IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

The 2014 Lexus IS is expected to make its official debut at the 2013 NAIAS in Detroit

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-12, 02:23 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
...aaaand here we are judging a completely taped up, preproduction test mule for something like wheel gap. Come on guys, they could be testing the ML audio system for all we know!

its awd obviously :-)
Old 09-06-12, 02:58 PM
bigbwb
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
its awd obviously :-)
New for 2014, Trail Edition IS

Old 09-06-12, 04:12 PM
Carmaker1
Instructor

Received 130 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
...aaaand here we are judging a completely taped up, preproduction test mule for something like wheel gap. Come on guys, they could be testing the ML audio system for all we know!

That definitely isn't a mule, it's likely an FEP prototype. I think they stopped testing non-JDM mules in August. I just wonder why it took 3 weeks to see these FEP prototypes after the heads-up I got from a Lexus official in mid-August. They either must have been testing JDM RHD prototypes in Japan months ago with faux taillights(similar to BMW/M-B prototype treatment) or leaked design proposals for the FEP's side and rear profile to be so identical to this 2011 render. From what I remember, all the teaser photos shown earlier this year were taken after the LF-LC project's completion in late November and early December 2011, which is when this render appeared.
Compare:
Attached Thumbnails The 2014 Lexus IS is expected to make its official debut at the 2013 NAIAS in Detroit-11-11-22-2013-lexus-is-sedan.jpg  

Last edited by Carmaker1; 09-06-12 at 04:29 PM. Reason: Image host not displaying photo.
Old 09-06-12, 04:46 PM
Carmaker1
Instructor

Originally Posted by Mr. Burns
BTW, thank you Mr. Burns! You were the first to spot out the '14 IS front fascia earlier this year and now the entire car. I look forward to more of these as it's interesting to see something as old as the IS getting replaced. If only Infiniti didn't wait till 2 weeks before presentation(in March) to test prototypes outside of Japan, so that I can make a choice on whether the '14 G3? or the F30 gets my vote.
Old 09-06-12, 06:38 PM
Mr. Burns
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

^ ^
Indeed we already know what the front end will look like: similar headlights to the current IS though slightly more angled along with a more simplistic version of the spindle grill.

The body overall looks to be unchanged versus the outgoing model:

The 2014 Lexus IS is expected to make its official debut at the 2013 NAIAS in Detroit-85n4x.jpg

The door handles seem to be unchanged on both as well from what I can see poking through the camo. However there does seem to be a different rocker design similar to the rendering but it could just be the camo. Hopefully this won't be like the LS where only the front and rear are changed.
Old 09-06-12, 07:21 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Burns
^ ^
Indeed we already know what the front end will look like: similar headlights to the current IS though slightly more angled along with a more simplistic version of the spindle grill.

The body overall looks to be unchanged versus the outgoing model:

The door handles seem to be unchanged on both as well from what I can see poking through the camo. However there does seem to be a different rocker design similar to the rendering but it could just be the camo. Hopefully this won't be like the LS where only the front and rear are changed.
Side profile retains a slab appearance, but as you note the rocker panels are different. Indeed they are. In fact they sweep upward at a 45 degree angle while the tail lights are very sharp and the point goes down at a 45 degree angle both meet on an invisible line. Front has the corporate spindle grill and while the upper portion is smaller than any of the other Lexus models, the bottom part extents very wide, more so than other models. Rear is tailored nicely and the tailpipes while still dual come inwards slightly more than the current model. Interior has your GS/RX-esque steering wheel, recessed navi, remote touch, and will be the first model with NuLuxe 3 (ie perforated)
Old 09-06-12, 08:28 PM
Carmaker1
Instructor

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Side profile retains a slab appearance, but as you note the rocker panels are different. Indeed they are. In fact they sweep upward at a 45 degree angle while the tail lights are very sharp and the point goes down at a 45 degree angle both meet on an invisible line. Front has the corporate spindle grill and while the upper portion is smaller than any of the other Lexus models, the bottom part extents very wide, more so than other models. Rear is tailored nicely and the tailpipes while still dual come inwards slightly more than the current model. Interior has your GS/RX-esque steering wheel, recessed navi, remote touch, and will be the first model with NuLuxe 3 (ie perforated)
Thanks for the info! I didn't want to get you into any trouble by asking you if the render matched the actual car.
Old 09-06-12, 10:47 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

