IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Axle-back Exhaust Leak?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-15, 11:15 PM
smokyis350
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Axle-back Exhaust Leak?

I went to the National Forest last week. It consisted of some minor off roading. When I came back, I noticed that I have black residue around the gaskets of the axle-back. Looks like it might require new gaskets but they look like they are welded on. How do I fix this?

The first picture is the right side of the axle back and the following one is the left side.
Attached Thumbnails Axle-back Exhaust Leak?-2015-04-17-17.15.14.jpg   Axle-back Exhaust Leak?-2015-04-17-17.15.18.jpg  
Old 04-18-15, 01:52 PM
Sceanzo
Pit Crew

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Mine has the same issue. Right side and all. I can't hear any hissing out of it with a stethoscope. So I assume its very tiny to the point of non bothersome
Old 04-18-15, 02:41 PM
Sffd103
Fire Slayer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

First off...you're brace to go off roading. Is that an axle back exhaust? IF it is, shouldn't it be a bolt on? If you remove the bolts you can access the gaskets. Sometimes the gaskets stick on after a while though. You can try tightening the bolts also. If not you can contact the exhaust manufacturer (if in fact it's a bolt on axle back exhaust).
Old 04-18-15, 04:56 PM
Keo
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

look's like an F-Sport Exhaust. I believe from what I heard. F-Sport 2IS (engrave or none) Exhaust is Packed on one side and the other is a Empty pack for a Straight Pipe. Its how the design is. Reason why it sounds good. Probably that's why its leaking from one? if u knock your knuckle to the muffler box you'll notice.
Old 04-19-15, 12:39 PM
smokyis350
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Sceanzo
Mine has the same issue. Right side and all. I can't hear any hissing out of it with a stethoscope. So I assume its very tiny to the point of non bothersome
Maybe this is a common issue with axle back on the 2IS?

Originally Posted by Sffd103
First off...you're brace to go off roading. Is that an axle back exhaust? IF it is, shouldn't it be a bolt on? If you remove the bolts you can access the gaskets. Sometimes the gaskets stick on after a while though. You can try tightening the bolts also. If not you can contact the exhaust manufacturer (if in fact it's a bolt on axle back exhaust).
It was only like a few hundred yards of off roading. I thought it would be no biggie but I was scraping my exhaust, subframe every few seconds.

I can remove the gaskets? I thought they were welded on. If that's the case I can just remove it and replace it with new ones.

Originally Posted by Keo
look's like an F-Sport Exhaust. I believe from what I heard. F-Sport 2IS (engrave or none) Exhaust is Packed on one side and the other is a Empty pack for a Straight Pipe. Its how the design is. Reason why it sounds good. Probably that's why its leaking from one? if u knock your knuckle to the muffler box you'll notice.
Yep. F-sport. Does your F-sport have this same issue? Black gunk coming out of the gasket.
Old 04-19-15, 02:21 PM
Keo
Pole Position

Originally Posted by smokyis350

It was only like a few hundred yards of off roading. I thought it would be no biggie but I was scraping my exhaust, subframe every few seconds.

I can remove the gaskets? I thought they were welded on. If that's the case I can just remove it and replace it with new ones.

axle-back exhaust should be all "Bolt On" Mod. The Gasket is always in between the pipes to prevent any leaks. Its uncommon to weld those things together.

Yep. F-sport. Does your F-sport have this same issue? Black gunk coming out of the gasket.
I don't have an F-Sport. I'm waiting to get myself a Joe-Z exhaust because it's a true dual and fits the price range. I did however had an M2 Exhaust and the right gasket wasn't black like that.

I say you get your butt down there and go check to see if there any leaks or gaps. When I install my exhaust I would start and go under and do an inspection. try to feel if there any air or water leaks.
Old 04-19-15, 03:32 PM
pheonix72
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by smokyis350

I have Lexus HKS exhaust and they bolted together so I am pretty the F-sport has similar design. Just need to put new gaskets and you should be good to go.
Old 04-19-15, 09:29 PM
smokyis350
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by pheonix72
I have Lexus HKS exhaust and they bolted together so I am pretty the F-sport has similar design. Just need to put new gaskets and you should be good to go.
This is not my photo but I'm assuming this is the same problem with my exhaust. I'm assuming the red part is busted. How do I replace that part since it is welded to the axle back? The blue part is the gasket that you guys are suggesting I replace, I'm assuming?

Old 04-19-15, 09:48 PM
pheonix72
Lead Lap

Nope! Neither one of those are the gasket. The gasket is actually in between those brackets. I remembered replaced them when I purchased the used HKS. I think they were a bit pricey at about $27; too bad Sewell took their website down so I could not look it up. You should contact them or dealer for more info.
Old 04-20-15, 04:29 PM
Keo
Pole Position

Your getting it all flip around.
The Red is the Gasket that's in between the pipe's
The Blue is the Exhaust Pipe with Bolt On. You can tighten or loosen the bolts at that area.
The picture your showing is just a scrape on the pipe round tip's
Old 04-20-15, 04:54 PM
pheonix72
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Keo
Your getting it all flip around.
The Red is the Gasket that's in between the pipe's
The Blue is the Exhaust Pipe with Bolt On. You can tighten or loosen the bolts at that area.
The picture your showing is just a scrape on the pipe round tip's
Old 04-20-15, 06:12 PM
Sceanzo
Pit Crew

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

There is an F-sport hardware kit on EBay right now for $100. It contains two gaskets and all the bolts