IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

carbon build up recall

Old 04-04-15, 06:16 PM
yandeltx
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default carbon build up recall

My daughter has a 2008 IS250 AWD with 79K miles. She is having intermittent idling issues. This happens once or twice a week while sitting at a stop light. She has had the car for 3 yrs, it had like 45k on it when she bought it. My question is, is this something that could be a bi-product of the carbon recall? I just ran across this recall today while spending time on this forum. Evidently the carbon issue is somewhat widespread since Lexus came out with a recall. Anyway, can anyone give me any advice on how and when I should start worrying about the recall? How accommodating is Lexus when it comes to the recall.
Old 04-04-15, 07:01 PM
Kasim
Pit Crew

start having the same issues,
i posted Here

May find something.
Old 04-28-15, 02:37 PM
Tajai7
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I'd start worrying about this now before it stalls out completely and she's in rush hour traffic or at a busy intersection. Also, note that I think Lexus will only cover this issue under the power train warranty.

I'd get it into the dealership now and see if they can pull any diagnostic error reports of the cylinder misfires. If they can, then you'll likely get some new pistons and valve rings. If not, they'll just do a top engine clean.

If you're outside of warranty, I'd look into Walnut Blasting too as an option if any local shops offer it. It's a pretty new process that is not offered by Lexus but works great at cleaning out the intake valves.

Last edited by Tajai7; 04-28-15 at 03:08 PM.
Old 04-28-15, 02:49 PM
tomiv9
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It is not a recall, it is TSB. So the dealer has to verify the symptons before they will perform it. There is a 9 year/unlimited miles timeframe to get the TSB done though, so if your close you should bring it in sooner then later. Sometimes it takes a couple of visits before the dealer can verify it.
Old 04-28-15, 07:34 PM
nosurprise
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 61 Posts

What kind of idling issues is she having? Since it's not a recall (Lexus is calling it a Customer Support Program CSP basically extending the warranty on this particular issue for 9 years from the in-service date), the dealership will have to verify there is a problem before they will fix the problem. With a safety recall, Lexus will replace the parts whether the symptoms are present or not.
Old 04-29-15, 06:13 AM
Tanoshii
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, the Toyota Yaris has a "Field Action" (new name for our TSB fixes lol) similar to this. If there are any misfire codes, it says to have the head removed and a full cleaning / valve job done. But for people out of the coverage period, we've been trying the Toyota injector / fuel system cleaning service and have been having great results so far. Haven't tried on an IS-X50 yet though.

Do you have a DTC set? (engine light). Doesn't look like it is a requirement to have the service done from Lexus though because it says "one or more of the following conditions" on E-TAS.

From E-TAS Lexus, if you want to see if your car qualifies:

Some 2006 – 2010 model year IS250 vehicles may exhibit one or more of the following
conditions:
 MIL “ON” DTC P0300, P0301, P0302, P0303, P0304, P0305, and/or P0306.
 Runs rough after coming to a stop with the engine at operating temperature.
 Runs rough with engine misfires present after a cold soak startup.

APPLICABILITY:
YEAR(S) MODEL(S) ADDITIONAL INFORMATION
2006-2010 IS250
PRODUCTION CHANGE INFORMATION:
This TSB applies to vehicles produced BEFORE the Production Change Effective VIN shown below.
MODEL PLANT DRIVETRAIN PRODUCTION CHANGE EFFECTIVE VIN
Tahara 2WD JTHBF5C2#A5111618
4WD JTHCF5C2#A5038287
2WD JTHBF5C2#A2095102
IS250
TMK
4WD JTHCF5C2#A2032832

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Basically, what's being done is roughly the same it seems though :3
The service for the issue is get the engine to operating temp, removing the spark plugs, disconnecting the starter and removing the intake air surge tank. Then, pouring 1oz of upper engine / fuel injector cleaner down the spark plug tubes, covering with rags, jumping the starter relay and cranking it for 5 seconds. Then, let the stuff soak for an hour.

Then... use a generic lubricant in the tubes, rotate the crank pulley clockwise two turns to clear out the lubrication, then crank again for 5 seconds and wait another hour.

Then... reassemble, drain and refill oil. After that, start and immediately test drive for a min of 15 minutes.

Finally, drain oil, refill again and give it a new filter... and check for codes :3
Old 05-26-15, 09:37 AM
Jamier
Driver School Candidate

Smile Misfire Recall

Originally Posted by yandeltx
My daughter has a 2008 IS250 AWD with 79K miles. She is having intermittent idling issues. This happens once or twice a week while sitting at a stop light. She has had the car for 3 yrs, it had like 45k on it when she bought it. My question is, is this something that could be a bi-product of the carbon recall? I just ran across this recall today while spending time on this forum. Evidently the carbon issue is somewhat widespread since Lexus came out with a recall. Anyway, can anyone give me any advice on how and when I should start worrying about the recall? How accommodating is Lexus when it comes to the recall.
Hi Yandel
I did have the same problem, received the letter of a carbon build up, creating a misfire to my IS250 2008 ( 88K)
I took it to Lexus, they give me a loaner because the repair may take 2 to 3 day, well it took 7 days !
The adviser told me that they will change, Gaskets, and O rings, as well as valves and clean up the entire engine due to the carbon build up

Lexus takes the "opportunity " to list a bunch of "recommendations" your car needs because the mileage

SUGGESTION:

At this time you have two alternatives :

1) Change whatever they are "suggesting" because once they get the engine down the can replace spark plugs, timing belt, strut or any other part the consider "necessary " to replace without charging for additional labor
REASON:
The adviser said, that because the engine is down, Lexus would not charge additionally for labor
2) Get the quote and shop around

Best of ouch for you and your daughter
Jamier

Last edited by Jamier; 05-26-15 at 09:42 AM.
Old 05-26-15, 10:45 AM
MWIS350
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

When she get check engine light, intermittent idle at stop light. Go straight to dealer to get test, and do not turn off engine. That is what dealer told me. They will not do anything if no check engine light. When turn off car enigine light will disappear.