't installed wheels. I'm thinking maybe part it out and sell it or just trade it in.

Originally Posted by natnut
I'm assuming you're getting the IS350 F-Sport. (duh)

Would love to hear your comparisons of its ride and handling vs its GS big brother and how the 3.5L+8 speed stacks up vs the 3.5L+6 speed of the GS.
Me too. I'll be honest I understand the rational of 8 speeds and the coolness of having 8 over 6 but for aggressive driving I find it two, too many gears. What I am interested in is how much more fun (if any) will a smaller vehicle be for me. I've always had fun in the IS. With the dramatic improvements Lexus is making it is exciting.

Originally Posted by dojoman
Did the dealer give you pricing yet?
No sir. I am assuming 50k for a loaded F-sport. Since I am not the typical Lexus buyer hopefully something good is worked out with pricing. Also with the yen weakening I am hoping they do some last minute price adjustments to make the price lower/and/or allow extra room to get a lower price.

Originally Posted by Evitzee
Are dealers actually taking orders now? No pricing, no complete option list, no exact details as to exterior/interior colors, it would seem to be a stretch to order one now.
Order sheets arrive March/April is what I was told with all info. Doesn't seem like HUD and some other things will be offered (just realized no 2 piece front brake like the GS) so the main thing I figure is ML and some added tech, maybe LED lights, radar, pre-crash etc.

Originally Posted by BornDriver
Congrats!

Nice color combo, plz give a review when you get it.

BTW, how tall are you?
6"5 with long legs and my legs do get fatigue on long drives.

Originally Posted by Mr. Burns
Don't do it it's a trap. Get the silver non-Fsport model with the bloody leather instead!
This made me lol

Originally Posted by TripleL
Very cool Mike

The IS I've been driving fo the last 7+ years has been the best ownership experience of any car I ever have owned. period. I can only imagine the new car with it's improvements will be even better.

Subscribed for your reviews
Thats good to hear bro. Yeah the new tech in cars is pretty amazing. I'm looking forward to a smaller, more nimble car, easier to park etc.
Old 02-06-13, 12:04 AM
BornDriver
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You are too tall for this car! LOL

Will they put parking sensors for ya?

Do you know how big is size of NAVI screen?
Old 02-06-13, 05:51 AM
Infra
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My 2007 IS350 has been rock solid (worst thing that ever happened to it was my battery died). I'm excited about possibly replacing it with a 3IS but kind of disappointed this one will have the same engine.

Please keep us updated (I'm sure you will but I'll still ask) on your opinions of the same engine in the new car as the one in your GS350 and, of course, the many 2IS's you've driven.
Old 02-06-13, 06:36 AM
Stylnhonda
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can't wait to see it. I've always assumed that if you put a down a deposit they know your already in and how can I get a good price then?
Old 04-30-13, 10:41 PM
LexFather

So as an update my dealer hasn't figured out allocation yet which I thought I would know by now, things should happen quick since deliveries start in June and its May 1st.

Pros-Pricing

Now my eagerness has really come to a halt for various reasons.

1. Lexus seems to not know how to answer emails
2. Lexus seems to be totally confused on how to support enthusiasts like myself

My patience is wearing very thin on these issues and its really leaving a sour taste in my mouth.

3. Packages.

So I want an F-sport. Pricing to me is reasonable and as an example my family's loaded HS 250 (I know I know) had a MSRP of 46k or so in 2010. So 46k for an F-sport sounds pretty good. Except the F-sport package means
A-no cooled seats. Well I am moving to Miami. Guess what I need more than ever.
B-no extended leg support. Not an option either. Its standard on the GS F-sport. I'm TALL.
C-no parking assist? I am assuming this CANNOT be right.
D-Nuluxe with no red leather option. Every bloody Lexus I've had has leather and the thought or Nu-Luxe which I ADMIT is nice alternative should not be the only alternative.
E-Front end looks. I got to see it in person (which I have not yet, shame on Lexus) soon and I hope in person its better as it has not grown on me. True the same thing happened to me with the GS but its less aggressive and I think I prefer the split grill with the spindle shape.
F- Interior design. Not sure I'm a huge fan, I understand the LFA influence but it doesn't seem coherent to me so I need to see and experience in person. Those LFA gauges though...drooooool.......
G-Carryover powertrains... I have the same engine in my GS 450h, in our GS 350 and the same engine AGAIN in the IS F-sport? I just thought of this and that just seems WROOOONG....... no variety and where are the new engines?

