IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

The 2014 Lexus IS is expected to make its official debut at the 2013 NAIAS in Detroit

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-12, 02:05 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 449 Likes on 294 Posts

Actually, now I realise why Burnsie's LF-CC and LF-LC's stylish front ends are NOT used in real life - because in real life, we have a number plate.
Lexus has to design a stylish spindle grill that can be used in real life.
So far, the 4GS F Sport front end with the zig zag grill is the most stylish....
Old 12-08-12, 02:07 PM
cino
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by peteharvey
However, their new sat nav control is gone? Replace by BM copy jog dial?
With a fussy cheap looking oddments tray version of a Benz forearm rest behind the jog dial?

New 3IS doesn't look as smooth and slick inside as I would have hoped.
Hopefully it delivers on the outside, and in the drive...
Test car didn't have Nav. That dial is for model without nav. They have it on a few Lexus models as well, so it's not direct replica of BMW.

I respect your opinion, but look is subjective. I like how the interior look. It resemble of LF-CC interior which is modern and sleek IMO. I like the new location of push start button.
Old 12-08-12, 02:13 PM
cino
Lexus Champion

Actually, now I realise why Burnsie's LF-CC and LF-LC's stylish front ends are NOT used in real life - because in real life, we have a number plate.
So far, the 4GS F Sport front end with the zig zag grill is the most stylish....
LS F sport grill is 10 times better IMO. Not saying GS F-sport front is not nice, but it's missing something. The chrome surround spindle grill is complete in LS, but isn't in GS. GS front is like the 2nd generation of CT200h front, while LS front looks like a revolution of spindle grill.

Last edited by cino; 12-08-12 at 02:19 PM. Reason: typo
Old 12-08-12, 05:23 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by cino
LS F sport grill is 10 times better IMO. Not saying GS F-sport front is not nice, but it's missing something. The chrome surround spindle grill is complete in LS, but isn't in GS. GS front is like the 2nd generation of CT200h front, while LS front looks like a revolution of spindle grill.
yeah, LS grille is by far the most impressive implementation.

as to the interior, this is all prototype grade plastics that are sometimes poorly fitted and i dont think we saw any of them having proper finish. Lots of simply non-production buttons everywhere, for instance that control in hybrid for fake sound generator looks like from truck, and plastics under the steering wheel look like they were molded manually by a heat gun just to cover the area.

however what we did see is ... leather! Leather on the top of the dash and leather going around HVAC area, down to the transmission tunnel and around it... maybe not as much as in GS, but plenty for your knees to hit leather pads instead of plastic like in current 2IS (and most of the competition).

So to me, and I have top spec 2IS, it looks quite large improvement.
Old 12-08-12, 06:15 PM
lexus66666
Rookie

Whats the rough price will be for the 3is? £££ $$$
Old 12-08-12, 08:50 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

Here is simple, clean, smooth, slick looking 1978 Porsche 928 interior styling.
The secret is to use few panels, few joins, as well as smooth panels, and smooth joins.
I was hoping the 3IS would look more like a 2013 version of this, but they did get the parallel central console to door arm rests right.

The closest modern day interior to that 1978 Porsche, is this BMW 6 Series interior:

So simple, with few panels, few joins, smooth panels and joins, such stylish lines, not to mention modern colors.
Having fewer panels is not only cheaper to manufacture, but also cheaper assembly costs, and more rigid a design.

With an interior similar to this, the 3IS and 4GS would quite simply decimate the competition.
We're looking for that knock out punch from Lexus...
I agree the 928 dash is a model of cleanliness and simplicity. The BMW on the other hand looks like a freakshow. Colors aside, the obtrusive diagonal line splitting the dash and console into to sides is harsh and unnecessary. Same with the ridges below the A-pillar bases.
Old 12-08-12, 11:41 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 449 Likes on 294 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
I agree the 928 dash is a model of cleanliness and simplicity. The BMW on the other hand looks like a freakshow. Colors aside, the obtrusive diagonal line splitting the dash and console into to sides is harsh and unnecessary. Same with the ridges below the A-pillar bases.
You might prefer these conventional colors more: all black, or black on beige/tan.
I suspect we could even get black on light grey?

