IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

06 IS350 burning oil at 80k

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-15, 03:22 PM
sealioo
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 06 IS350 burning oil at 80k

Has anyone else experienced an oil consumption issue with their IS350? Mine first started around 80k, with the oil level light coming on between oil changes. Dealer said it was no big deal. Then after bringing it up a fewmore times, the dealer said a timing chain cover leak was causing the level to drop. Lexus Corp covered half, but it cost about $2k. Problem didn't go away, and now the dealership is saying the short block needs to be replaced. Lexus corp offered to cover parts, leaving me with an out of pocket cost of around $3200 for labor. I've religiously followed the maint. schedule, always at the same dealer.

I'm amazed that a Lexus is having a problem like this at only about 110k miles. I expected to have the thing for 200k+ based on other people's experience with their Lexus. Has anyone else had this issue? If so, is it just a matter of topping off the oil more often, or have you seen more significant failure as a result?
Old 03-18-15, 03:52 PM
Gatriel
Rookie

At what oil change interval were you changing oil at?

I've found that the longer the oil stays in the car, the less it is able to lubricate and the more it is able to generate friction (and thus heat). This additional heat leads to rubber bits running out of spec causing havoc about at this time.

I've had my fair share of BMWs. While I think they are a superior driving machine when compared to that of a Lexus, and to be fair -- they are just a better car over all, Lexus' 10k oil changes vs BMWs 20k oil changes have lead to the premature death of literally millions of BMWs over the years, whereas the Lexus are still going strong.

With your current car its probably too late already, but with your next car -- change the oil at least every 7k. I am coming to the point in life that it is better to buy a fully spec'd brand new car that is exactly what I want -- and maintain it as such for years, than this jumping from used car to used car to used car.

Just some food for thought.
Old 03-18-15, 04:37 PM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

Have you confirmed you are burning oil or just leaking it out somewhere? Pull some plugs and post pictures. That will tell how badly you are burning oil, IF you are.

Good luck!
Old 03-18-15, 05:33 PM
Offspring
Lead Lap

I've got an 06 is350 with 140k burning oil for sure . Dealer in Memphis did a detailed inspection of all my internals and everything and charged corporate for it.

They concluded that I don't require an engine makeover but it's just the car aging ? He said I was wishing the normal specs of the is350 consuming oil . I just monitor my oil levels actively.
Old 03-18-15, 06:50 PM
ianbis
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Sorry to hear about your issue, I only have 10K on my IS but as a general rule oil maintenance reminders in cars do not sample the oil and tell its condition based on its molecular makeup although there is a company called Blackstone labs, that will test the molecular composition of your used oil and provide a report that tells you what is going on in your oil system. Oil maintenance reminders make a calculation (algorithms) based on amount of time spent at idle, amount of time spent at static cruising RPMs at and number of cold start ups, dusty conditions, harsh or severe operating conditions etc etc. There is no substitute for a good religious 7500 mile oil change interval, unless of course you do a 5000 mile oil change routine. Going less than 5000 miles is usually a waste of money and more than 7500 is usually a gamble, All Machines that have high heat as a byproduct of normal operation will consume some oil (are there any machines that don't??). If you wait for the maintenance minder its usually too late.

I have worked on my fair share of BMW's my buddy had (2) two and I rejoiced the day that he finally got rid of his trouble ridden European spec E46s. I seems like I spent every weekend at his house repairing or trouble shooting issues on his family owned E46s. Mileage at my emancipation was approx. 175K & 185K both were trouble ridden.

I have spent my fair share of hours changing the timing belt on my and my friends and family's Audis (6 - 8 hours at a clip) to do the maintenance. Had to change a clutch on the factory clutch that went out prematurely on my GIAC chipped Audi went to South Bend DxD clutch all I can say is this is what a clutch should grip and feel like, but no other issues except for tie-rod ends (once I switched to S4 tie rod ends I was good) and a poly front engine mount instead of the rubber donut spec'ed by the factory. Still have the Audi mileage 245K oil change routine 5K miles even though manual spec'ed 7500 mile oil change intervals the service adviser told me to do 5000 mile oil changes which I have done religiously, I can say that this vehicle would never survive a 7500 mile oil change interval, no way

My Acura is what I would call simply retarded all she required was regular oil changes, transmission flushes every year after 80K miles and a fog light bulb. Still have the Acura 186K miles, did not even change the serpentine belt as I said this car is retarded although the heat shield from the cat did divorce the cat at approx. 165K miles

All cars needed brakes and tires. Serpentine Belts and seals and water pump changed during timing belt maintenance on Audi every 90K miles I don't look forward to number 3 timimg belt change its quite a job

I've owned the Audi and the Acura from day 1, the Lex is a lease return with 10K miles I look forward to the Toyota legendary levels of build quality

I am aware that Audi changed the timing belt service to every 60K miles but I am the only one that drives and maintains the car so I feel comfortable with the spec'ed 90K mile timing belt change.

