IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

pleaee tell me which wire to disable Highbeam DRL on the relay with my 2nd gen IS .

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-15, 07:55 AM
KtIS
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default pleaee tell me which wire to disable Highbeam DRL on the relay with my 2nd gen IS .

Old 05-22-15, 08:26 AM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real

Received 584 Likes on 393 Posts

There is no wire you can change/cut to disable DRL. Your dealer will have to do it if you have USA-spec car. If you have a Canadian-spec car, you will need to actually install a relay on each headlight to cut power or ground to the high beam bulb unless the low beam is also on. Or swap out the MPX ECU with a European one, or swap out the body ECU with a USA-spec one and have a dealer disable DRL.

Jeff
Old 05-22-15, 08:29 AM
KtIS
Rookie

No way to do it by my self ?
Old 05-22-15, 08:34 AM
MikeFoxx
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

I just took the bulbs out
Old 05-22-15, 08:37 AM
aspeckt
Lead Lap

I see you're in NY. go to a dealer and ask them nicely to turn them off. they're not allowed to, technically, because of safety reasons. if you do not value the use of your high beams then just take out the bulbs lol.
Old 05-22-15, 08:37 AM
ISland350
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Unless you take the bulbs out....I had to go to the dealer to have the DRLs disabled when i installed my 2012s
Old 05-22-15, 10:42 AM
skyshadow
Lead Lap

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Whoa, slow down. Don't go cutting stuff. Like everyone is saying, the dealer can and will do that for you. If you go to Lexus.com, scroll all the way to the bottom, click on Lexus Service, then chose your model under the "Lexus Personalized Settings" tab. It will be a PDF to print out. Will show at least 3 pages of things Lexus can change for you on the car to personalize it for you. Should be a free service when paired with something like a oil change or tire rotation.
As for them not doing it because it is "unsafe" and "illegal"... WHAT? Unless that is a New York thing, that is a lie. Hell, We will disable your seatbelt buzzer if you request it.
Old 05-22-15, 01:25 PM
aspeckt
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by skyshadow
Whoa, slow down. Don't go cutting stuff. Like everyone is saying, the dealer can and will do that for you. If you go to Lexus.com, scroll all the way to the bottom, click on Lexus Service, then chose your model under the "Lexus Personalized Settings" tab. It will be a PDF to print out. Will show at least 3 pages of things Lexus can change for you on the car to personalize it for you. Should be a free service when paired with something like a oil change or tire rotation.
As for them not doing it because it is "unsafe" and "illegal"... WHAT? Unless that is a New York thing, that is a lie. Hell, We will disable your seatbelt buzzer if you request it.
not a lie, lexus of orlando and the lexus dealership in raleigh blabbed something about DRLs being a safety feature and turned me away like I didn't know what I was talking about. So I visited 3 dealers before one dude was just like whatever man i'll do it. lol why would I make this up?
Old 05-22-15, 02:37 PM
Ants350
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Bulb out! No cutting
Old 05-22-15, 02:55 PM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 255 Likes on 225 Posts

Originally Posted by Ants250
Bulb out! No cutting
Sounds like a very bad idea; the DRL bulb is the high beam. Think of the liability if you hit someone walking along a dark roadside and the victim's lawyer discovered that you intentionally disabled your lights.

If you can't find a dealer willing to turn off your DRLs, you can probably find someone in your area with a mini VCI adapter and Techstream software willing to help you out.
Old 05-22-15, 06:34 PM
iNfectious
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The ISx50 DRL is not like my dad's 06 Tundra where you can just disconnect the relay to disable the DRL.

Have to disable with Techstream.
Old 05-22-15, 08:06 PM
LC_Ryan
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is there no way to wire the DRL's to a switch ? Probably a dumb question but I am curious.
Old 05-22-15, 09:39 PM
LeXmanG
Rookie

Here's the way I did it (a retrofit)

Old 05-23-15, 10:04 AM
skyshadow
Lead Lap

^ I kinda like it.
Old 05-23-15, 10:09 AM
skyshadow
Lead Lap

I wont babble on about my job title, I will just tell you that those Dealers were being lazy or vengeful for not buying with them. I have heard of dealerships denying tech help for free because the customer did not buy with them. Encounters like that should be brought up to Lexus. The DRL settings are customizable, along with many other settings, meaning you can request them to be changed and the dealer should do it.

Quick Reply: pleaee tell me which wire to disable Highbeam DRL on the relay with my 2nd gen IS .