IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Anyone else have the headliner rattle?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-15, 01:33 AM
is250fsprt
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone else have the headliner rattle?

Anyone else with this issue? Everytime I'm driving on bumpy roads you can hear the rattle. Today I noticed that when shutting the doors on the driver side you can hear the noise but I can't quite put my finger on it. When shutting the doors on the passenger side you don't hear anything.
Old 03-17-15, 10:23 AM
iRock
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Could be coming from the instrument cluster. I've had a few rattles in my car. That was one of them. Take it to the dealer to do warranty work if it's not to late!
Old 03-17-15, 10:44 AM
is250fsprt
Pole Position

I'm way out of warranty. My extended warranty expired as well. I'm pretty sure it's the headliner but I do have the dash rattle but that don't annoy me as much as the headliner does. Anyone know how much would the dealer charge to tear down the headliner?
Old 03-17-15, 02:19 PM
gdogie
Driver School Candidate

I'm having the same problem with the headliner. I took it to my car guy and he said it could possibly be a loose nut in the sunroof, but not sure until he takes the headliner off. I do not want to get it done unless I know for sure that its the headliner. If anyone has some insight in this, please let me know.
Old 03-17-15, 03:38 PM
xanderES
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Since you're so general as to where the rattle in the headliner is coming from...

One of the first things I'd check is that the plastic cover on the sides of the sunroof are clipped in. Could be something as easy as that.
Old 03-17-15, 06:49 PM
is250fsprt
Pole Position

Originally Posted by gdogie
I'm having the same problem with the headliner. I took it to my car guy and he said it could possibly be a loose nut in the sunroof, but not sure until he takes the headliner off. I do not want to get it done unless I know for sure that its the headliner. If anyone has some insight in this, please let me know.
This sound about right. Before the rattle this is what happened. Opened the sunroof was making a weird noise but stopped. Then I was just driving around and heard something rolling up in the headliner. Haven't heard anything rolling in the headliner since. Its was just that one time. Now I'm wonder if bolt is lodge somewhere and causing the rattle.
Old 03-17-15, 10:08 PM
gdogie
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by xanderES
Since you're so general as to where the rattle in the headliner is coming from...

One of the first things I'd check is that the plastic cover on the sides of the sunroof are clipped in. Could be something as easy as that.
At first, I thought the noise was coming from my right rear passenger side, possibly the suspension, but I recently replaced my shocks and the noise was still there. Upon further inspection, I realized the clunking/creaky rolling noise was coming from my headliner/sunroof area. My mechanic told me that it could possibly be something loose in the headliner/sunroof, but he is not sure until he takes it apart. I've checked the sunroof and I don't see anything that is loose so I think that it could be something that is under the headliner that needs to be tighten up.
Old 03-18-15, 11:35 AM
Maxx250awd
Pole Position

Same issue here as well - I have something in my "sunroof area" driving me crazy! This is new within the last 6 months or so.

I'll be interested in what your guy says
Old 03-18-15, 02:37 PM
A1cntrler
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Mine rattles (2006 IS350) as well on the highway/bumpy paved roads. I finally found that if I press up on the passenger side rear of the sunroof glass the rattle stops and the glass panel easily moves about 1/8th of an inch upwards. I looked to see if there was something loose I could tighten but found nothing. When I took it in for some service I had the dealer investigate. They told me that the rattle is from the cables that operate the sunroof and replacement part was about $1100 plus labor. So my roof still rattles. I'm not sure how the cables can cause the glass panel to be loose and able to be pressed upwards in the frame only on one corner, but I'm not the technician and don't have access to the schematics to view how it is all interconnected.
Old 03-18-15, 03:13 PM
andper10
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Does anybody have a schematic available for the sunroof? Might help these folks out and I am interested because mine has wind noise when closed at highway speeds unless I close the fabric cover or push up on the back part while driving (not practical).
Old 03-18-15, 07:20 PM
xanderES
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Removing the headliner is a major, major job and there is a good chance the headliner is going to crease taking it out or putting it back in.

Essentially you have to strip the inside of the car before you have access and enough room to get it

My local dealer charges 6 hours of labor and that doesn't even cover what it actually takes to do.

If you're just going to stick your hand in there looking for a loose screw it'll be a little less but still more costly than you'd want to pay.
Old 03-18-15, 08:59 PM
nosurprise
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 61 Posts

I had a rattle that turn out to be caused by the sun roof -- it rattles above my head when there is unevenness in the road.

I took it to the dealer and they said the problem is the sunroof housing assembly and cables and replaced these parts:
63203-53020 HOUSING SUB-ASSY, SL
63205-0E020 CABLE SUB ASSY, SLID
Old 03-19-15, 01:16 AM
is250fsprt
Pole Position

This DIY makes removing the headliner look easy.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...oval-swap.html
Old 03-19-15, 01:33 PM
gdogie
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by A1cntrler
Mine rattles (2006 IS350) as well on the highway/bumpy paved roads. I finally found that if I press up on the passenger side rear of the sunroof glass the rattle stops and the glass panel easily moves about 1/8th of an inch upwards. I looked to see if there was something loose I could tighten but found nothing. When I took it in for some service I had the dealer investigate. They told me that the rattle is from the cables that operate the sunroof and replacement part was about $1100 plus labor. So my roof still rattles. I'm not sure how the cables can cause the glass panel to be loose and able to be pressed upwards in the frame only on one corner, but I'm not the technician and don't have access to the schematics to view how it is all interconnected.
Yeah, its definitely the sunroof, I just noticed it today when I pressed against the rear passenger side of the sunroof and the noise does seem to go away. You can also feel the sunroof moving out of place a little bit which is causing the clunking noise. I really want to get this fix but not at $1100 plus labor.
Old 03-19-15, 01:35 PM
A1cntrler
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by gdogie
Yeah, its definitely the sunroof, I just noticed it today when I pressed against the rear passenger side of the sunroof and the noise does seem to go away. You can also feel the sunroof moving out of place a little bit which is causing the clunking noise. I really want to get this fix but not at $1100 plus labor.
Your dealer may have a different price. Mine was from Thousand Oaks Lexus in Westlake Village, CA (pretty rich area) and I've felt for a while their prices are a bit higher than others. I might take it to a Toyota dealer and see fi they can do the work for me cheaper.

Quick Reply: Anyone else have the headliner rattle?