IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

2014 LEXUS IS Official Debut Discussion (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-13, 09:58 PM
MikeSC4
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

FIXED!! your welcome lexus
Attached Thumbnails 2014 LEXUS IS Official Debut Discussion (merged threads)-is.jpg  
Old 01-09-13, 10:06 PM
TravyTrav
Pole Position

Looks crazy, which the taillights were like that of the LF-CC
Old 01-09-13, 10:13 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

not sure what is going on with the area behind the shifter. Looks the the dash just stopped and it becomes a cliff. Im referring to the area underneath the radio controls but above the heated seats. Doesnt look like there are any operational buttons there either

also spywolf, remember on the prototype drives I mentioned the black plastic around the shifter and you said I was looking at a preproduction model? Looks like it made it to production. I dont think the non f sport models will get a piece of wood there either.

Also foot parking brake is a fail. Also those aluminum pedals havent changed since their introduction in the IS300.

Last edited by RXSF; 01-09-13 at 10:21 PM.
Old 01-09-13, 10:23 PM
enrikito
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i have mixed feelings about this... i'm liking the bold and agressive design but looks a bit weird from certain angles, will have to see it in person and some time to get used to

for now i'll keep my road warrior for a while longer =)
Old 01-09-13, 11:03 PM
Pyramid
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just saw this on my facebook. So SWEEET!! 3IS is going to look nice modded.

Old 01-09-13, 11:09 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by RXSF

not sure what is going on with the area behind the shifter. Looks the the dash just stopped and it becomes a cliff. Im referring to the area underneath the radio controls but above the heated seats. Doesnt look like there are any operational buttons there either

also spywolf, remember on the prototype drives I mentioned the black plastic around the shifter and you said I was looking at a preproduction model? Looks like it made it to production. I dont think the non f sport models will get a piece of wood there either.

Also foot parking brake is a fail. Also those aluminum pedals havent changed since their introduction in the IS300.
It's hard to see, but the material used is finished and actually not too bad. It's a smooth, metal-like surface that has very fine lateral lines. Toyota has used it in other cars, but it escapes me which ones. I don't know if other parts of the interior has this same surface, but it's not a bad thing... you'll have to trust me on that.
Old 01-10-13, 12:22 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

I have to say, showing pics of the F-Sport in white was a terrible decision. White hides all the intricate curves and styling details of the exterior! Whoever approved this at Lexus should be demoted. They should of showed this F-Sport in a darker color, like a silver metallic, that would have shown off the curves and styling details more easily. Unless, this was intentionally debuted in white by Lexus, to hide some of the styling details until next week, and to stir the online communities and cause a huge discussion. If that was the plan, then Lexus succeeded.

Also, this car MUST be judged IN PERSON. There are FAR too many intricate curves, and styling cues to judge it in photos. The styling on the car is incredible, and the details need to be seen in person to be appreciated.

My first reaction to this was just WOW, AGGRESSIVE. I had a number of mixed emotions when I first saw it, but the key point is that I was filled with STRONG emotions just by looking at the car. The 2IS upon first seeing it did not do that to me. I liked the 2IS almost right away upon seeing it, but it was not a strong emotion nor did I have a "WOW" type of jarring response when I saw it.

The 3IS is definitely meant to be more emotional, and I think Lexus absolutely succeeded in the styling of the 3IS. It is meant to be the YOUNG Lexus, the affordable Lexus who want a sporty, fast car, who want a daring Lexus. The IS is the sportiest Lexus, and the styling should reflect that. The 3IS styling definitely reflects that.

I can see some of you are very turned off by the styling, and that's the point. This is not your mom's ES, your dad's RX, or even your own GS, for some of you that own a GS. For those who love a more conservative Lexus, there are *still* plenty of Lexus models available for more conservative buyers. The new IS however is NOT for you. It's catering to a younger demographic.

Also to add, after the initial "WOW" reaction to the styling, and closely looking at the exterior and interior pics, I think Lexus has done a BRILLIANT job. The exterior has grown on me extremely fast, and the interior was love at first sight for myself. I think the interior is OUTSTANDING for the price range, and is easily class-leading. I love just how daring the exterior looks.

LOVE LOVE LOVE the very pronounced fender flares, and the raw aggression the exterior carries. The exterior carries a very strong "Japanese Samurai" vibe to it.

Also this is the F-Sport, so the more radical model exterior-wise. Let's wait and see what the regular IS looks like, as it will be a bit tamer and conservative style-wise.

I also love the split DRL/headlamp combination. It brings back the spirit of the 2GS and its quad headlamps, while being very edgy, and distinctive, yet still fitting for an IS.

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
I'm just pointing out that with this new car, Lexus is drastically changing their demographic. For the past 20 years, they have worked hard to build a core clientel of sophistacted, understated, and conservative designs that appeal to smart, refined, and wealthy people. This new IS transforms all of that to a different demographic. I hope this works for the company, as I am a huge Lexus fan. But personally, I am one of the old-school people who appreciates a timeless design over one that matches the day's trend, but dies off fast. Time will prove whether this helps or hurts the company.
How can you be so sure this design will "die off fast"?

