IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Pulled wiring harness loose

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-15, 02:44 PM
GOofFye
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pulled wiring harness loose

Been on CL for years picking up ways to keep my 2007 IS250 on the road, but got myself into a pickle and need some help.

A week or so ago I experienced the dreaded dead, dead battery that crippled the car's electronics and then found the alternator was toast and the ultimate cause. So this lead me to the project of replacing the alternator because apparently I enjoy torturing myself.

Found all the articles to get the alternator out and replaced (hidden brackets and all) but now have noticed a new issue I caused and am not sure exactly how to go about resolving.

Apparently during the efforts to get the alternator out of the lemon-sized hole, one of the wiring harnesses on the top of the engine pulled loose from the wires and is now disconnected (see close up picture).

I by no means am a car guru and probably shouldn't have even tried this in the first place (at least that's what my wife keeps telling me!). I'm not even sure what that plug might be for so I can even try to find how to repair or replace. I have included an overhead view of the engine with the area of the harness circled and I know you guys will tell me exactly what it is and maybe even what some of my options are. (Note the beautiful new Denso alternator w/ no belt yet )

Any help is obviously extremely appreciated and if there is anything I can do/answer, just let me know! Thanks in advance!
Attached Thumbnails Pulled wiring harness loose-plug.jpg   Pulled wiring harness loose-plugoverhead.jpg  
Old 03-13-15, 02:57 PM
ianbis
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The wife has the is250 so I cant go look at mine for a reference but it appears to me as if the wires that were pulled loose belong to the sensor that it is pointing/aimed at in pic #1
Old 03-13-15, 03:01 PM
GOofFye
Driver School Candidate

That is correct; the issue is that I need to repair the harness and I do not know how or even what harness/sensor to try to look it up info on. Overhead picture is to give reference to the plug with the problem and the close up is to show the damage I caused.
Old 03-13-15, 03:19 PM
getafewliv
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Yikes! That looks like it may be tricky to fix.

It looks like the wires got severed from the plug. I would start by taking the black plug off in the pic and inspecting how it goes together. You may get lucky and be able to disconnect the plug and put the wires back in.

Sometimes harnesses have pins that get inserted into the plug and lock in place. If that's the case, you will need to get the severed pins out, and somehow repin the wires and push them back in.

You may need help on this one if you are inexperienced.
Old 03-13-15, 03:29 PM
GOofFye
Driver School Candidate

I've got the plug off and have inspected it and I cannot see any breaks in the molding to where I could separate and reconnect the wires in any way. It looks like the wires just need to go about 1/8" back into the harness from the wires that are exposed. Would there be a harness that was permanently molded onto the end of the wires (with 1/8" leads) that is then rolled into the massive wad of wires and disappears into la la land?

First thing is even identifying which plug that is. Can anyone tell me which plug that is and is it repairable/replaceable?
Old 03-13-15, 05:05 PM
Gville350

Received 429 Likes on 383 Posts

Where in SC are you? If local, I can help.
Old 03-13-15, 05:30 PM
GOofFye
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Gville350
Where in SC are you? If local, I can help.
Right down the road from the looks of it 85/Pelham area. Think it's fixable or did I shoot myself in the foot on this one?
Old 03-14-15, 07:10 AM
Sceanzo
Pit Crew

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Anything is fixible. Find out the sensor that is. Call the dealer and ask if they have a pigtail for it. If not you will be repinning three wires
Old 03-14-15, 07:11 AM
Gville350

Well hell yeah! PM me your info and I'll see about a visit this weekend!
Old 03-14-15, 11:34 AM
GOofFye
Driver School Candidate

So Gville350 swung by the house today and helped out tremendously and we now have a bearing on the plug and even have the car running/moving. From what we can tell the plug goes to a sensor that is related to something oil (when you remove the oil cap you see the sensor connected to some plate/etc. just inside the oil cap).

We did a test on his 350 with the same sensor/plug and found that other than the CEL/VSC/etc. lights coming on, the car ran/drove fine (at least to 40mph/3krpm) so it is not detrimental to the car and at least I can move the car now. Just a note, we did have to reset the computer get his 350 to clear the codes.

The only problem I have now is that I need to know the exact pin order to re-wire the plug with for a 2007 IS250. As you can see from my original picture, I have 2 green wires and a white wire, where the 2006 IS350 has a red, white, and green wire.

Can anyone with a 2007 IS250 please take a look under the hood and shoot me a picture/details of your wiring for the harness so I can replicate? The harness is the one just to the right of the oil cap (you can see just the edge of the oil cap in the close up pic). Once I have that, I can get the pins back on and inserted back into the harness and (fingers crossed) the sensor will fire up and the car will be normal again. Pics to come as well.
Old 03-14-15, 12:03 PM
Meelis
Driver School Candidate

Hello, its dark here in Estonia, but i tried to take a photo. It is not easy to take a picture there when not disconnecting anyting. Hope it helps, good luck!

Harness
Old 03-14-15, 12:15 PM
Gville350

So apparently that sensor is the Camshaft Position Sensor. Soooo, now you just need the correct wire-to-pin orientation. I couldn't find anything online; but I did come across this on ebay, in case the re-pinned connector doesn't work out :

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Engine-Camshaft-Position-Sensor-Connector-Standard-S-1038-/361107290750?fits=Make%3ALexus%7CModel%3AIS250&hash=item5413abfa7e&vxp=mtr
Old 03-14-15, 12:17 PM
Gville350

Originally Posted by Meelis
Can you confirm which wire goes into which pin in the back of the connector? Does the white one go in the middle? Is there a stripe on any of the two green wires to determine which goes where?
Old 03-14-15, 12:32 PM
GOofFye
Driver School Candidate

Thanks guys; both of those are great steps in the right direction!

So I checked and of the 2 green wires, one of them is ever-so-slightly a darker tint of green than the other which will tell me if it's pin 1 or 3. Can anyone identify which side is which? I assume we will reference in relation to the harness being plugged in as for left vs. right.

Just a heads up, its really simple to get the harness off/on if anyone is brave enough to unplug and look closer.
Old 03-14-15, 01:37 PM
LeXmanG
Rookie

Had the same issue with mine when replacing my spark plugs. Lexus does sell them (around 50 bucks for a new connector; my recollection as to what I was quoted.). I ended up making my own with some high temperature wire and A+ soldering skills... I repaired mine last August and have had no CEL/Check VSC, or other issues since.

It is possible to repair it, but you need to have the right tools (a good soldering iron that gets hot enough and quickly).

Quick Reply: Pulled wiring harness loose