keyless entry not working

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-20, 01:07 PM
nebulazoe
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Exclamation keyless entry not working

Recently got a 2014 lexus is350 from a copart auction

fixed up the collision pretty good. light damage (headlights, bumper, tail lights, rear bumper, radiator.)

I only got 1 original key fob with the car and it only happens to work on the passenger side.

They keyless entry lock and unlock system doesn't work on the driver side (the most important side!)... the lock and unlock functions fine from the fob and door panel. just the sensors on the handle not working... my hunch its the key fob sensor and not lock actuator?

Lexus dealership said it would be +$350 to diagnose alone... Am I better off replacing the antenna inside the door or the handle? and if anyone has any instruction on how to would be awesome. can seem to find anything else besides this.

Last edited by nebulazoe; 11-16-20 at 01:09 PM. Reason: forgot detail
Old 11-16-20, 06:08 PM
pngo
Intermediate

Received 82 Likes on 64 Posts

Does the car beep when you touch the door handle on the driver side with the fob on you?
Old 11-16-20, 06:17 PM
nebulazoe
Driver School Candidate

no it doesn't beep when I touch the driver side.

It does beep when i touch the passenger side though.
Old 11-17-20, 04:32 AM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,738 Likes on 1,371 Posts

Welcome to the forum!

When you approach the driver or passenger door with the key on your person, you should notice the puddle light under the sideview mirror come on.
This is the first indication that the vehicle senses the key...usually within 1 metre (3 feet) of the door handle.
When you touch the handle, as mentioned above, the vehicle and lights will beep/flash twice, assuming it was locked...which you already noted it doesn't do on the drivers side.
If neither the puddle light come on on the drivers side AND the vehicle does not beep/flash when you touch the handle, then the first place to start is with the handle assembly.
If all the other functions on the drivers door work, i.e. power door/window switches, power mirror switch, then I would assume it is the handle, as the wiring for all the circuits would be fine, I would suspect the chances of the wiring for the handle alone being damaged to be slim.
If you want to double check before getting parts, swap the front door handles side to side...if the issue is the handle then the drivers door will be working now and the passenger door will not.
The following users liked this post:
nebulazoe (11-23-20)
Old 11-23-20, 09:12 AM
nebulazoe
Driver School Candidate

Yes the puddle light does light up on the passenger side but not on the driver side. So it would either be the antenna inside the door that detects the key fob or the handle itself ...
Old 11-23-20, 11:24 AM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by nebulazoe
Yes the puddle light does light up on the passenger side but not on the driver side. So it would either be the antenna inside the door that detects the key fob or the handle itself ...
The antenna is in the handle. Since the puddle light is not coming on, then it's likely the handle or the handle circuit.
It could be as simple as the handle is unplugged electrically. You may want to remove the door panel and do a visual inspection.
Old 11-23-20, 11:31 AM
Voronmetro
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i have the same problem, i tested with techstream error dtc b27a1 - Open in Driver Side Electrical Antenna Circuit. I can't get to check the wiring in the door

http://www.tovenza.com/open_in_drive...7a1_-2573.html

Old 11-23-20, 12:43 PM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Voronmetro
i have the same problem, i tested with techstream error dtc b27a1 - Open in Driver Side Electrical Antenna Circuit. I can't get to check the wiring in the door

http://www.tovenza.com/open_in_drive...7a1_-2573.html
When you say you can't get to check the wiring, do you mean you can't get the door panel off? Or something else?
The first step in checking the wiring is disconnecting the handle and the Certification ECU and checking the integrity of the wires that are used to communicate back and forth...really it's 2 wires.
If everything else on the vehicle is working normally, I would suspect it's just a handle.
I would swap the handle from the passenger and see if it works first...or if you have another handle available.
Only if you found an issue with one of the two wires would you need to go checking the actual physical wires further.
Old 11-30-20, 09:04 PM
nebulazoe
Driver School Candidate

Hey Sasnuke. Thanks for the help. Took a second look at the inside of the door and sure enough the plug was disconnected. worked like a charm after.
The following 2 users liked this post by nebulazoe:
Rhydg1 (12-01-20), Sasnuke (12-01-20)
Old 09-14-24, 03:51 PM
Gritn
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My car beeps

Originally Posted by pngo
Does the car beep when you touch the door handle on the driver side with the fob on you?
hi! My car *does* beep when I touch the door handle but it doesn’t open. What does this mean?

dndndn
Old 09-14-24, 07:02 PM
arentz07
drives cars
Forum Moderator

Received 3,893 Likes on 1,966 Posts

Originally Posted by Gritn
hi! My car *does* beep when I touch the door handle but it doesn’t open. What does this mean?

dndndn
Hm. Door lock actuator problem?