Old 12-09-12, 12:11 AM
Mr. Burns
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The key to making the spindle look good is the 3D effect. Notice when viewed from the side, the LF-CC and LF-LC grills pull out at the top and sweep back inwards towards the bottom:

Achieving this and making it work on a production car requires 100% commitment from the get go, which I don't think the GS had and the LS certainly did not have. The LS spindle is not as 3D because it was forced onto a car (and front end) that wasn't designed for it from the start.

I think from the 3IS forward this design language will improve significantly for next generation Lexus models.
Old 12-09-12, 12:35 AM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 87 Likes on 52 Posts

You might prefer these conventional colors more: all black, or black on beige/tan.
I suspect we could even get black on light grey?

This actually looks more cluttered than the Lexus interior. I especially hate how the monitor pops up above the dash and becomes a magnet for sunlight glare. The pop-up screen spoils the lines of the dash and looks almost like an after-market part.
Old 12-09-12, 07:02 AM
EthanV
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by lexus66666
Whats the rough price will be for the 3is? £££ $$$
Im saying base start at 41k and fsport 47k and extra for options (350?)
Base 36k and fsport 42k and + more for options (250))... IS300h probably 2-3 k extra!
Old 12-09-12, 07:02 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Not sure point of posting Porsche and BMW interiors as imo they bear NO resemblance at all to any Lexus interior old or new.
Old 12-09-12, 07:49 AM
mordecai
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by natnut
This actually looks more cluttered than the Lexus interior. I especially hate how the monitor pops up above the dash and becomes a magnet for sunlight glare. The pop-up screen spoils the lines of the dash and looks almost like an after-market part.
But what I like about BMW's interior is that each piece is shaped to fit its own area, not just simply shaped like a boxy rectangle. Just look at the buttons at the edge of the console area, they are tapered in a trapezoid shape to match the angle of the console's sides. Likewise in the steering wheel, the buttons are shaped and designed according to its place within the interior. The buttons in the 3IS's steering wheel are in not as well designed in my opinion and look a little bit like the Camry's steering wheel buttons. I also see this in the 4GS' interior, in the top console area with the climate controls, the TEMP buttons are boxy and rectangular and not angled to match its containing box.

To me this lack of attention to detail bothers me a little bit, even if I still love the 4GS and 3IS interiors overall. They are at the top or shares the top of their respective classes. The Germans win in detailed design but Lexus overall is at least equal or better in overall design. Lexus has stepped up their game in interior design for sure beginning with the CT up to the new IS, but they can improve in designing the details.
Old 12-09-12, 08:23 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by mordecai
But what I like about BMW's interior is that each piece is shaped to fit its own area, not just simply shaped like a boxy rectangle. Just look at the buttons at the edge of the console area, they are tapered in a trapezoid shape to match the angle of the console's sides. Likewise in the steering wheel, the buttons are shaped and designed according to its place within the interior. The buttons in the 3IS's steering wheel are in not as well designed in my opinion and look a little bit like the Camry's steering wheel buttons. I also see this in the 4GS' interior, in the top console area with the climate controls, the TEMP buttons are boxy and rectangular and not angled to match its containing box.

To me this lack of attention to detail bothers me a little bit, even if I still love the 4GS and 3IS interiors overall. They are at the top or shares the top of their respective classes. The Germans win in detailed design but Lexus overall is at least equal or better in overall design. Lexus has stepped up their game in interior design for sure beginning with the CT up to the new IS, but they can improve in designing the details.
well, i wish they extended detailing to the leather pad around your knee area, as i can see there is hard plastic that your knee hits... unlike 3IS. In general, I dont think Lexus needs to take an look at BMW at all when it comes to interiors, F30 interior is - crap - in all but high end models, but even in those, build quality is not premium.

otherwise, base and mid spec F30's interior has materials like Toyota and not Lexus.
Old 12-09-12, 08:27 AM
mordecai
Lead Lap

Just talking purely about the design though.
Old 12-09-12, 10:55 AM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

Im afraid that the center console and dash of the IS will look too similar to the CT and HS where it is a sea of black plastic. I actually like the look of having the silver plastic that was used for so many years because at least it adds some sort of contrast and color, even if it is fake aluminum. It looks like there wont be wood in the shifter area nor where the heated/cooled seat buttons will be. Where will they put the wood?

Quick Reply: The 2014 Lexus IS is expected to make its official debut at the 2013 NAIAS in Detroit