IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

The 2014 Lexus IS is expected to make its official debut at the 2013 NAIAS in Detroit

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-12, 06:21 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411

lol yes, a lot of creativity there. to make you feel better, 3gs was nowhere better either

Originally Posted by spwolf
yep... and as you know I have been told that 250 will not change, so i doubt 350 will too.

I am interested to see if IS300h actually has 240hp as they told me... what backs it up is that it will be 5k more expensive than 250 in Europe, while we know ES300h is only 2k more than ES350.
but we will see.. personally, for europe, 200hp is more than enough.
i am interested to find out about 300h too, that would be interesting if they have 240hp. that makes the 250 pretty pointless (maybe except cost).
Old 08-07-12, 06:32 PM
Carmaker1
Instructor

Received 130 Likes on 56 Posts

Honestly not too much bigger. I personally believe it utilizes space better just like the 4GS does while still retaining basically the same size and weight.

Amen. I told myself on September 26th 2008 I would keep her for at least a decade hah. I'm worried

You got it.

It was interesting to see how small the upper portion of the spindle grill is. Close to how the current one is.

The "slab" feel of the sides remind me of the 2IS, but overall I do think this is a full redesign. Similar to how the 3GS and 4GS share the same kind of green house. Like I mentioned above, I think they will use existing space better utilized like in the 4GS. Which IMO is good because I love the compact ness of my 2IS.

hah I'd love to unveil it but the consequences just aren't worth it

From what I gather, the actual F will soldier on much like the current E90 M3 despite the new 13' F30. At least for about a year and a half after the IS is released.

Yup they just need to utilize space better. Here's a pic from a few years ago when I had to transport wheels and tires. Let me just say that the 2IS trunk is useless..

trunk is pathetic, held 1 tire lmao. 2 wheels front seat, 2 rear, 2 tires rear, 1 tire on my center console

I knew it! THANK YOU! Glad to know I wasn't imagining it, as something didn't jive with me how the closest thing to that front picture was the current IS. I just don't know why others didn't take them seriously and chose to rely on silly old renders(save for 2 maybe). It seems clear to me now why Lexus didn't mind showing the ES and LS teasers in Detroit, as the former was imminently debuting and the latter was only a facelift(the actual 5th gen. was only recently frozen). I hope both the Infiniti G and the '14 IS will be out by next May, so I can replace my '08 G35 with one. That is, if Lexus offers a manual.
Old 08-07-12, 07:30 PM
cino
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks again Hoovey. A little more room is always welcome.
Hopefully, next IS-F will go on head to head against next M3 (in hp war and handling).
Old 08-07-12, 09:35 PM
ABC
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for the info, Hoovey! Sad to hear the hybrid may cost $5k more than the 250... but looking forward to the changes! I'm hoping i still like my 250 after the debut so i don't spend money on another car, lol...
Old 08-07-12, 10:04 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
lol yes, a lot of creativity there. to make you feel better, 3gs was nowhere better either

i am interested to find out about 300h too, that would be interesting if they have 240hp. that makes the 250 pretty pointless (maybe except cost).
cost is a big deal, €5k is a lot of money.

As to the trunk, 2IS has a lot better trunk than 3GS. Trunk is perfectly fine and could lose an inch or two if it means more space... it is not SUV but can transport enough luggage.

3GS as you know had pretty poor trunk due to usability issues. 2IS has a lot wider opening and wider front part of the trunk so you can stuff actually more things into it... But 4 guys in 2IS on 2500 trip, it was like putting on a suit thats 2 sizes smaller... it can do for an hour but for 2 days? you want to scream :-)
Old 08-08-12, 07:57 AM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ydooby
... If the main competition offers such flexibility and Lexus doesn't, then it's Lexus's problem because they've excluded themselves from being considered by those who have needs to travel with friends occasionally but don't want to give up sporty driving and can't afford the GS just yet. .
Will they gain sales of those customers, but lose the sales of the customers who actually like the smaller and tighter passenger cabin?

tough call.

this is like a monkey opening up his fist full of peanuts so that he can grab two more that fell to the ground.
Old 08-08-12, 08:00 AM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Yup they just need to utilize space better. Here's a pic from a few years ago when I had to transport wheels and tires. Let me just say that the 2IS trunk is useless..

trunk is pathetic, held 1 tire lmao. 2 wheels front seat, 2 rear, 2 tires rear, 1 tire on my center console

Interestingly, the 2003 Mazda6 is identical in exterior dimensions to the 2006 IS250 but the Mazda6 can sit 5 and has a trunk that can fit 3 wheels (I know I did).
Old 08-08-12, 08:05 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by chikoo
Interestingly, the 2003 Mazda6 is identical in exterior dimensions to the 2006 IS250 but the Mazda6 can sit 5 and has a trunk that can fit 3 wheels (I know I did).
so is every other FWD car in the segment, like Toyota Avensis... it has a lot more space than IS OR 3 series or A4.

