IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Cabin Fuses for Dash Cam Hard Wire

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-15, 12:36 PM
TechnoMack
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cabin Fuses for Dash Cam Hard Wire

I'm going to hard wire a dash cam into my 2006 IS 250 AWD. In order to do so, I need an available ground screw, along with both an ignition-switched circuit, and an always-on circuit for parking monitor mode.

There are fuse boxes on both the driver and passenger side.

Here are my driver's side options:

Initial Questions:

1. I plan on using a couple of add-a-circuit products like these:
Amazon Amazon
Are my fuses Mini APM/ATM like this adapter, or are they something weird like low-profile or micro?

2. It looks like there's a silver bolt a few inches away from this fuse box, holding the plastic assembly that holds it. Is that an appropriate ground?

3. I plan to use 2A fuses in the add-a-fuses to protect my vehicle's wiring from my dash cam. Which would be the best always-on, and ignition-switched fuses to tap? Could I use two of the five vacant slots in that fuse box? If so, does anyone know which are switched and which aren't?

Thanks in advance to the IS Community for your help.
Old 04-01-15, 10:00 PM
iNfectious
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's the correct fuse tap but get the one shipped directly by funbient (cheaper by a dollar). Our fuses are mini low profile. I used the exact bolt for ground that is covered by the black plastic.

On the cover, top left vacant slot is where I get the ignition-switched power from. Don't remember if there's a always-on vacant slot. Might have to get under there with a multimeter.
Old 04-01-15, 10:09 PM
smokyis350
Lexus Champion

I hardwired my dashcam to the rear view mirror. No need to run the wires to the fuse box.
Old 04-02-15, 06:37 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

I think I wired mine to ECU-IG or LH-IG. I tested to see which one powered on the dash cam when the ignition was on then stuck with that one

you have to be careful with wiring from the rear view mirror which has 12 volts, some dash cameras run on USB power which is 5V
Old 04-02-15, 06:42 AM
TechnoMack
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by iNfectious
That's the correct fuse tap but get the one shipped directly by funbient (cheaper by a dollar). Our fuses are mini low profile. I used the exact bolt for ground that is covered by the black plastic.

On the cover, top left vacant slot is where I get the ignition-switched power from. Don't remember if there's a always-on vacant slot. Might have to get under there with a multimeter.
Thanks for the fast reply. So, you're saying our cars' fuses are mini low profile, but the mini (non-low-profile) adapter will still work? Hopefully the cover closes cleanly over them.

I'm not sure which ground screw you're referring to, but will dig around under there and look.

Thanks again iNfectious!
Old 04-02-15, 06:50 AM
TechnoMack
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
I think I wired mine to ECU-IG or LH-IG. I tested to see which one powered on the dash cam when the ignition was on then stuck with that one

you have to be careful with wiring from the rear view mirror which has 12 volts, some dash cameras run on USB power which is 5V
smokyis350: I've considered tapping the rear view mirror, but decided against it since it only gives me the ignition-switched circuit. I need an additional always-on circuit to support monitoring while parked. The other potential, slight risk to that, is adding additional load to the mirror circuit. I'm sure it's not that big of deal, but it's safer to run a new circuit to add new devices.

4TehNguyen: Thanks for the ECU-IG / LH-IG suggestions for the always-on circuit. Now I just need to find an always-on to tap. For what it's worth, my Panorama G is 12V so it technically would be possible to tap the mirror, but I'm not going to for reasons explained to smokyis350 above.
Old 04-02-15, 10:14 AM
iNfectious
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can use non low-profile. It just sticks out.

The cover will not work if you use the fuse tap too. I left my cover off.
Old 04-02-15, 10:49 AM
smokyis350
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by TechnoMack
smokyis350: I've considered tapping the rear view mirror, but decided against it since it only gives me the ignition-switched circuit. I need an additional always-on circuit to support monitoring while parked. The other potential, slight risk to that, is adding additional load to the mirror circuit. I'm sure it's not that big of deal, but it's safer to run a new circuit to add new devices.

4TehNguyen: Thanks for the ECU-IG / LH-IG suggestions for the always-on circuit. Now I just need to find an always-on to tap. For what it's worth, my Panorama G is 12V so it technically would be possible to tap the mirror, but I'm not going to for reasons explained to smokyis350 above.
I was considering doing that but I thought it might drain the battery. Let me know how it goes for you. I may consider switching it up to always recording.