IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Wife drove over a small pothole and the damage was $10,153. Lexus IS 250 please look

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-15, 01:36 PM
jennie
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by blowndave
Well LEXUS called me today and gave their answer. THEY SAID THEY HAVE NEVER HEARD OF THIS AND I MISHEARD THE DEALER, ADJUSTER, MANAGERS, ETC... THEY SAID I AM THE ONLY PERSON THAT HAS EVER HAD THIS HAPPEN. They said it is a crumple zone and is supposed to do that!

Well, i am enjoying a new BMW. I was going to buy a new GS or RX but that is no longer an option. I WILL NEVER BUY ANOTHER LEXUS!

Good luck guys, Lexus will not stand behind their defect... they will have to get sued to make it right.

IF ANYBODY WANTS TO JOIN IN A CLASS ACTION SUIT WHO HAS HAD THIS HAPPEN, PLEASE PM ME. I AM CURRENTLY SEEKING COUNSEL WHO WANTS TO PURSUE THE ISSUE
Speaking of BMW, this whole situation kind of reminds me of the problems the E46s had. It was a well known issue that BMW ignored until a class action lawsuit was filed against them.

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=679669

You might have a case. Keep us posted.
Old 05-12-15, 01:36 PM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

Potholes do the most damage on surface streets when driving more slowly. I had my incident happen on a 40mph road doing about 35mph.
Old 05-12-15, 02:31 PM
blowndave
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jennie
Speaking of BMW, this whole situation kind of reminds me of the problems the E46s had. It was a well known issue that BMW ignored until a class action lawsuit was filed against them.

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=679669

You might have a case. Keep us posted.
Lexus is not the only one... It just really pisses me of to spend almost 50k on a car just to find out that It can't even withstand a simple road hazard.

I am really upset about the "I don't care I got your money" corporate attitude these days. No one wants to stand behind their products anymore...
Old 05-12-15, 04:42 PM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That is why I always pay attention to the pot holes location and have it in memorized in my head. When I drive in unfamiliar locations, I always look way further ahead to anticipate any road hazard.

Especially with a lowered car, I even know what parking lot entrance and exit I should use. It is better to know the road and prevent all these disasters altogether lol.

Don't be too mad. Every car has it pros and cons. With a BMW, good luck with the more repair bills lol.
Old 05-12-15, 04:58 PM
RUCKER
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You all just need to bite the bullet on this one and let it go at this point. There's nothing you can do about it, and its obvious there's nothing they're going to do about it either, so there's no point dwelling on it or getting worked up over it anymore. They're sweeping it under the rug, simple as that.

Old customers are of no concern to them, because you've already cash out and they've already cashed in, they're more worried about the new customer and how they can get their money with the latest models.

Besides the roof issue is probably something that's already been ironed out on the 3is's, so it's likely a non issue with the nextgen. So all they can really do is turn the page on the 2is and start the next chapter. Hate to say it but you all were their guinea pigs in the 2is experiment and you all were poisoned, but atleast you have the satisfaction of knowing you created a better car for the next generation of owners by pointing out existing problems in its predecessor.

I'm sure they learned a lot and are addressing those issues so they don't run into this potential problem with the next generation of is owners.
Old 05-12-15, 05:48 PM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

RUCKER - please exit this thread
Old 05-12-15, 08:48 PM
dyongg
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by FSportIS
That is why I always pay attention to the pot holes location and have it in memorized in my head. When I drive in unfamiliar locations, I always look way further ahead to anticipate any road hazard.

Especially with a lowered car, I even know what parking lot entrance and exit I should use. It is better to know the road and prevent all these disasters altogether lol.

Don't be too mad. Every car has it pros and cons. With a BMW, good luck with the more repair bills lol.
yes, this is exactly what people should be doing! low and slow
plus, people should always keep in mind where potholes are regardless of what car you are in since they're never good! when I drive in new areas, I always take my time and take mental notes for the future.
I have babied my car for about 5 years and have not had this issue.

Last edited by DaveGS4; 05-13-15 at 04:31 AM. Reason: Ignored moderator request - personal commentary
Old 05-12-15, 09:07 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Finally, after so much crap to sift through to get info related to topic.

Class action suit, success not likely because big numbers (as relatively common problem) aren't there. Examples of higher volume and more prevalent problems resulting in class action settlements include Toyota engines w/oil sludging, Porsche IMS failures, Honda CVT failures.
Old 05-13-15, 02:54 PM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by chikoo
Omg. I have the same issue. First observed it when at 45000miles when left front tire was wearing on inner side too much. Took it to Sewell complaining and they said everything is fine. I ended up putting new shocks and that helped. But the hood was not lined up and just thought it was a long hood and could be misaligned. NOT. Now my car has 111,000 miles and 7 years
More info: My panel gaps have no issues, and no dents in the roof. Lights are also fine. So is the hood not lining up a true indication of the issue?
Old 05-13-15, 04:01 PM
Gville350

^It quite possibly can. Along with that, after my incident, portions of the black plastic engine cover along the fender started to rub up against the hood. Obviously it shouldn't do that if property installed, and mine is. The opposite side without any damage doesn't have any rubbing marks.
Old 05-13-15, 04:05 PM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real

Received 584 Likes on 393 Posts

What I want to know, who is the original owner of their car, can confirm they've never had an accident on the car, and can confirm they have a frame out of alignment. If you aren't the original owner of your car and you've never had an accident, it's impossible to know for sure what happened before you owned the car.

Maybe something happened to the car before that actually damaged the frame, then you hit a pothole, now they check the frame and oh, it's bent.

Simply having your hood out of alignment or dents in your hood isn't really an indication that the frame is bent in my opinion.

Jeff
Old 05-13-15, 04:10 PM
Gville350

^Except for the fact that before I hit my pothole my car's panels were 100% factory and without a roof dent, and immediately after arriving at my destination I examined my car and noticed the dent AND ill-fitting passenger side fender.

I know that not everyone's situation was the same as mine, but the reason I created the original "dent in my roof thread" was to see if I wasn't the only one out there; obviously I wasn't.
Old 05-13-15, 04:28 PM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real

Received 584 Likes on 393 Posts

Is your frame bent?

Jeff
Old 05-13-15, 04:36 PM
Gville350

^No, and both Lexus and a professional body shop confirmed. Lexus told me back in '11 when this all happened that they have no reports of such things happening and they don't know what to tell me. Basically I'm SOL.

Had the Lexus alignment tech do an alignment on the car, and he said he had to do a minor tweak to the cross member and some other stuff; but my alignment was good from there. I showed him the roof dent and fender-to-hood gap and mentioned my initial thought about the shock tower being now raised on that side, and he said I was probably right.
Old 05-13-15, 09:05 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

He said, "Probably". No comment.

Quick Reply: Wife drove over a small pothole and the damage was $10,153. Lexus IS 250 please look