Lexus still offers a variety of models for those traditional buyers. However, the IS was not, and is not intended to be bought by those traditional buyers. The IS always was, and is meant to appeal to a younger demographic, and to get many buyers who are new to Lexus. The IS (along with the CT now) is meant to be a "gateway" car for younger people to get into the Lexus brand.

I think this is brilliant on the part of Lexus. All their new models have very strong styling similarities, yet they are NOT "one sausage, different lengths" when it comes to styling. Each new Lexus model still has it's own unique little styling details that set it apart from other Lexus models, while still maintaining a family resemblance. Furthermore, each Lexus now has a more distinctive driving experience. The GS and IS for example are much sportier than the ES or LS.

The greater differentiation of the GS and IS versus the ES and LS should reduce sales cannibalization between some of these models.

No it's not a "fail", not at all. The demographic this car is aiming for prefers a sporty setup, and a foot parking brake is the sportier setup.
Old 01-10-13, 12:30 AM
UpSideDown
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Squirrelz
That's why a dark color like black or grey would work best with this style. It will help bridge the gap between the DRL and headlilghts.
Nah, then the gap between head lights and Nike LED will be even more noticeable on a dark color car. Try to change the color of the car to black and you will see. Especially when the headlights and the LEDs are switched on.

There must be a reason why Lexus shows the new car in white and not in other color...

Last edited by UpSideDown; 01-10-13 at 12:34 AM.
Old 01-10-13, 12:40 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

>>>>>
How can you be so sure this design will "die off fast"?

Lexus still offers a variety of models for those traditional buyers. However, the IS was not, and is not intended to be bought by those traditional buyers. The IS always was, and is meant to appeal to a younger demographic, and to get many buyers who are new to Lexus. The IS (along with the CT now) is meant to be a "gateway" car for younger people to get into the Lexus brand.

I think this is brilliant on the part of Lexus. All their new models have very strong styling similarities, yet they are NOT "one sausage, different lengths" when it comes to styling. Each new Lexus model still has it's own unique little styling details that set it apart from other Lexus models, while still maintaining a family resemblance. Furthermore, each Lexus now has a more distinctive driving experience. The GS and IS for example are much sportier than the ES or LS.

The greater differentiation of the GS and IS versus the ES and LS should reduce sales cannibalization between some of these models.

No it's not a "fail", not at all. The demographic this car is aiming for prefers a sporty setup, and a foot parking brake is the sportier setup.[/QUOTE]

<<<

Historically, car designs that are edgy and out there typically become dated and fall out of style faster than designs that are more conservative and mainstream. It's like the song of the month or actor of the year.... they are always replaced by the next visible flavor. This has been proven time and time again with past Hondas, Toyotas, and Nissan models. Some of the most basic box designs still look fresh today and have legendary resale as a result. With the new IS, Lexus will either create the next big thing that everyone copies (I'm sure Hyundai is watching very closely) or alienate itself. The IS is no longer a solid bet, but more of a wildcard.
Old 01-10-13, 01:23 AM
UpSideDown
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Pyramid
I just saw this on my facebook. So SWEEET!! 3IS is going to look nice modded.

From this angel the car looks like a 2gen IS with another front bumper. And the weird shape at the bottom of the headlight looks like part of the bumper that covers up the old 2gen IS headlight...
Old 01-10-13, 02:08 AM
McMuffin
Rookie

The interior is beautiful!

That exterior though, that looks HORRIBLE. Who looked at the front end and said YES! I LOVE IT! They should be fired immediately.

Acura's beak looks gorgeous compared to this monstrosity.

The 2IS design is top notch, clean cohesive and attractive. How did it turn into this mess? The car looks like it's melting.

The jaggy headlights are retarded and how much did Lexus pay to use Nike's swoosh for the DRL?
Old 01-10-13, 02:51 AM
JoshIS408
- - G T V I P - -

Received 117 Likes on 44 Posts

If I trade in for the new IS, im sure it will look something along the lines like this...

Please excuse my PS skills haha

/endboredom
Old 01-10-13, 03:04 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

well overall it looks 10x better than prototype that was all black interior... and it looks a lot nicer with a lot nicer materials used than my own 2009 IS220d Luxury.
Old 01-10-13, 03:04 AM
UpSideDown
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by JoshIS408
If I trade in for the new IS, im sure it will look something along the lines like this...

Please excuse my PS skills haha

/endboredom
Nice. Now the front bumper looks much better
Old 01-10-13, 03:10 AM
DOC4LEX
Pole Position

Peeps i think we all getting to emotional here myself include lets wait until each and everyone of us has seen it in the metal first then wait for RC F-sport coupe. Its only then we can pass final logical judgements once we have at least expericed a personal test drive.

Quick Reply: 2014 LEXUS IS Official Debut Discussion (merged threads)