IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Pulled wiring harness loose

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-15, 04:19 PM
GOofFye
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LeXmanG
Had the same issue with mine when replacing my spark plugs. Lexus does sell them (around 50 bucks for a new connector; my recollection as to what I was quoted.). I ended up making my own with some high temperature wire and A+ soldering skills... I repaired mine last August and have had no CEL/Check VSC, or other issues since.

It is possible to repair it, but you need to have the right tools (a good soldering iron that gets hot enough and quickly).
At least I know I'm not alone! So from the pictures it looks like you have a new pigtail/harness that you spliced into the original 3 wires. 2 questions:
1) Where did you get that new pigtail/harness from (is that the $50 Lexus one or did you order it elsewhere)?
2) When you went to splice the new pigtail in, how did you know what pins went where when you spliced? Do you have a schematic/pin layout or just know?
Old 03-14-15, 08:15 PM
Ants350
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Same thing happen to me! While changing damm spark plugs! I got lucky found seller that clip the plug off the main wiring harness from a junk yard for $20. Plug was in mint shape. Lexus does not sell the plugs around my way. I went hunting on eBay and found a seller that went above and beyond for me. The colors don't matter on the plug as long it's the same connector type. Mine was different colors. If you splice wires and still getting engine light than you know you connected wrong wires.

Last edited by Ants350; 03-14-15 at 08:22 PM.
Old 03-14-15, 08:28 PM
GOofFye
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Ants250
The colors don't matter on the plug as long it's the same connector type.
I agree that ultimately the colors don't matter/have to match but I do have to reconnect them in the same pin pattern (or at least I would assume). I can actually see on the inside of the plug that the pins are numbered 1 & 3 but since the wires are loose I don't know which one originally went where.

I can somewhat see from Meelis' picture the white wire seems to be in the middle, and it looks like the slightly darker green wire is in the left side of the harness. So if I were using his picture as the reference, I'm thinking the wiring pinout is (looking down at the plug):

Left - Dark Green
Middle - White
Right - Light Green

Once I pop the pins back into the plug I don't know if I'll get another shot, so I'm hoping to confirm things before jumping off the cliff...
Old 03-15-15, 10:06 AM
Ants350
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Pulled wiring harness loose-image-3848807833.jpg
I don't think that connector will work I looked into it. That's why I went on ebay and searched and searched and found OEM off an original harness.
Old 03-15-15, 11:33 AM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

For the time being, reconnect the pins to the wires and then temporarily connect the pins directly to the sensor's pins. Disconnect the battery like I had to, and when the CELs and such go away, then you've got the proper pin-to-sensor setup. Re-pin the connector and connect to the sensor. Hopefully I didn't mess up the connector too badly that it can still function normally
Old 03-16-15, 08:51 PM
LeXmanG
Rookie

Originally Posted by GOofFye
At least I know I'm not alone! So from the pictures it looks like you have a new pigtail/harness that you spliced into the original 3 wires. 2 questions:
1) Where did you get that new pigtail/harness from (is that the $50 Lexus one or did you order it elsewhere)?
2) When you went to splice the new pigtail in, how did you know what pins went where when you spliced? Do you have a schematic/pin layout or just know?
You are correct with the wiring schematic:

Left - Dark Green
Middle - White
Right - Light Green

I actually repaired the one I had. I used the posts from a bi-pin automotive light bulb (see below) as a place to soldier the new wiring.

Pins from this type of bulb were just the right size as they fit very snug in the original connector. After I re-soldiered the wires to the bulb pins, I used to JB quick weld to seal it all up from the back side (the exposed side).

I did a little digging and I think I may have located a replacement connector for you (http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/rafr...rttype=2540&ck[ID]=0&ck[idlist]=0&ck[viewcurrency]=USD&ck[PHP_SESSION_ID]=qfspl0jb6qp45qff5dml71iro6)

For $25.79, it might be worth a shot if you don't want to attempt to repair yours.

Let me know if it works out.

Last edited by LeXmanG; 03-16-15 at 09:11 PM.
Old 03-18-15, 09:16 AM
GOofFye
Driver School Candidate

Sorry guys, the wife put me to work once the car was movable! Hoping to hop back on this ASAP!

You are correct with the wiring schematic:

Left - Dark Green
Middle - White
Right - Light Green
Awesome! Definitely going to have to give that a shot and see how things look...

I did a little digging and I think I may have located a replacement connector for you (http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/rafr...rttype=2540&ck[ID]=0&ck[idlist]=0&ck[viewcurrency]=USD&ck[PHP_SESSION_ID]=qfspl0jb6qp45qff5dml71iro6)

For $25.79, it might be worth a shot if you don't want to attempt to repair yours.
That looks like the same adapter that Gville350 had posted and I agree with both of you, now that I have the pinout of the sensor I can replace the whole plug if needed. Going to try reseating the pins in the plug and giving it a shot, and if no workey, going to order a new plug and just wire it in as needed.

Thanks a million guys and hopefully this is going to be behind me soon! Gville350 pointed out that my water pump is probably about to go next and I don't know if I have it in me to work on this car any more
Old 03-18-15, 02:29 PM
getafewliv
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Glad to see you've been able to get lots of help/info from the forum
Old 03-18-15, 03:46 PM
GOofFye
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by GOofFye
Definitely going to have to give that a shot and see how things look....
Sooooo... I decided to go ahead and jump in and give it a shot; what's the worst that could happen, right?

I decided to recrimp the pins back to the wire insulation with needle-nose and then I hit the end with a bit of solder just to make sure everything was good and connected. Note I remembered to slide the little boots back on the wiring BEFORE I soldered the pins back on )

Once I got all 3 pins soldered back on, they fit perfectly back into the slots and seemed to seat into place. There used to be a white plastic shim that held the pins (that Gville350 so delicately drilled out) so it's not a permanent fit but snug enough to hold. Slid the boots back up to the plug and voila, the plug looks as good as new!

Plugged it all back in, pulled the battery to reset, and sure enough, it cranked with no VSC/CEL lights lit up. Seems to run like a champ, although tire is low so can't test drive just yet. I think we are good to go, and there is no way I could have done it without all the helpful folks here on CL!

Soldered pins

Ready to plug
Old 03-18-15, 04:40 PM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

Good work! Glad it all worked out in the end!
Old 03-18-15, 07:21 PM
GiantsFan
Lexus Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

And this is why I love CL

Glad you got it all fixed up!
Old 03-18-15, 10:11 PM
LeXmanG
Rookie

Way to go. I've got the instructions on the water pump if you want them. The alternator was much worse IMHO, was able to get it done without draining the coolant though :-)