IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models
View Poll Results: 2014 lexus IS or 2014 Infiniti Q50 aka G37?
2014 lexus IS
71.81%
2014 Infiniti Q50
28.57%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 259. You may not vote on this poll

POLL. new IS or infiniti Q50 aka g?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-13, 12:11 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Civic Si-r
Since when is marketing your brand in a movie such as Iron man 1,2, &3 a poor marketing decision. I'll be seeing IM3 this THURS and yes, there will be Audi's seen in IM 3

I hope your not talking about this facebook page, of course you need to sign in to see all the comments
https://www.facebook.com/audi
Infiniti is in IronMan ? It is common knowledge they have huge opportunities in marketing & advertising , this isn't even a point to argue.

In regards to changing the entire name to Q most think its ridiculous so no need to rehash those points. Q today is associated with Audi as you mentioned.
Old 05-01-13, 01:26 PM
Civic Si-r
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Blueprint
Infiniti is in IronMan ? It is common knowledge they have huge opportunities in marketing & advertising , this isn't even a point to argue.

In regards to changing the entire name to Q most think its ridiculous so no need to rehash those points. Q today is associated with Audi as you mentioned.

Old 05-03-13, 10:36 AM
mrraider
Pole Position

G37 buyers range from performance enthusiasts, to senior citizens looking for a nice luxury sedan at a good price. Lexus has the advantage of being able to split those two markets with the IS and ES. Clearly, Lexus has decided to go after a much more aggressive demographic with the new IS. History will judge if they fail or succeed.
Old 05-04-13, 02:23 PM
T4Fun
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by mrraider
G37 buyers range from performance enthusiasts, to senior citizens looking for a nice luxury sedan at a good price. Lexus has the advantage of being able to split those two markets with the IS and ES. Clearly, Lexus has decided to go after a much more aggressive demographic with the new IS. History will judge if they fail or succeed.

i think infiniti g is targeted more to younger people, just like the IS.

as for the other sedans, GS, ES, infiniti M, i feel are marketed towards older people.

jmho...
Old 05-04-13, 04:57 PM
chris2k5
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by T4Fun
i think infiniti g is targeted more to younger people, just like the IS.

as for the other sedans, GS, ES, infiniti M, i feel are marketed towards older people.

jmho...
Definitely true. Especially for the ES. I don't see anyone but older women driving the ES. The Infiniti M and Lexus GS, I see a mix of older men and women.

The G and IS I see a lot of younger professionals driving them.
Old 05-05-13, 07:17 PM
KahnBB6

Received 1,221 Likes on 856 Posts

Probably the Infiniti "Q50" (what a confusing name, eh?) if it retains a 6-speed manual option. And I'd take it without the drive by wire steering system too, since that's currently optional. I want road feel through the steering system, not a lack of it.

Barring that, a BMW 3-Series or the Cadillac ATS 2.0T/6 but not an IS. No 6-speed manual any longer but I'm sure it's a great drive.

I like the styling of the new IS and the Q50 independently but the Infiniti looks better to me personally.
Old 05-06-13, 12:58 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by KahnBB6
Probably the Infiniti "Q50" (what a confusing name, eh?) if it retains a 6-speed manual option. And I'd take it without the drive by wire steering system too, since that's currently optional. I want road feel through the steering system, not a lack of it.

Barring that, a BMW 3-Series or the Cadillac ATS 2.0T/6 but not an IS. No 6-speed manual any longer but I'm sure it's a great drive.

I like the styling of the new IS and the Q50 independently but the Infiniti looks better to me personally.
Q50 is supposed to be automatic only
Old 05-13-13, 08:27 AM
KahnBB6

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Q50 is supposed to be automatic only
In that case I'd choose neither the IS350 or the Q50. That's a shame.
Old 05-14-13, 09:55 AM
KahnBB6

Well, here's an interesting turn: Infiniti DID engineer the sedan to accept a manual transmission.

http://wot.motortrend.com/2014-infin...#axzz2THpR1LGM

...which may only be offered in Europe in conjunction with a Mercedes 2.1L diesel four cylinder. An auto+diesel is optional. Yet they didn't just drop in an existing gearbox-- they reworked it a little.

