IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

My opinion on the G37

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-15, 02:15 PM
Tro209
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default My opinion on the G37

So I just recently went to Carmax to have my car appraised (I like to know what my car is valued at) and while I was there I had the opportunity to sit in a 2010 G37 Sedan. Now for some strange reason I felt compelled to write about how I felt sitting in the car. Because of course being an IS owner I couldn't help my curiosity with what the Nissan "rivals" had lol.

Anyway I'll make this short.

The materials used in the IS are better, from the leather used for the doors and seats to even the plastic used in the car for the dashboard and what not.

The G37 definetly has way more room than the my Is350. I could easily sit in the back and be in a comfortable in which my knees don't hit the back of the seat. (I'm 6'0)

Now something I noticed that kinda bothered me about the G37 is the details. For one I noticed that the way the buttons are placed on the navigation seem like they're further away from the driver which bothers me. I also noticed the push start button is made out of a cheaper material than the IS, and also one of the more important things to me, the steering wheel is...... well not to be rude but it's kinda ugly :/

I also noticed the back seat center console does not open up, and that the sunroof is placed further back than it is on the IS. I figured it's so that the passengers can feel the air better, but for me personally, I'm usually riding solo or with just one other so that kinda bothers me. And the front seats don't have a ventilation option.

Anyway as for the driving experience the car definetly feels "sportier " as in there is more feedback in the wheel. But acceleration wise the car felt slower than my IS350. Now I can say I do aprreciate from a drivers perspective the extra feedback but as most of us know there is a way to stiffen our wheel by way of an ISF steering module.

Now exhaust wise, the G37 sounds sporty. Although not as aggressive as a G35 coupe I tested a while back. However compared to a stock is350 it's no comparison and the G wins hands down. But compared to my is350 with resonator delete and the intake box from the f sport intake I personally think mine sounds more aggressive than even a G35

So that's my take. I wasn't gonna write this after all but for some odd reason I just felt maybe this could help someone . Let me know what you guys think about the G's compared to our IS's.
Old 04-17-15, 05:58 PM
Sffd103
Fire Slayer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

So what's your car valued at? LOL
Old 04-17-15, 10:15 PM
Keo
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Everyone I talked to, that used to own or knows someone who owns a G, admits that Lexus IS is better. No Doubt. Go to their forum (I creep around). They talk about us (IS 350) can be really fast and don't underestimate.

Yes a G or Z does sounds appealing in stock due to there engine system built by Nissan, but with aftermarket exhaust, it will surpass your expectation.
Old 04-17-15, 10:24 PM
604GSE21
Instructor

Received 324 Likes on 140 Posts

My friend's sister owns a G35 AWD S and she complains that she gets really bad mpg and the interior plastics are cheap... other than that no offenese to any G fans, the main reason i don't like the G35/G37 because it is such a douchebag car...
Old 04-18-15, 01:47 AM
Boomin
Racer

Received 399 Likes on 242 Posts

I had g37s coupe and my wife g37 sedan, squeaky crap and didnt hold its value
Old 04-18-15, 02:15 AM
vxlyf3
Rookie

RC350 Fsport or Q60 IPL, which one do you guys favor for 5+ years down the road?
Old 04-18-15, 08:57 AM
Tro209
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by vxlyf3
RC350 Fsport or Q60 IPL, which one do you guys favor for 5+ years down the road?
Hmm..... me personally, am not a fan of the new RC styling. Mainly due to how there seems to be kind of an over bite on the grill. I'd honestly rather get a 3is.
Old 04-18-15, 08:58 AM
Tro209
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Sffd103
So what's your car valued at? LOL
Ha! Not enough for me to want to get rid of it lol . Not that I ever want to get rid of it to be honest, I love my car!!!
Old 04-18-15, 10:49 AM
Tro209
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Keo
Everyone I talked to, that used to own or knows someone who owns a G, admits that Lexus IS is better. No Doubt. Go to their forum (I creep around). They talk about us (IS 350) can be really fast and don't underestimate.

