IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Road Magnets and wheel spacers... is it really all that bad??

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-15, 11:45 PM
Skathious
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Road Magnets and wheel spacers... is it really all that bad??

Let's remove a couple things from the equation for starters. I do not run my is250 hard. I drive mostly highway, and I drive like a calm old lady with the mentality of a race car driver. I'll overtake cars all day and have fun in traffic, yet I don't think I've ever brought the car to even 100mph. Why I said old lady? because I very rarely use my blinkers. Back to the questions.

Is it seriously that necessary to get a set of coilovers rather than lowering springs? I understand that coils do in fact last longer as the spring is made solely to fit on that specific shock absorber. And it's very hard to find a shock that perfectly matches a progressive lowering spring blah blah blah. but when we're talking about how lowering springs cause damage to stock struts, it's gotta take a really long time for that to happen right?

Now to the spacers. I've heard equally good and bad things about spacers. If the spacer is a hubcentric spacer and it's installed like it should be, is it really that risky? If you have companies making these spacers, it would make sense that their stuff is designed to actually last and not risk somebody's life.

Please remember, I am actually trying to learn some things here. Maybe there are a few things I'm not considering when making my decision on what to buy. And if your answer is "bruh just go with the coils thats a no brainer", that answers nothing.
Old 03-25-15, 12:01 AM
Nixcision
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Hey! I posted something a while back that I feel might push the points towards coilovers I hope they answer a question or two!
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sus...ml#post8923102
post #9
Old 03-25-15, 12:09 AM
Skathious
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Nixcision
Hey! I posted something a while back that I feel might push the points towards coilovers I hope they answer a question or two!
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sus...ml#post8923102
post #9
You're right, those are some pretty good points. When it comes to ride quality, would you say that EZ streets are smoother or more stiff? This is another thing im trying to take into consideration. Because of the fact that I dont tear my cars up anymore, I've been focused on having a comfortable ride more than anything.
Old 03-25-15, 01:04 AM
Nixcision
Lexus Test Driver

megans are 10k/8k (front/rear) which is at the softer, more comfy range in coils. The reason people tend to go up is for a sportier feel or to avoid bottoming out over dips (i.e. less shock travel). Megans are only offered in the one spring rate, but BC coils are offered in custom rates. Talk to Circuit motorsports (vendor on here) or Figs engineering (also a vendor on here) for the best setup tailored to your needs, etc.
Plus they have deals if youre from the CL forum!
Old 03-26-15, 12:58 PM
2ISTruong
Rookie

Originally Posted by Skathious
Let's remove a couple things from the equation for starters. I do not run my is250 hard. I drive mostly highway, and I drive like a calm old lady with the mentality of a race car driver. I'll overtake cars all day and have fun in traffic, yet I don't think I've ever brought the car to even 100mph. Why I said old lady? because I very rarely use my blinkers. Back to the questions.

Is it seriously that necessary to get a set of coilovers rather than lowering springs? I understand that coils do in fact last longer as the spring is made solely to fit on that specific shock absorber. And it's very hard to find a shock that perfectly matches a progressive lowering spring blah blah blah. but when we're talking about how lowering springs cause damage to stock struts, it's gotta take a really long time for that to happen right?

Now to the spacers. I've heard equally good and bad things about spacers. If the spacer is a hubcentric spacer and it's installed like it should be, is it really that risky? If you have companies making these spacers, it would make sense that their stuff is designed to actually last and not risk somebody's life.

Please remember, I am actually trying to learn some things here. Maybe there are a few things I'm not considering when making my decision on what to buy. And if your answer is "bruh just go with the coils thats a no brainer", that answers nothing.

I'm rocking BCR coils 12K/10K and i love them. With the 32way dampening it feels very smooth and comfortable. I have it set to more soft than stiff.

Got them for like $950.. so price is right for good quality.
Old 03-26-15, 04:48 PM
scott1256c
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How low do you want to go? Unless you want to slam it, I don't think you are going to need coils. I have heard that the less expensive coilovers (and that includes BCR) are going to have a lower life expectancy than a decent shock/spring combination. Or you will have to get them rebuilt every few years. Let's face it, unless you are running your car hard, stock springs/shocks should last 100k (but then under those conditions, coilovers should last longer also). Even if you lower it an inch or inch and a half, and use a slightly stiffer than stock spring, I don't think you're going to cause yourself any problems. How stiff are the road magnets? How do they compare to stock? From what I have read, most coilover co. are relatively comfortable with changing springs +/- 2k without revalving. I suspect stock shocks should be able to handle the change as well without dramatically altering the handling or comfort. If you go more than 1 1/2 inch lower, then you are probably not giving the shock enough travel in compression and may bottom out, but you will be compensating somewhat with the stiffer spring.