It is not that complicated, it has more upright seating position, thinner seats, etc. While in Lexus, you sit laid back and seats are huge, and it is RWD so all the hardware is there at the back.
Old 08-08-12, 08:20 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I will have to disagree with you here. very respectfully I might add.

The IS is designed for the young entry level lux buyer, a typical couple with at most couple of babies. It has been the best seller in that and no reason to change it. Mazda changed the 2003 Mazda6 to be larger based upon vocal feedback such as yours and Mazda did not listen to the folks who did not ask for it. The sales number drop of the current Mazda6 speaks for themselves.

The GS is the step up if you want a couple with 2 teen/adult kids in the back seat.

The ES is the setup if you want to just use the car as a fill-it-up with bodies.
I'm not buying this point at all. The IS is Lexus' competitor to the 3-Series and A4; I see tons of those 2 cars in my very residential area. Many, many of those owners are with families with kids of all ages. Same goes for TSX and Infiniti G. I wouldn't call those buyers with kids "very young." You can't tell your customer base: "We shouldn't make a car that's more in tune with your needs, even though our competitors do it--buy our bigger models that don't have the characteristics you are looking for." Guess what--I'm going to the competition. I don't want an ES, and I'm not kicking in the extra dough for a GS. If I can get an A4, and it has more room, and Lexus doesn't want to improve its product, I'm going with Audi.

That said, I have a 9 year old and a 7 year old, and the rear seat is fine for them. But Lexus has to know, for the 3IS, that the rear seat room is one of the most consistent complaints about the car, and the competition has increased rear seat room in each new model since the 2IS came out.

Last edited by tex2670; 08-08-12 at 08:26 AM.
Old 08-08-12, 08:23 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Will they gain sales of those customers, but lose the sales of the customers who actually like the smaller and tighter passenger cabin?

tough call.

this is like a monkey opening up his fist full of peanuts so that he can grab two more that fell to the ground.
Are they really going to lose customers for 2-3 more inches of rear seat knee room, and a more efficient center console configuration?
Old 08-08-12, 08:29 AM
My0gr81
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tex2670
Are they really going to lose customers for 2-3 more inches of rear seat knee room, and a more efficient center console configuration?
They would gain more than they would loose. Look at the 3 series. The argument that they would loose customers can't be made, as people that buy 4 doors sedans would look at the flexibility to use the seats made accessible by those doors. Otherwise, they would buy a 2 doors coupe.
Old 08-08-12, 08:31 AM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by tex2670
Question is: Why did the existing customers buy the IS250 over the 330 if the space was so important?
Old 08-08-12, 08:49 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by My0gr81
They would gain more than they would loose. Look at the 3 series. The argument that they would loose customers can't be made, as people that buy 4 doors sedans would look at the flexibility to use the seats made accessible by those doors. Otherwise, they would buy a 2 doors coupe.
I am all for them gaining 10" of space as long as I still get my king position at front, and as long as car doesnt grow substantially longer.

As to the 3 series, while it is more versatile, you still wont be able to transport 4 people in comfort... sure nothing pushes at you like in IS, but back is not that comfortable, i was in F30 at the back, its passable but not desirable. IS is not passable.

So if you want a LOT more space than in IS, i would guess Lexus wants you to get ES... which has tons of space.
Old 08-08-12, 09:30 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Question is: Why did the existing customers buy the IS250 over the 330 if the space was so important?
To me, it's a matter of keeping up with the Jones. Since the 2IS has debuted, there have been new version of the A4 and the 3-Series. Both increased interior space. I just feel that the IS needs to keep pace--it doesn't have to have the most interior room, but it can't lose ground. It's obviously something Lexus thinks about--they scooped out front seatbacks to gain more room in '08 or '09.
Old 08-08-12, 09:33 AM
My0gr81
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
I am all for them gaining 10" of space as long as I still get my king position at front, and as long as car doesnt grow substantially longer.

As to the 3 series, while it is more versatile, you still wont be able to transport 4 people in comfort... sure nothing pushes at you like in IS, but back is not that comfortable, i was in F30 at the back, its passable but not desirable. IS is not passable.

So if you want a LOT more space than in IS, i would guess Lexus wants you to get ES... which has tons of space.
The whole premise is based on gaining a few (as in 2-3) more inches, not 10. As stated, the 3series and the A4 is passable, yet the IS not. Bringing it to par with it's main competitors in the same class would be business 101. If they keep this up at this rate, the IS will end up competing with the 1 Series, the GS/ES with the 3. Looking at pricing, maybe, that is not a far off compare.

Quick Reply: The 2014 Lexus IS is expected to make its official debut at the 2013 NAIAS in Detroit