IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Wife drove over a small pothole and the damage was $10,153. Lexus IS 250 please look

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-15, 12:22 PM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by blowndave
sewell lexus fixed it. i am waiting to hear back from corporate.
Fixed it under insurance or warranty?
Old 05-05-15, 12:25 PM
allgoodman
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeFoxx
That's crazy ... knocking on wood cause CA has potholes that have been around longer than some of the members here including myself. They are damn near historical landmarks. If we could only Google map the payouts per pothole.

Sadly it is a chargeable point but in this case well worth taking the hit.
For sure, I'm especially wary driving in West LA with potholes the size of meteors. Sometimes, they are almost impossible to avoid.
Old 05-05-15, 12:47 PM
huyz13
Rookie

wow, is this something that the NTSB can issue a recall or fix for?
Old 05-05-15, 02:19 PM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real

Received 584 Likes on 393 Posts

There are a lot of dimensions that can/should be checked before thinking you have any sort of frame damage. I've seen many cars with sunroofs have dents near/around the sunroof, it is not isolated to the ISx50, though still a tad strange. The hood to fender clearance cannot be trusted as a method to tell if anything is bent. The hood is a movable part with adjustment.

Have actual frame dimensions checked before thinking your car is about to be a write off due to a dent in the roof!

Jeff
Old 05-05-15, 02:26 PM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

^ in my case, the rubber adjustment bushing under the hood on the drivers side is all the way up, and yet the hood is showing down by 3-4mm compared to the fender
Old 05-05-15, 03:55 PM
blowndave
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by chikoo
^ in my case, the rubber adjustment bushing under the hood on the drivers side is all the way up, and yet the hood is showing down by 3-4mm compared to the fender
same here. that is when we looked closer and the car was put on a frame machine. that is when we got the bad news...
Old 05-05-15, 03:57 PM
blowndave
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by chikoo
Fixed it under insurance or warranty?

insurance fixed it. we are in the process of approaching lexus, a case is currently open, for possible reimbursement of the deductible and possible diminished value.

i normally don't do things like this but after all we found during our research, it is a defect. plain and simple
Old 05-05-15, 04:01 PM
blowndave
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by huyz13
wow, is this something that the NTSB can issue a recall or fix for?
that is why i am posting this here and i pm'ed lexus customer care and gave them the url to this thread. they know they have a problem and i would like to see them do the right thing and make this defect right, ie warranty extensions for structure etc...

you see how long they tried to hide the unintended acceleration problem until it bit them in the butt. hopefully they learned their lesson and will do the right thing.

I WILL PURCHASE A BRAND NEW LEXUS VEHICLE, IN THE FUTURE, IF THEY WILL STAND BEHIND THEIR PRODUCT!
Old 05-05-15, 04:08 PM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

Glad I created that "dent in my roof" thread! I initially noticed my roof dent and fender-to-hood displacement immediately after hitting a major pothole with the passenger side front wheel. Checked out the wheel and tire, all looked fine; but in the end, the tire had to be replaced due it developing a "bubble" causing a pulsation-type feedback in my steering wheel. I've always attributed the dent and misalignment to the pothole, but I've moved on. In time I plan to get a PDR pro to remove the dent near my driver's side. I've played with the fender alignment, but no matter what I do it cannot adjust any lower. I've said to myself that it had to deal with the shock tower; so thanks for that confirmation.

Keep us updated on what Lexus has to say!
Old 05-05-15, 04:15 PM
5nX37
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes please keep all of us updated. In the meantime, mine doesn't show any dents or misalignments but is this something to be worried about if it does happen Ie; loss of control, car splitting apart, etc. I wish I had known about this before purchasing my 2IS a yr ago.
Old 05-05-15, 04:20 PM
blowndave
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Gville350
Glad I created that "dent in my roof" thread! I initially noticed my roof dent and fender-to-hood displacement immediately after hitting a major pothole with the passenger side front wheel. Checked out the wheel and tire, all looked fine; but in the end, the tire had to be replaced due it developing a "bubble" causing a pulsation-type feedback in my steering wheel. I've always attributed the dent and misalignment to the pothole, but I've moved on. In time I plan to get a PDR pro to remove the dent near my driver's side. I've played with the fender alignment, but no matter what I do it cannot adjust any lower. I've said to myself that it had to deal with the shock tower; so thanks for that confirmation.

Keep us updated on what Lexus has to say!
same here, the tower was raised 3 mm...

i saw your thread and thank you for bringing this to light. i am glad i was able to fill in the rest of the pieces
Old 05-05-15, 04:22 PM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

^^No, nothing to that extent. Just like hitting any other pothole...you say "oh ****", and move on. Just have to be one of the unlucky to get such "extensive" damage I guess.
Old 05-05-15, 04:25 PM
Keo
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

here in California. Our potholes breaks replica wheels and bends authentic wheels to pieces. Stated and Quoted by all Californians =X
Old 05-05-15, 04:26 PM
blowndave
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Gville350
^^No, nothing to that extent. Just like hitting any other pothole...you say "oh ****", and move on. Just have to be one of the unlucky to get such "extensive" damage I guess.
to fix the shock tower was almost $4k of the repair as the whole body gets tweaked. i'll post a picture of the bill later when i get home.

seriously, the dents and tower will total some of these cars. her tower bent bad enough it snapped the mounts for the headlights, those were $2400 by themselves
Old 05-05-15, 04:31 PM
blowndave
Driver School Candidate

i really appreciate no one flaming me in this thread my whole goal is to let everyone no that the mystery on the shock towers and dents is solved. hopefully lexus will make things right with these people. thank you everyone for your replies and i will keep everyone posted on what happens!

Quick Reply: Wife drove over a small pothole and the damage was $10,153. Lexus IS 250 please look