These are just anecdotes of my personal experience, as your mileage may vary

Last edited by ianbis; 03-18-15 at 07:34 PM.
Old 03-19-15, 09:48 AM
sealioo
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Gatriel
At what oil change interval were you changing oil at?

I've found that the longer the oil stays in the car, the less it is able to lubricate and the more it is able to generate friction (and thus heat). This additional heat leads to rubber bits running out of spec causing havoc about at this time.

I've had my fair share of BMWs. While I think they are a superior driving machine when compared to that of a Lexus, and to be fair -- they are just a better car over all, Lexus' 10k oil changes vs BMWs 20k oil changes have lead to the premature death of literally millions of BMWs over the years, whereas the Lexus are still going strong.

With your current car its probably too late already, but with your next car -- change the oil at least every 7k. I am coming to the point in life that it is better to buy a fully spec'd brand new car that is exactly what I want -- and maintain it as such for years, than this jumping from used car to used car to used car.

Just some food for thought.
Thanks for the insight. I was oil at the dealer every 5k, even asked my advisor about going synthetic at around 70k and was told I shouldn't.
Old 03-19-15, 09:52 AM
sealioo
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Gville350
Have you confirmed you are burning oil or just leaking it out somewhere? Pull some plugs and post pictures. That will tell how badly you are burning oil, IF you are.

Good luck!
Good point. I know it doesn't leave any leaks on the ground, but I imagine it could still be a leak that's burning off before it makes it to the ground. I'll pull a couple plugs this weekend to see. The most frustrating part is that I already paid $2k for Lexus to fix what they said the issue was, and now they want more. I'm starting to sour on the brand pretty quickly at this point, or I'll just have to make sure I don't own one out of warranty.
Old 03-19-15, 03:28 PM
IonSpray35
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I started burning oil at 115k miles (at 140k now). I have a 2006 350 as well. There are no visible leaks. I burn about 2 quarts by the end of 5,000 miles.

How do you drive your vehicle?

I drive 50-80 miles a day highway for the past five years. Because of that I drive it pretty light 90% of the time. I've read driving habitually at low rpm can increase carbon build-up. I did an Italian tune-up recently but won't know if that helped at all for at least another 5,000 miles (I'll be getting an oil change very soon).
Old 03-19-15, 09:53 PM
idoke1
Instructor

Received 50 Likes on 31 Posts

That really sucks. My is350 never burn any oil and when i did sell it @ 170k miles, it was running good like the day i first bought it. I wish you the best.
Old 03-20-15, 07:06 AM
Offspring
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by IonSpray35
I started burning oil at 115k miles (at 140k now). I have a 2006 350 as well. There are no visible leaks. I burn about 2 quarts by the end of 5,000 miles.

I drive 50-80 miles a day highway for the past five years. Because of that I drive it pretty light 90% of the time. I've read driving habitually at low rpm can increase carbon build-up. I did an Italian tune-up recently but won't know if that helped at all for at least another 5,000 miles (I'll be getting an oil change very soon).
All highway miles to and from work.
Old 03-20-15, 08:56 AM
darkdream
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All cars burn oil. Mine just happens to burn so little that I never can tell. It depends on many factors like your driving habits, mileage, etc. My s2000 started to burn crazy amounts of oil like a quart every 2k miles.
Old 03-20-15, 09:00 AM
pheonix72
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

My 2006 IS350 with 120k on the ODO burns about 1.5-2qt per 5k miles. I use synthetic 5w30. I also have the timing chain cover leaks but very little oil leak out. I have Lexus HKS and the muffler would get lot of black build up which lead me to believe the majority of the oil is burning thru
Old 03-20-15, 01:34 PM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

Sorry to hear about all of these oil-burning IS350 motors. I can say that I'm pretty happy that my IS350 motor doesn't burn a drop @ nearly 90k miles now.

ALOT of the burning issues stem from how the motor was originally broken-in during those first 100 miles; as an engine builder (not by profession, only hobbyist), I understand the importance of those first miles being the utmost importance of sealing those rings to the cylinder walls. Plus the way the car is driven thereafter affects it, AND of course the type of oil used. The motor internals LOVE the varying rpms during the initials mileage AND deceleration using vacuum to help with the rings sealing; the worse thing you can do is purchase a new car and drive it on a HWY for hours. The motor needs those variances in rpm from the get-go.
Old 03-20-15, 02:01 PM
Deathrow23
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

yeah, i have 123k miles. and just noticed before my last oil change ( was about 7k miles from last oil change ) that my oil light came on just for a few seconds, then disappeared. didnt stay on . thought it was kinda weird. so i dont know if it was really low or just a malfunction.
Old 03-20-15, 03:34 PM
sealioo
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by IonSpray35

About 40 miles a day in stop and go freeway traffic. I imagine that's not easy on the engine. I guess at this point I'll just keep driving it and top it off when needed. Hopefully I don't have issues passing smog.