The Q50 sedan may or may not get a manual transmission option with past sales being 2% overall but with the R&D in place Infiniti would have to be stupid not to offer a 6-speed manual on the Q60 coupe and convertible.

Here's hoping that Lexus does the right thing and at least offers a 6-speed manual on the upcoming RC coupe.

No one is going to race cars like these against Lamborghinis anyway.
Old 07-09-13, 09:02 AM
andy92782
Driver School Candidate

I test drove a Q50S Hybrid this weekend back to back with an IS350 F-Sport and a Cadillac ATS 3.6. I currently drive an '07 335i.

The Cadillac was garbage. Very overpriced for what it is. It had a very unrefined feel compared to the others and all of the capacitive-touch controls were horrible. The dash and "CUE" GUI needs a complete do-over. I don't think this should surprise anyone.

Comparing the Infiniti to the IS was a tough call. The Q was definitely the faster of the two keeping in mind I was driving the hybrid version, however it felt top-heavy when doing quick lane-changes or throwing it into corners. It also had a very small trunk due to the hybrid batteries. I'd like to try a non-hybrid Q50S at some point. Other than that I felt the two cars drove similarly. I did appreciate the IS' adjustable suspension settings; the normal mode had a great ride quality but it firmed up nicely in sport mode; the Q appeared to lack this feature. The front seats in the IS are phenomenal, however; I'd consider buying one for this reason alone. In terms of build quality/interior materials, it was close; the Infiniti interior is definitely a step up from the older G37 but I still give the edge to the Lexus in this department. The Q's interior had a more organic feel (swoopy curves) whereas I felt the IS had a late-80s/early-90s "retro" feel about it (but I don't mean this in a bad way - I liked it).

I always wear polarized sunglasses. The Q's upper navigation display tended to wash out. I didn't experience any visibility issues with the IS F-Sport's LCD dash display.

Both the IS and the Q feel "all grown up". I'm not sure if this is a good thing or a bad thing. Probably good, for me anyway.. I'm getting older...

I do have to say I was slightly disappointed in the IS in one small, nit-pick area: the rear folding seats, when folded, don't offer a large enough cargo opening. I like to stuff my bike in the trunk so this was traditionally a dealbreaker for me on the previous IS (no rear folders). I'm sure I could get my bike into the trunk of the new IS but with the way the seatbacks fold and expose the leather at the pivot point, I'd probably wind up tearing it at some point.

Ultimately I think people are either Infiniti/Nissan fans or Lexus/Toyota fans and they're going to buy what they're going to buy but I'm an outsider so I'm trying to stay objective.
Old 07-09-13, 09:08 AM
oztiks
Lexus Test Driver

Where did you find a q to drive??
Originally Posted by andy92782
I test drove a Q50S Hybrid this weekend back to back with an IS350 F-Sport and a Cadillac ATS 3.6. I currently drive an '07 335i.

The Cadillac was garbage. Very overpriced for what it is. It had a very unrefined feel compared to the others and all of the capacitive-touch controls were horrible. The dash and "CUE" GUI needs a complete do-over. I don't think this should surprise anyone.

Comparing the Infiniti to the IS was a tough call. The Q was definitely the faster of the two keeping in mind I was driving the hybrid version, however it felt top-heavy when doing quick lane-changes or throwing it into corners. It also had a very small trunk due to the hybrid batteries. I'd like to try a non-hybrid Q50S at some point. Other than that I felt the two cars drove similarly. I did appreciate the IS' adjustable suspension settings; the normal mode had a great ride quality but it firmed up nicely in sport mode; the Q appeared to lack this feature. The front seats in the IS are phenomenal, however; I'd consider buying one for this reason alone. In terms of build quality/interior materials, it was close; the Infiniti interior is definitely a step up from the older G37 but I still give the edge to the Lexus in this department. The Q's interior had a more organic feel (swoopy curves) whereas I felt the IS had a late-80s/early-90s "retro" feel about it (but I don't mean this in a bad way - I liked it).