Yes a G or Z does sounds appealing in stock due to there engine system built by Nissan, but with aftermarket exhaust, it will surpass your expectation.
True, but I still gotta admit that our cars sound pretty sweet with the right setup

AND definitely don't take us (is350) lightly. I had some d bag in a red SRT4 revving and spooling his turbo like crazy at me to get my attention ( this was right after leaving Carmax lol) So I do a little fly by to get his attention. He bites

So now we're at the light (I have one passenger, he's by himself) and he has this smirk on his face while spooling his turbo again just looking at me laughing. So, light turns green and we both gun it. I had about half my car on him through first, then my whole car by second, and then thru third a was a car ahead. He then gave up after that lol. Afterwards he didn't bother catching up for a re-run even though I had significantly slowed down for him. The more I slowed the more he slowed lol. He ended up just pulling into a 99 cent store parking lot

Last edited by Tro209; 04-18-15 at 11:58 AM.
Old 04-18-15, 05:05 PM
Keo
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Tro209
True, but I still gotta admit that our cars sound pretty sweet with the right setup

AND definitely don't take us (is350) lightly. I had some d bag in a red SRT4 revving and spooling his turbo like crazy at me to get my attention ( this was right after leaving Carmax lol) So I do a little fly by to get his attention. He bites

So now we're at the light (I have one passenger, he's by himself) and he has this smirk on his face while spooling his turbo again just looking at me laughing. So, light turns green and we both gun it. I had about half my car on him through first, then my whole car by second, and then thru third a was a car ahead. He then gave up after that lol. Afterwards he didn't bother catching up for a re-run even though I had significantly slowed down for him. The more I slowed the more he slowed lol. He ended up just pulling into a 99 cent store parking lot
The SRT should learn his lesson lol. I just love hearing road story's. Although street racing is not a good idea to begin with, But we all have our fair share of illegal actions. I've race my co-worker Wald is350 on the way to work on rare occasions if we happen to meet.
Old 04-18-15, 09:38 PM
Nixcision
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I'm not trying to sound like a Lexus fanboy just because I'm an owner and a forum member, but in all real scenarios and the "feels" mentioned above, it seems that with Lexus, value is held longer and build quality overall is better.
The exhaust note of the G35 is great, but if you really want sound on your IS, grab an intake and an exhaust and/or headers ( ) and be set.
Some people only equate Lexus with luxury (I agree, but Lexus is more than that), but in reality, they can be very sporty and even surpass things like the infinity... just check out the build threads!
Old 04-19-15, 05:29 PM
Tro209
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Nixcision
I'm not trying to sound like a Lexus fanboy just because I'm an owner and a forum member, but in all real scenarios and the "feels" mentioned above, it seems that with Lexus, value is held longer and build quality overall is better.
The exhaust note of the G35 is great, but if you really want sound on your IS, grab an intake and an exhaust and/or headers ( ) and be set.
Some people only equate Lexus with luxury (I agree, but Lexus is more than that), but in reality, they can be very sporty and even surpass things like the infinity... just check out the build threads!
Yeah definitely. When I had told my brother I was gonna buy an IS350 instead of an STI he thought I was crazy lol. A car isnt always about just being fast, we just happen to have it as a bonus
Old 04-19-15, 05:31 PM
Tro209
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Keo
The SRT should learn his lesson lol. I just love hearing road story's. Although street racing is not a good idea to begin with, But we all have our fair share of illegal actions. I've race my co-worker Wald is350 on the way to work on rare occasions if we happen to meet.
Yeah I love kill stories too, so I had to post mine lol. I'm honestly suprised I beat him to be honest. From the way his car sounded and how cocky he was I had honestly thought he would have been more of a challenge
Old 04-19-15, 07:03 PM
echelon
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I owned an '06 G35x and it definitely was not as refined as my current '11 IS350 awd. Yes there's 5 years difference but the generation was the same, so an '06 IS350 would be pretty much the same car. The AWD system in the Lexus is head and shoulders better than the Infiniti. The G35 was definitely a RWD car that had the option to be AWD. I could spin a donut in that car without turning any nanny's off. The shifts were stiff ALL the time, it got horrible MPG (21mpg over 21K miles) and the inside just wasn't as comfortable. It definitely was fast but the IS350 is must faster and can be driven like a comfortable Lexus where the G35x couldn't really be driven where it felt like a luxury car.