The whole no ventilated seats thing has me thinking at that rate just get a non-luxury car and its just mind boggling to me. They did the same thing to the IS F blaming the seat design and I wonder if its the same thing.

FYI I also read the Q50 won't offer ventilated seats either. Maybe it no longer gets hot in Japan or something?

Of course in person things can change and over time we usually get used to things. The thing is to me this seems like a compromise in many areas and not sure I want to do that. Great we got to spend 100k on a car to get what we want If not, that FRS is looking mighty good....

Last edited by LexFather; 04-30-13 at 10:46 PM.
Old 05-06-13, 12:10 PM
ntocamping
Rookie

Originally Posted by Blueprint
So I want an F-sport. Pricing to me is reasonable and as an example my family's loaded HS 250 (I know I know) had a MSRP of 46k or so in 2010. So 46k for an F-sport sounds pretty good. Except the F-sport package means
A-no cooled seats. Well I am moving to Miami. Guess what I need more than ever.
B-no extended leg support. Not an option either. Its standard on the GS F-sport. I'm TALL.
C-no parking assist? I am assuming this CANNOT be right.
D-Nuluxe with no red leather option. Every bloody Lexus I've had has leather and the thought or Nu-Luxe which I ADMIT is nice alternative should not be the only alternative.
E-Front end looks. I got to see it in person (which I have not yet, shame on Lexus) soon and I hope in person its better as it has not grown on me. True the same thing happened to me with the GS but its less aggressive and I think I prefer the split grill with the spindle shape.
F- Interior design. Not sure I'm a huge fan, I understand the LFA influence but it doesn't seem coherent to me so I need to see and experience in person. Those LFA gauges though...drooooool.......
G-Carryover powertrains... I have the same engine in my GS 450h, in our GS 350 and the same engine AGAIN in the IS F-sport? I just thought of this and that just seems WROOOONG....... no variety and where are the new engines?

The whole no ventilated seats thing has me thinking at that rate just get a non-luxury car and its just mind boggling to me. They did the same thing to the IS F blaming the seat design and I wonder if its the same thing.

FYI I also read the Q50 won't offer ventilated seats either. Maybe it no longer gets hot in Japan or something?

Of course in person things can change and over time we usually get used to things. The thing is to me this seems like a compromise in many areas and not sure I want to do that. Great we got to spend 100k on a car to get what we want If not, that FRS is looking mighty good....
Which is why I continue to scour the market and at this point the very ATTRACTIVE 2014 KIA Optima SX-T which comes with nice features such as a adjustable steering/transmissions inputs, heated steering wheel, heated and cooled front seats, heated rear seats, blind spot, cross traffic alert etc etc is very appealing. IMO it is one of the best looking cars out there right now. Flame away. I still drive my 550i but other cars are looking good to me.
Old 05-06-13, 12:15 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,499 Likes on 1,802 Posts

The Optima is a great looking car, and I have long sung the praises of Hyundai/Kia as compared to Toyota, etc. However, an Optima is no competition for an IS. You won't have any of the performance or the neutral handling, FWD, chassis is nowhere near as sophisticated or rigid. I could see the Optima if one was looking at an ES maybe, but not an IS.
Old 05-06-13, 01:57 PM
ntocamping
Rookie

