2is tire recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-15, 03:47 PM
Basselc
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2IS tire recommendations

Hey guys!
Need some help on some tire recommendations. I live in Dallas tx, so looking for a tire that does well in dry or wet conditions, as it does rain here every so often. It does also ice mainly, some snow days around here. I've been recommended the Conti DWS06 and the Dunlop signature hp, but I heard the DWS looks pretty ugly on the 2IS, so I wanted something that also looked pretty aggressive and sporty. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks guys!
Old 06-26-15, 07:48 PM
Basselc
Driver School Candidate

Default 2is tire recommendations

Hey guys!
Need some help on some tire recommendations. I live in Dallas tx, so looking for a tire that does well in dry or wet conditions, as it does rain here every so often. It does also ice mainly, some snow days around here. I've been recommended the Conti DWS06 and the Dunlop signature hp, but I heard the DWS looks pretty ugly on the 2IS, so I wanted something that also looked pretty aggressive and sporty. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks guys!
Old 06-26-15, 08:21 PM
Slammer1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Running Hankook V12's and love them. Good looking tire and very "grippy"!
Old 06-28-15, 11:07 AM
Mike_1GO
Lead Lap

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

I have the older DWS and yes, they look ugly but perform superbly in the wet/snow.
Old 06-28-15, 02:06 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Basselc
Hey guys!

Thanks guys!
Bridgestone RE760, S-04, Michelin Pilot Sport, Continental DW.

Look into those. The DWS adds all season capability that you don't need.
Old 06-28-15, 04:00 PM
cruzinZ
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I've herd some good things about the Michalin PS A/S 3 tires. They might not be the best for hard driving but it's a good all season tire. Should be able to provide decent life with a treadwear rating of 500.
Old 06-28-15, 04:02 PM
NickTee
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Michelin Pilot Super Sport is great in both the wet and the dry. The A/S 3 is based on the older Pilot Sport and still does well.
Old 06-28-15, 04:41 PM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike_1GO
I have the older DWS and yes, they look ugly but perform superbly in the wet/snow.
Another happy owner of the original Continental DWS here. Other than losing one to a pothole last winter, they've been terrific in all seasons. Biggest surprise was in snow, where they were nearly as grippy as the dedicated Pirelli Snowsport winter tires that I've been running for quite a few years.
Old 06-28-15, 05:51 PM
smokyis350
Lexus Champion

The best tires on the market are made by Michelin.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/surve...ay.jsp?type=MP
Old 06-28-15, 06:10 PM
VTsuckah
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by cruzinZ
I've herd some good things about the Michalin PS A/S 3 tires. They might not be the best for hard driving but it's a good all season tire. Should be able to provide decent life with a treadwear rating of 500.
I have these on my 350 and couldn't be happier. They are great in wet conditions.
Old 06-28-15, 06:55 PM
smokyis350
Lexus Champion

I don't think the OP needs all season tires. He only needs wet and dry performance. All season performs worst in the wet and dry compared to summer tires.

Here's the truth: "All-season" doesn't mean the tire has great performance in all seasons. It means that the tire is a compromise—the designer traded wet grip to gain some mobility in snow, give drivers tires that could provide adequate year-round performance, and save them the trouble of changing their tires before and after the winter.

But "some mobility in snow" is not the same thing as "good grip in snow." The snow traction of all-season tires varies from great to almost none. And an all-season tire has less damp-road grip than an otherwise equal summer tire from the same manufacturer. So winter is the only season when an all-season tire offers more traction than a summer tire. If you live where it never snows, the three-season regular tire always holds the traction advantage.
Old 06-29-15, 09:32 AM
WylieKylie
Lead Lap

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by smokyis350
I don't think the OP needs all season tires. He only needs wet and dry performance. All season performs worst in the wet and dry compared to summer tires.
OP asked for something that will work in wet, dry, ice and snow. Pretty much the only choice is an all season tire. All these summer performance tire recommendations are rather silly given the OPs request.

Originally Posted by Basselc
Hey guys!

Thanks guys!
Old 06-29-15, 09:42 AM
knguyenk
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I noticed that the OP encounters ice and conditions of light snow, so I have a feeling the choice will more geared towards an all-season only because of the one set all year round as opposed to two.

When I read through Tire Rack tire buying guide, I changed my decision from Pilot Super Sports to Primacy MXM4s both from Michelin was because of the fact that I do a lot of highway driving to commute to work and they recommend an all-season over the summer because of the better comfort, noise, and treadwear. Otherwise, the Pilot Super Sports fill the role of good dry and wet traction with the grip and responsiveness that I wanted out of a tire.

The Tire Rack link is here

The MXM4s was a good compromise over the PSS, though the more expensive option.

Last edited by knguyenk; 06-29-15 at 09:48 AM. Reason: Adding Tire Rack link.
Old 06-29-15, 09:57 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

Okay, we'll be sure to tell these Texans that there is no need for winter capable tires in their state :

Old 06-29-15, 12:42 PM
penone
Driver

Originally Posted by Bichon
Another happy owner of the original Continental DWS here. Other than losing one to a pothole last winter, they've been terrific in all seasons. Biggest surprise was in snow, where they were nearly as grippy as the dedicated Pirelli Snowsport winter tires that I've been running for quite a few years.
Another vote for the DWS. The only issue I had was that it does get a little noisy after awhile. I'll be moving on to the A/S 3's next month though to try something new.

Quick Reply: 2is tire recommendations