IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

I hate cigarette lighters

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-15, 05:49 AM
LexusFan09
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I hate cigarette lighters

Hello Group. I have just recently became the owner of a 2006 Lexus IS 250. I love it. I bought it from a guy about a month ago. He put a new transmission in it because the old one went bad but the car runs like a charm. It really gets up to speed. But anyway. When I got the car none of the cigarette lights were working. So I did some research and I found out that I should try changing the fuse in the front passenger kick panel. So I changed the fuse. It was a 15 AMP. The front cigarette lighter was working but the middle console cigarette lighter was not working. Now all of a sudden the front cigarette lighter is not working again! Im not sure what this is. Does anyone have any other options for me. I really need a cigarette lighter as I have a smart phone and as you all may know smart phones go dead pretty fast and I travel a lot. I was thinking about taking the car to the dealership for this but I think that would be kind of a rip off. Thanks guys.
Old 03-23-15, 09:47 AM
tomiv9
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Could be it ur charger I had a crappy charger that didn't work well and kept blowing fuses. Got a new one and no probs.
Old 03-23-15, 10:22 AM
MikeFoxx
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by tomiv9
Could be it ur charger I had a crappy charger that didn't work well and kept blowing fuses. Got a new one and no probs.
This is also what i was going to say. Grab the car charger that is specific for your smart phone not just a "universal" one. Had this problem years ago when i picked one up in the Toyota dealership parts bin while waiting for my GS. $5 charger... no bueno
Old 03-23-15, 02:59 PM
ianbis
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

"when I got the car none of the cigarette lighters were working"

I'm guessing the prior owner was having issues and finally gave up on continuously changing the fuses, have someone who knows what they are doing check the circuit out or install a new power point in your favorite accessible spot
Old 03-25-15, 08:29 AM
carlos3366
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Default fuses don't blow for any reason, something seems

Originally Posted by ianbis
"when I got the car none of the cigarette lighters were working"

I'm guessing the prior owner was having issues and finally gave up on continuously changing the fuses, have someone who knows what they are doing check the circuit out or install a new power point in your favorite accessible spot
wrong with the circuit. I have a usb charger from the dollar store and have no problems blowing fuses.
Old 03-25-15, 08:58 AM
derboeseko
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by carlos3366
wrong with the circuit. I have a usb charger from the dollar store and have no problems blowing fuses.
I have an 07 and it has killed 2 car chargers so far. From using the cigarette adapter in the front.
Old 03-25-15, 03:42 PM
ianbis
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by carlos3366
unless you are the OP or sold him the car this message was not intended for you. The OP stated that the outlet did not work and once he found the fuse and changed it, it burnt the fuse out again, I was giving him advice on his particular set of circumstances on his car
Old 03-25-15, 05:12 PM
pheonix72
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Sorry but it was hard to understand your descriptions of the issue. I have some basic questions:
1. Were both of the outlets (cigarette lighter) have power after you replaced the fuse? You might need a volt meter to check.

2. Or the fuse blew as soon as you plugged in the charger?

I am suspecting you might have issues with the wires shorting out; which is hard to find unless you tear everything apart to trace the harness. If you are handy, one option would be re-wired the outlets and tap onto a spare slot on the fuse panel.
Old 03-25-15, 08:53 PM
hirsch2is
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's the charger. I see this all te time at the dealership I work at(Toyota). 99.9% of the time it's crap chargers
Old 03-26-15, 08:20 AM
nwscoobie
Driver School Candidate

I also have this issue, The front ashtray outlet works but the one inside the console does not. Are they on different fuses?

Also, I seem to get a some feedback (static noise) through my speakers when my phone is charging through the front outlet when using the AUX cord.
Old 03-26-15, 10:11 AM
derboeseko
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by nwscoobie
I also have this issue, The front ashtray outlet works but the one inside the console does not. Are they on different fuses?

Also, I seem to get a some feedback (static noise) through my speakers when my phone is charging through the front outlet when using the AUX cord.
I have always gotten feedback while charging. With every vehicle as far back as I can remember. Not sure why...
Old 03-26-15, 11:07 AM
chicagoblknazn
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by nwscoobie

There was a TSB regarding this. Your service advisor should be able to find it and switch out the AUX port I beleive.