I always wear polarized sunglasses. The Q's upper navigation display tended to wash out. I didn't experience any visibility issues with the IS F-Sport's LCD dash display.

Both the IS and the Q feel "all grown up". I'm not sure if this is a good thing or a bad thing. Probably good, for me anyway.. I'm getting older...

I do have to say I was slightly disappointed in the IS in one small, nit-pick area: the rear folding seats, when folded, don't offer a large enough cargo opening. I like to stuff my bike in the trunk so this was traditionally a dealbreaker for me on the previous IS (no rear folders). I'm sure I could get my bike into the trunk of the new IS but with the way the seatbacks fold and expose the leather at the pivot point, I'd probably wind up tearing it at some point.

Ultimately I think people are either Infiniti/Nissan fans or Lexus/Toyota fans and they're going to buy what they're going to buy but I'm an outsider so I'm trying to stay objective.
Old 07-09-13, 10:23 AM
Civic Si-r
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by oztiks
Where did you find a q to drive??
I test drove the Q50S hybrid sport and it was amazing. The reviews have all been virtually the same and it is a great car for the money. Honestly, nothing compares in this segment. I honestly feel that the Q50S is going to garner a lot of revenue and sell well.

I have been on the Q50 forum for awhile and let me tell you it is a growing community and great advice. The car is set to go on sale August 5, however dealerships have received shipments in early July. I got lucky and was able to test drive the car. For now the vehicles are ALL being updated with a mandatory software update, so many of the Q50 buyers that pre bought their vehicles have been waiting anxiously for their car.

http://www.infinitiq50.org/forum/new...cussion-forum/
Old 07-09-13, 11:51 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by andy92782
... The Q's interior had a more organic feel (swoopy curves) whereas I felt the IS had a late-80s/early-90s "retro" feel about it (but I don't mean this in a bad way - I liked it).
I totally know where you're coming from - the wonderful Japanese pocket rockets of that era, MX-3, CRX, etc

On another note, I voted for (and bought) the IS due to a combination of brand loyalty, size, and overall design over any of its competitors. Putting my bias aside, if the Q50 was a Lexus, I would not buy it as it is less a compact sports sedan and more of a midsize in dimensions making it too large for me. The IS is right-sized for me.

The poll shows a 2:1 vote in favor of the IS. In all fairness, the reverse would probably hold true if this poll was in the Q50 forum.
Attached Thumbnails POLL. new IS or infiniti Q50 aka g?-1988_honda_civic_crx-pic-60346062583168192.jpeg  
Old 07-09-13, 09:59 PM
1QWKGS4
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts

Quick update: I went to "Special invite" Infiniti event today and getting to see the Q50.. Umm. lets say, it looks very photogenic in pics, but in person.. the car is not that interesting.. (I owned 3 G35's in the past five years) Q50 has a few nice new features but overall to me, Car is a Disappointment..

IMO, The new IS will kick it **** up and down the street.. (looks-wise)

Last edited by 1QWKGS4; 07-09-13 at 10:15 PM.
Old 07-10-13, 07:28 AM
AndyL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 1QWKGS4
Quick update: I went to "Special invite" Infiniti event today and getting to see the Q50.. Umm. lets say, it looks very photogenic in pics, but in person.. the car is not that interesting.. (I owned 3 G35's in the past five years) Q50 has a few nice new features but overall to me, Car is a Disappointment..

IMO, The new IS will kick it **** up and down the street.. (looks-wise)
Interestingly, my impression is the opposite - I find the Q50 look better in person, especially the inside. in any case, I find the IS look compact and the overall design is coherent in a more sophisticated way.

Quick Reply: POLL. new IS or infiniti Q50 aka g?