IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

The 2014 Lexus IS is expected to make its official debut at the 2013 NAIAS in Detroit

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-12, 09:02 AM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

I wonder if this new IS will have the Lux and F-Sport models, similar to 4GS ?
Old 09-07-12, 09:06 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 185 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by SNiiP3R
I wonder if this new IS will have the Lux and F-Sport models, similar to 4GS ?
i hope that's the direction they go with
Old 09-07-12, 09:35 AM
deepflip
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the tail lights gonna look sick, as as the new ls
Old 09-07-12, 11:38 AM
dmvp29
Lead Lap

The grill only has the illusion of being rectangular with rounded edges due to the covering, right? Obviously it has to be the angled spindle grill design underneath the covering correct?
Old 09-07-12, 11:53 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm looking very forward to this car. If they can apply the 4GS formula to the IS, I think the car will be a huge hit.

I'm hoping for:
- Weight reduction
- Revamped driving dynamics
- Updated engines
- Mini-GS styled interior with a cabin slightly larger than the 2IS
- Dramatic spindle front end
- ~230hp hybrid that can get 38+MPG
Old 09-07-12, 12:10 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe Z
I like the PLASTI-DIP'd wheels
Old 09-07-12, 12:51 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

looks like they put 4 front IS wheels on the car instead of the wider rear. Gives up a lot less information about the car.
Old 09-07-12, 01:03 PM
ydooby
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
looks like they put 4 front IS wheels on the car instead of the wider rear. Gives up a lot less information about the car.
That's because it's the AWD version (as can be told from the huge wheel gap).
Old 09-07-12, 02:05 PM
jwong77
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Whats going on with the trunk? It seems to stick out quite a bit. Is that a spoiler on there?
Old 09-07-12, 02:45 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by ydooby
That's because it's the AWD version (as can be told from the huge wheel gap).
doesnt mean anything, you cant tell the drivetrain from a heavily concealed test mule. They can make the car look as ugly as they want to throw off the scent
Old 09-07-12, 02:54 PM
Mr. Burns
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jwong77
Whats going on with the trunk? It seems to stick out quite a bit. Is that a spoiler on there?
Probably a piece of cardboard or foam under the camo to throw off the spy shots.
Old 09-07-12, 02:57 PM
ydooby
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
doesnt mean anything, you cant tell the drivetrain from a heavily concealed test mule. They can make the car look as ugly as they want to throw off the scent
Why would they want to road-test a car if it isn't equipped with the right road-contacting stuff? By using the wrong equipment the data they gather would be meaningless. There is enough evidence that this is the AWD version already: 17" rims, same width for 4 tires, huge wheel gap, all trademarks of the AWD version.
Old 09-07-12, 02:59 PM
LexFather

Maybe its just me but after 20 years of black plastic "spy photos" I don't care much if at all. Just show me the car.

It is utterly amazing to see people bicker and argue and try to stand by some strong point with a camo mule and they have no inner insight to lead people to a strong conclusion.

I'm not even sure how the article says this car is sleeker when the current IS looks as sleek as anything and its 8 years old. I have a feeling the IS will sit more upright like the GS to offer more room that everyone who didn't buy one can stop *****ing about

Old 09-07-12, 02:59 PM
Carmaker1
Instructor

Received 130 Likes on 56 Posts

I don't think those images you posted are even new or different, as they are the same ones I already posted from Motor Authority on the previous page. Hopefully we'll see some more that are up close soon. It's also rather ironic that it was caught right in front of a Toyota dealership.

Originally Posted by Joe Z
We have more today...!!!! via MotorAuthority

Rolling shots on the streets of SoCal...

2014 Lexus IS Spy Shots

"Prototype for the completely redesigned 2014 Lexus IS have been spotted in the U.S., and though they are heavily camouflaged a few key details about the upcoming sedan can be ascertained. We can clearly see elements of the car’s new spindle grille, which looks to be the most aggressive iteration of the corporate Lexus grille we’ve seen thus far.

The overall dimensions of the car haven’t changed much compared to the current IS, though the profile appears much more streamlined. The trailing edge of the roof has been masked with additional padding to hide the new shape, but we know from previous comments made by a Lexus exec that the design will be rather striking.

At the rear, we can see a sharp crease leading from the top of the fender to the trunk lid, as well as what could possibly be new inverted L-shaped tail-lamps inspired by the units on the LF-LC concept car. Beneath these is a pair of fairly conventional oval exhaust tips.

Though there are claims the 2014 IS will utilize a stretched version of Toyota’s rear-wheel drive platform underpinning the Scion FR-S and its Subaru BRZ twin, a more likely scenario would see the new IS ride on a shortened version of the GS’ platform. Giving credence to the latter was the sighting of early test mules for the new IS wearing a similar suspension setup to the one in the GS. This means that the new IS may feature adjustable damping and active rear steering, just like its bigger brother.

As for the powertrain lineup, a new four-cylinder engine is expected to replace the current IS 250’s 2.5-liter V-6, while the new IS 350 should pick up a version of the 306-horsepower 3.5-liter V-6 found in the GS 350. Further down the track a new hybrid model will be launched, as will a high-performance IS F model, though it’s unclear at this point whether it will stick with a V-8 or downsize to a force-fed V-6.

Stay tuned as development progresses, and look for a debut of the 2014 Lexus IS at a major international auto show within the next six months or so."

Enjoy,

~ Joe Z
Old 09-07-12, 03:05 PM
LexFather

btw I was told it will have dramatic tail lamps whatever that means

Quick Reply: The 2014 Lexus IS is expected to make its official debut at the 2013 NAIAS in Detroit