IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Please can someone explain where the rear windshield creak is coming from!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-15, 06:08 PM
mrrhr4
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Please can someone explain where the rear windshield creak is coming from!!

Ive tried looking at dozens of forums they just discuss never say where it is. Ive tried to pin point it myself! I just cant figure out where it is. Please can someone tell me where its comming from!!! Thanks
Old 05-26-15, 06:40 PM
mrrhr4
Pole Position

Bumppppppp please help!
Old 06-05-15, 09:02 PM
navarachi
Driver

There is a fix, I have accumulated a few posts on the subject and have yet to do it myself but will include for you below. Fix makes total sense too
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Yes, talking about the rear windshield. And great news, I was able to fix the problem! The NV002-05 TSB for the Lexus GS fails to mention the critical step! Simply cutting that little black tab is just prep for the final step. I figured this out by also reviewing TSB 0142-08 (Toyota). Step 2 in both of these TSB is to cut the tab, but the Toyota TSB lists step 3 on page 8

"Once the tip of the stopper has been removed, use a screwdriver to open a gap between the roof panel and the remainder of the plastic windshield stopper".

This made a lot more sense! That metal tab is what is tapping on the windshield, so bending it away from the glass solved the problem.

It was 80+ degrees and sunny yesterday, and it was Sooooo quiet in my car that I began to notice a little tiny clicking/chattering noise coming from left from air vent Should be an easy fix by comparison!

Sure. The little black tab you cut is sticking through a silver metal bracket that is mostly flat but folds up toward the windshield glass at the end. That folded piece gets very close to the glass. What I did is put a flathead screw driver horizontally in between the metal bracket and the glass and very gently twisted the screwdriver to a vertical position, which created a larger gap between the bracket and the glass. That's it!

Sorry, I don't have pics. I did this repair 2 years ago and sold the car not long afterwards. The instructions from the referenced toyota/lexus guides are sufficient to get you the right part, and you will see the black plastic tabs whose tips need to be broken off. The pics in there are accurate. Just don't forget the magic (essential!) last step of using a flat head screw driver to now bend the metal bracket gently away from the glass. That's what's hitting the glass! The silence is blissful! Get up in there and you will see it and be so happy when you are done! Good luck!
Old 06-05-15, 09:49 PM
pheonix72
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I also have this issue with my car but it usually goes away after I turn the AC ON and the car cool down. I really want to do this but too afraid remove the headliner and all those trim pieces! Hopefully the OP will figure it all out and give me some courage to do the same.