IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Bought a Used 2008 IS 350

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-15, 05:50 PM
lexusben
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Bought a Used 2008 IS 350

Hello All - I just bought a used 2008 IS 350. It has a 72,000 miles, black exterior, tan interior, with most of the available options (Luxury Package, Navigation, Mark Levinson audio). I came from a 1998 GS 400 which I traded in for $2500. I have only owned this car for a day now but I have already driven about 400 miles in it since I bought it from another state. I have enjoyed it a lot so far, although I do miss the low end torque that my GS 400 had. I have a few questions for the community here.

My car was involved in an accident that damaged the left fender. The fender was repaired, but it looks like paint was chipped off near the front edges and it is started to rust. How would you guys handle this? Clean up the rust and apply touch up? Get the full fender repainted?

Another problem is that the front left headlight has condensation. I am guessing the accident may have damaged the seal. Would you guys recommend that I try to reseal the headlight as a DIY using an oven and some type of glue, or do you think a body shop would be able to do this pretty easily?

Other than the fender and the headlight there are no major problems but the car does have minor scratches on the body and spider webbing. Do you think it would be best to have this fixed at a collision shop, or should I take it to a detailer?

Thanks to all, I'll get some pictures up as soon as possible. For now, here is the link to the car on the dealers site:
http://indysunlimitedmotors.com/2008...0/Details.aspx
Old 04-12-15, 05:55 PM
pheonix72
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Congrats on the new ride. I hope you didn't pay the asking price with those issues.
I think you need to have the fender respray; not seeing the actual damage will be hard to tell but touch uppaint will look really bad.
You could search around and see if you could pick up a used headlight; they shown up in the classified section all the time.
Old 04-13-15, 06:10 AM
lexusben
Lead Lap

Thanks for the reply! I paid $1000 less than the asking price. I am going to take my car to a body shop and see how they estimate everything out. I'm not sure how expensive used headlights run for, but I would hate to buy a new one when mine is in relatively good condition aside from the condensation.
Old 04-13-15, 08:13 AM
nfordhk
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congrats on the purchase. I would try to fix the headlight first. If that doesn't work then buy a new one.

Originally Posted by pheonix72
Congrats on the new ride. I hope you didn't pay the asking price with those issues.
I think you need to have the fender respray; not seeing the actual damage will be hard to tell but touch uppaint will look really bad.
You could search around and see if you could pick up a used headlight; they shown up in the classified section all the time.
I'm sure the issues were factored in.
Old 04-13-15, 10:58 AM
lexusben
Lead Lap

Other then having these things repaired, do you guys have any suggestions for maintenance that I should look in to? With my GS 400 90k was the big maintenance interval since it included the timing belt, thermostat and water pump.
Old 04-13-15, 11:40 AM
redspencer
OG Member

Received 529 Likes on 314 Posts

For the major preventative maintenance items, check the records to see if the spark plugs have been changed at the 60,000 mile mark. The water pump will eventually need to be replaced if you notice pink crust forming around the area. The alternator might be another part to replace within a few years. Both my alternator and water pump were replaced around the 8 year mark of owning my IS350.

Other than those items, simply keep an eye out on wear limits of your brake pads/rotors/tires and change your fluids/filters at their typical scheduled intervals.
Old 04-15-15, 09:04 AM
lexusben
Lead Lap

Thanks for the advice, guys. The only other things I have noticed are:

1) I can hear wind noise coming from the windshield once I go about 70 mph and up.
2) If I have the side mirror adjuster in the center, the mirrors do not level down when I put the car in reverse. If I put the slider to the left or right, like I would if I wanted to change either of the mirrors' angles, the function works properly.

Do you guys know anything about these issues?
Old 04-15-15, 09:07 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Originally Posted by lexusben
2) If I have the side mirror adjuster in the center, the mirrors do not level down when I put the car in reverse. If I put the slider to left or right, like I would if I wanted to change either of the mirrors' angles, the function works properly.
This is per design. The way to activate the feature to have the mirrors dip when the car is in reverse is by leaving the selector in either Left or Right.
Old 04-15-15, 09:21 AM
pheonix72
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

That is normal to have wind noise at higher speed. You could reduce the noise by close the sliding headliner.
You could also change the angle of the side mirrors during reverse. I have my passenger side down more so i could see the rear wheel for parallel parking while the driver side slightly up and out so i could see traffic.