Opinion about wrapping Lexus Is 250 2006 model

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-15, 11:32 PM
lazywizard
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Opinion about wrapping Lexus Is 250 2006 model

Hi guys,

I'm a new owner of Lexus Is 250 2006 RWD, the owner before me didn't take a good care of this car, so there are lots of scratches and chip paints on the body and hoods. Therefore i'm thinking about getting this car wrap in matte black. But i don't know how much for a full car wrap and the market prices. So please give me suggestions and prices .

thank you guys

here is a picture of my car

Old 06-19-15, 08:58 AM
getafewliv
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Why not just buy dr colour chip, fix the paint chips and then get a good polish done on the car?
Old 06-19-15, 11:14 AM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts

Good wrap will cost you about $4K+, more if you want the door jambs done.
Old 06-19-15, 11:26 AM
MikeFoxx
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by getafewliv
Why not just buy dr colour chip, fix the paint chips and then get a good polish done on the car?
This your car doesn't look that bad in the pic but i'm sure up close you can see all the fun times.
Old 06-19-15, 12:09 PM
metaleckz
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Just repaint it haha
Old 06-19-15, 08:48 PM
LiquidSF
Rookie

I would just get a detail and use the extra money for mods. You could even upgrade your front end with the money used to wrap.
Old 06-19-15, 10:14 PM
whitebeast
Pole Position

Received 69 Likes on 64 Posts

+1 for detailing and use extra money for mod.
NOT A FAN OF MATT LOOKING
Old 06-20-15, 06:43 AM
srt1
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by whitebeast
+1 for detailing and use extra money for mod.
NOT A FAN OF MATT LOOKING
X2 too much $$$$ for the dark knight look. BUT that's jus my opinion.
Fix the chips and buff her out.
Old 06-21-15, 11:17 PM
Epic123
Driver School Candidate

I cannot comment on an entire vehicle wrap but I wrapped a few panels on my car that were showing signs of heavy paint chipping/cracking (most likely due to bad paint job from previous owner). I recently replaced my front bumper and it cost me $550 at the shop. I was quoted $650 to just repaint the chip/cracking front fenders and another $800 for the rear door and rear fender. So $1500 for paint and labor which is pretty steep.

After that, i started doing research on vinyl wrap and called around for pricing. I was quoted about $2k - $3k for a professional full vehicle wrap and about the same or more for a quality paint job hence the reason I decided to just fix the affected panels and spend the rest of the money else where such as new 2012 LED headlights + HID kit. This cost me about 500$ (headlight and HID) and is well worth the upgrade.

I am personally not a fan of the matte look so i went with the gloss vinyl. From a distance, the vinyl looks just like OEM paint job but of course when you go up close you don't get that mirror effect that you would from a OEM gloss black paint job but i'm not complaining. If you really like the matte look, I would recommend pastidip as it is a lot easier DIY and around the same price as a DIY vinyl wrap.

I ordered enough gloss black vinyl wrap from metrowrap on ebay to do the front fenders and rear fenders, hood. and trunk I wrapped the panels myself. I tried to wrap one of the front fenders first and it was very difficult and I ended up removing and throwing the sheet away. I tried it again with a friend and we managed to do an OK job, not perfect though (i ended up redoing that panel by myself since I got more comfortable. After doing 2 panels, I quickly realize that the job can be done by one experienced person and i actually prefer doing it on my own so I can do it my way. The rear fender panel and rear door took me about 2 hours. redoing the front driver side fender panel only took me about 30 minutes vs 1.5 hours the first time i tried before giving up lol. All you really need to do is stretch evenly (no heat) and apply. Lift up if it wrinkles and repeat with stretching. Only heat to remove wrinkles and let it cool before working so it doesnt overstretch and fade the color.

At certain angles in the sun, there's a noticeable difference from my OEM black paint but it doesnt really bother me. I'm just happy that the paint chips/cracks are gone.

It cost me about 250$ to wrap about 50% of my car so an entire car wrap would cost about $500-600 on materials if you do it yourself. The bumpers will be the hardest since it has a lot of curves.

Paint chip/cracking on passenger side front fender

Paint chip/cracking on driver side front fender

Paint chip/cracking on driver side rear fender panel

Paint chip/cracking on driver rear door

Measuring and cutting vinyl wrap for entire rear fender panel.

closer view

vinyl installed before trimming excess

View from behind.

Here is an after pic of my hood and part of passenger side front fender gloss black vinyl wrap. The bumper was new gloss black OEM paint job from a recent repair.

This is an after pic of my hood with gloss black vinyl with new LED headlights.

I might end up wrapping the entire car when I have some free time.

Hope this helps you decide if you want to go the vinyl wrap route or consider other options.