Can't help you with spacers. No desire to try them myself so I've never investigated.
Old 03-26-15, 05:23 PM
Skathious
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by scott1256c
How low do you want to go? Unless you want to slam it, I don't think you are going to need coils. I have heard that the less expensive coilovers (and that includes BCR) are going to have a lower life expectancy than a decent shock/spring combination. Or you will have to get them rebuilt every few years. Let's face it, unless you are running your car hard, stock springs/shocks should last 100k (but then under those conditions, coilovers should last longer also). Even if you lower it an inch or inch and a half, and use a slightly stiffer than stock spring, I don't think you're going to cause yourself any problems. How stiff are the road magnets? How do they compare to stock? From what I have read, most coilover co. are relatively comfortable with changing springs +/- 2k without revalving. I suspect stock shocks should be able to handle the change as well without dramatically altering the handling or comfort. If you go more than 1 1/2 inch lower, then you are probably not giving the shock enough travel in compression and may bottom out, but you will be compensating somewhat with the stiffer spring.

Can't help you with spacers. No desire to try them myself so I've never investigated.
The road magnets will drop the car 2" all around and from what I've read, they're pretty firm. Also, I should have included this in my initial question but it'll either be cheaper coilovers or better lowering springs with my budget. It seems like my best bet is to get a nice set of springs and replace my stock shocks with some konis later on down the road. A lot of people talk up coils just because theyre adjustable and the fact of the matter is that I wont be doing that. It would drive me nuts. "uh oh, my car is 2 cm too high, THE WHEELS ARE COMIN OFF! GET THE SPANNER WRENCH!". I'm more interested in just throwing on a 2" drop and being stuck with it honestly. And lets be honest, the cheaper route of the springs is just a little more appealing. haha
Old 03-26-15, 05:25 PM
Sffd103
Fire Slayer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

You'll ne fine with Road Magnets if you're not going to slam and just drive it. Way cheaper. Just upgrade shocks when the stock ones leak.

Spacers, a lot of people use them. There's one member that had something happen to his wheel/tire with spacers.
Old 03-26-15, 05:34 PM
Skathious
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Sffd103
You'll ne fine with Road Magnets if you're not going to slam and just drive it. Way cheaper. Just upgrade shocks when the stock ones leak.

Spacers, a lot of people use them. There's one member that had something happen to his wheel/tire with spacers.
I recall seeing that thread and I'm pretty sure it came out to be user error. If I get them installed and torqued correctly, I think I'll be pretty comfortable with it.
Old 03-26-15, 06:59 PM
Nixcision
Lexus Test Driver

as was said above, shocks will likely need to be replaced. a shock/spring combo is NOT necessarily longer lasting than a good set of coilovers.

Think of a coilover as a single unit. All the parts of the unit work as "one" (and some sets are even rebuildable so you don't need to go out and buy a whole setup again should something wear out).
With springs and shocks, they're not "made" for one another. They fit, for the is250, is350, etc. The problem is, is that the shocks cannot be valved/loaded correctly to match the progressive (changing) spring rates of most springs... again, one was not originally made for the other.
This can cause premature wear and tear issues with your shock body.
Old 03-26-15, 09:26 PM
Skathious
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Nixcision
as was said above, shocks will likely need to be replaced. a shock/spring combo is NOT necessarily longer lasting than a good set of coilovers.

Think of a coilover as a single unit. All the parts of the unit work as "one" (and some sets are even rebuildable so you don't need to go out and buy a whole setup again should something wear out).
With springs and shocks, they're not "made" for one another. They fit, for the is250, is350, etc. The problem is, is that the shocks cannot be valved/loaded correctly to match the progressive (changing) spring rates of most springs... again, one was not originally made for the other.
This can cause premature wear and tear issues with your shock body.
How much longer do you think a coilover will last (before it has to be revalved) than a spring shock combo? With good road conditions and no hard driving? I understand the whole progressive spring thing but I can't understand how they haven't found a solution to that problem.
Old 03-26-15, 09:36 PM
Nixcision
Lexus Test Driver

I'm generalizing quite a bit, but I'm going on the concept of the coilover as a single harmonious unit.

It honestly depends.... all cars handle roads differently and experience different conditions (driver and environment), and therefore transmit different forces on the suspension to some extent.... every car is somewhat unique is what I'm trying to say.

They'll both cost the same though-> springs + new shocks = coilovers, price wise.... So why not go with something that provides the opportunity for adjustability? *Go Coils Go*
Old 03-27-15, 04:58 AM
JDMToyotas
Lead Lap

I had wheel spacers installed on my car before the hubcentric kind it was being sold on eBay for my car. It was a inch spacer... I drove the wheels off that car and I never had a issue with the spacers. Hell I even painted them... To each their own just what your doing that's all.

Over tighting lugs will cause them to snap .
Old 03-27-15, 08:51 AM
subliime
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Skathious

I have a set of brand new in box BCR Coilovers that I could give you a deal on. I ended up going with H&R. I'm in San Diego (Vista).

I ran 15mm on a previous car for 50k miles with no problems.
Old 03-27-15, 11:51 AM
Skathious
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by subliime
I have a set of brand new in box BCR Coilovers that I could give you a deal on. I ended up going with H&R. I'm in San Diego (Vista).

I ran 15mm on a previous car for 50k miles with no problems.
Sent you a pm buddy. I'm also in San Diego.

Quick Reply: Road Magnets and wheel spacers... is it really all that bad??