One new trend I'm noticing with the Lexus sedans is they are scraping out the bottom of the rear bumper and showing too much earth and suspension beneath. A sporty look has body and lower mass. I don't like this direction at all. The above car seems to suffer from the same thing. Too much underbody junk exposed, right where things need to flair out and make the center of gravity appear low.
Old 09-06-12, 10:48 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

I predict this thread will become the largest in recent CL history. Goes to show how important this car is.
Old 09-06-12, 11:04 PM
cino
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I see the improve the blind spot a bit....
Anyway, where is the coupe version?
Old 09-06-12, 11:21 PM
ba-b4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

From the proportions it doesn't look very promising... looks even bigger than the outgoing model. I was expecting something really sleek and aggressive.. Instead looks like it's just going to be a mini GS... sigh...
Old 09-06-12, 11:59 PM
doublehh03
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That design doesn't look very promising AT ALL from the pics. Hopefully it's somebody's photoshop.
Old 09-07-12, 02:15 AM
Carmaker1
Instructor

More photos!
Prototypes for the completely redesigned 2014 Lexus IS have been spotted in the U.S., and though they are heavily camouflaged a few key details about the upcoming sedan can be ascertained. We can clearly see elements of the car’s new spindle grille, which looks to be the most aggressive iteration of the corporate Lexus grille we’ve seen thus far. Read more here

SOURCE - Motor Authority

Last edited by Carmaker1; 09-07-12 at 02:19 AM.
Old 09-07-12, 04:06 AM
Carmaker1
Instructor

Originally Posted by cino
I see the improve the blind spot a bit....
Anyway, where is the coupe version?
I think it might come later than the sedan, by like 3 months. I'm going to take a guess that they tested the coupe prototypes at home in Japan and we won't see it testing until after the mainstream IS sedan ends development.
Old 09-07-12, 08:34 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,058 Likes on 586 Posts
Arrow

We have more today...!!!! via MotorAuthority

Rolling shots on the streets of SoCal...

2014 Lexus IS Spy Shots

"Prototype for the completely redesigned 2014 Lexus IS have been spotted in the U.S., and though they are heavily camouflaged a few key details about the upcoming sedan can be ascertained. We can clearly see elements of the car’s new spindle grille, which looks to be the most aggressive iteration of the corporate Lexus grille we’ve seen thus far.

The overall dimensions of the car haven’t changed much compared to the current IS, though the profile appears much more streamlined. The trailing edge of the roof has been masked with additional padding to hide the new shape, but we know from previous comments made by a Lexus exec that the design will be rather striking.

At the rear, we can see a sharp crease leading from the top of the fender to the trunk lid, as well as what could possibly be new inverted L-shaped tail-lamps inspired by the units on the LF-LC concept car. Beneath these is a pair of fairly conventional oval exhaust tips.

Though there are claims the 2014 IS will utilize a stretched version of Toyota’s rear-wheel drive platform underpinning the Scion FR-S and its Subaru BRZ twin, a more likely scenario would see the new IS ride on a shortened version of the GS’ platform. Giving credence to the latter was the sighting of early test mules for the new IS wearing a similar suspension setup to the one in the GS. This means that the new IS may feature adjustable damping and active rear steering, just like its bigger brother.

As for the powertrain lineup, a new four-cylinder engine is expected to replace the current IS 250’s 2.5-liter V-6, while the new IS 350 should pick up a version of the 306-horsepower 3.5-liter V-6 found in the GS 350. Further down the track a new hybrid model will be launched, as will a high-performance IS F model, though it’s unclear at this point whether it will stick with a V-8 or downsize to a force-fed V-6.

Stay tuned as development progresses, and look for a debut of the 2014 Lexus IS at a major international auto show within the next six months or so."

Enjoy,

~ Joe Z

Quick Reply: The 2014 Lexus IS is expected to make its official debut at the 2013 NAIAS in Detroit