Originally Posted by SW13GS
The Optima is a great looking car, and I have long sung the praises of Hyundai/Kia as compared to Toyota, etc. However, an Optima is no competition for an IS. You won't have any of the performance or the neutral handling, FWD, chassis is nowhere near as sophisticated or rigid. I could see the Optima if one was looking at an ES maybe, but not an IS.
True. I say this b/c I have been a rear wheel biased luxury brand buyer for 15 years. Quite honestly, I don't drive a car the WAY I would LOVE to drive the car. For the 1% of the time I can the rear wheel drive performace of any BMW, Lexus, Infiiniti is great. But 99% of the time I troll to work and back and drive 75+ on the highway. Yes, it feels better. But bells and whistles, great looks, good handling, sporty, and lower cost at this point are outweighing the need/want of continuing to own rear wheel drive/luxury cars that require more maintenace, premium fuel and a higher cost of ownership.
Old 05-06-13, 02:55 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by ntocamping
Which is why I continue to scour the market and at this point the very ATTRACTIVE 2014 KIA Optima SX-T which comes with nice features such as a adjustable steering/transmissions inputs, heated steering wheel, heated and cooled front seats, heated rear seats, blind spot, cross traffic alert etc etc is very appealing. IMO it is one of the best looking cars out there right now. Flame away. I still drive my 550i but other cars are looking good to me.
The Optima is IMO one of the best looking sedans out there, no doubt and it offers a lot. That said a car built to a 20k standard is simply a car built to a 20k standard and at 33k with options its less of a value to me. Over time it simply will not wear like a Lexus or most luxury cars. Still a great car though but not for me at all. I also cannot deal with FWD..I truly am not a fan of it.

That said its amazing to think Kia is showing up in the conversation, a true testament to the gains they have made.
Old 05-06-13, 03:17 PM
mattsgigo
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Blueprint
The Optima is IMO one of the best looking sedans out there, no doubt and it offers a lot. That said a car built to a 20k standard is simply a car built to a 20k standard and at 33k with options its less of a value to me. Over time it simply will not wear like a Lexus or most luxury cars. Still a great car though but not for me at all. I also cannot deal with FWD..I truly am not a fan of it.

That said its amazing to think Kia is showing up in the conversation, a true testament to the gains they have made.
+1 well said...and this is coming from an ethnic Korean.
Old 05-06-13, 05:20 PM
mordecai
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice! F-sport? I'm happy you didn't turn to the dark side.
Old 05-06-13, 07:40 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,499 Likes on 1,802 Posts

Originally Posted by ntocamping
True. I say this b/c I have been a rear wheel biased luxury brand buyer for 15 years. Quite honestly, I don't drive a car the WAY I would LOVE to drive the car. For the 1% of the time I can the rear wheel drive performace of any BMW, Lexus, Infiiniti is great. But 99% of the time I troll to work and back and drive 75+ on the highway. Yes, it feels better. But bells and whistles, great looks, good handling, sporty, and lower cost at this point are outweighing the need/want of continuing to own rear wheel drive/luxury cars that require more maintenace, premium fuel and a higher cost of ownership.
Then you're just not the target buyer for this car, and would probably be better off in something like the Optima. Its not really a statement about the IS that the attributes that make the IS what it is don't appeal to you any longer...its a statement about your changing needs and wants.

I'd rather keep and drive my old Lexus than trade it on a new Optima, its a great car but its not a Lexus.
Old 05-07-13, 05:41 AM
ntocamping
Rookie

Originally Posted by SW13GS
Then you're just not the target buyer for this car, and would probably be better off in something like the Optima. Its not really a statement about the IS that the attributes that make the IS what it is don't appeal to you any longer...its a statement about your changing needs and wants.

I'd rather keep and drive my old Lexus than trade it on a new Optima, its a great car but its not a Lexus.
Partially true. IS 350 Fsport options seem extremely lacking in a $45k+ car. To get me to spend that kind of jack I need more than brand cache and rear wheel drive. I typically buy a car every 2 years so its not that my needs are necessarily changing but I like to try out different cars. Even if I went to something like an Optima I would not dismiss cars like the Genesis either. I test drove and liked the new GS but the looks to me are more boring than my e60 550 so I just would not want it. To me looks are just as important if not more than rear wheel vs front wheel.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Putting in an order Monday....