IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

First Speeding Ticket

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-15, 02:10 PM
isdouble
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A lot of people are telling me to fight the ticket because I have a clean record and it's only 10+ the legal speed limit. Worst case, I lose and end up paying the penalty anyways. If I think back, there was a huge 18 wheeler obscuring his view to see how fast I was going. He probably saw me after I changed the lane into the exit ramp in which case it wouldn't be 75 since there's a curve. Then again, it's he says she says..
Old 03-10-15, 02:14 PM
MikeFoxx
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Sounds like you agree that you were speeding so what are you trying to fight? Cop prob didn't put the exact amount over that you were speeding as a favor to qualify you for traffic school to pull the point away from ever showing up on your mvr. Go to court plead guilty cause you are and the judge will usually cut the fine in half. Pay that and take your online traffic school for $25 and 2 hours of your day so it never shows up and be done with it. Where you pay the fine in the court house is where you get the list of Qualified web sites for this. The other benefit of going to court in CA is that if the office doesn't show then the whole thing is dropped. Represent yourself it's just a speeding ticket.

**** Edit : i see now why you are considering to fight it but here is the down side to fighting the ticket... if you don't win then you pay the full fine and will not be eligible for traffic school to keep it off your record for three years. It sounds like you know you are guilty of speeding so it's already not in your favor.

Last edited by MikeFoxx; 03-10-15 at 02:18 PM.
Old 03-10-15, 02:17 PM
DarkSeph
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

That's insane! I've always kept my cruise control at 74 on the highway whenever I go anywhere, and 77+ if I'm in a hurry. I've not ever heard of anyone here in CA who gets pulled over for anything under 80. In fact, around here in Los Angeles, everyone drives by me on the highway wondering if I'm some old Grandma only going in the low to mid 70's..people are passing around me left and right if I drive in the leftmost lanes. Utter blasphemy getting a ticket for 75 MPH. I'd fight it just in case the guy doesn't care to contest you.
Old 03-10-15, 03:08 PM
idoke1
Instructor

Received 50 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeFoxx

**** Edit : i see now why you are considering to fight it but here is the down side to fighting the ticket... if you don't win then you pay the full fine and will not be eligible for traffic school to keep it off your record for three years. It sounds like you know you are guilty of speeding so it's already not in your favor.
^^MikeFoxx is right. I have first account of this experience when i was young. If you fight it and loose, the point will remain and no traffic school. Even though you were going 75 on a 65, you were still speeding over the maximum speed limit. Pay the fine and you will be eligible for traffic school which will remove your point. Just in case you guys are wondering, CHP officers also take courses to determine your speed without radar. They have full on training and expect the judge to favor the CHP as they are sworn in by law. You could plead for a lesser fine and in that case, its up to the judge.
Old 03-10-15, 03:20 PM
isdouble
Rookie

Okay so if I were to plead guilty and ask for reduction on fine. How much will I be reducing?
From what I can see, I'm looking at roughly $300 ticket. I'm just wondering if it's worth taking time off from work.
Old 03-10-15, 03:37 PM
idoke1
Instructor

Received 50 Likes on 31 Posts

^^ Thats the risk. It depends on the judge. Nowadays, they don't send out the letter. Its up to your responsibility to call them and get the info. It takes time so expect a whole month wait before you can get any info on your ticket. If you call and it says mandatory appearance, you have to go in at their specific date. If so, plea the judge for a lower fee. If you call and it states the fine amount, pay for it and get the traffic school too. If i remember correctly, to get traffic school, you have to pay the fine in full.

Last edited by idoke1; 03-10-15 at 03:42 PM.
Old 03-10-15, 04:51 PM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Did you speed ?

1. Yes -> Pay and take traffice school. Don't speed again in the next 18 months.

2. No -> Fight for it

It's not worth the time spending in court because there's no 100% win
Old 03-10-15, 09:01 PM
Keo
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by idoke1
^^ Thats the risk. It depends on the judge. Nowadays, they don't send out the letter. Its up to your responsibility to call them and get the info. It takes time so expect a whole month wait before you can get any info on your ticket. If you call and it says mandatory appearance, you have to go in at their specific date. If so, plea the judge for a lower fee. If you call and it states the fine amount, pay for it and get the traffic school too. If i remember correctly, to get traffic school, you have to pay the fine in full.
Gotta disagree with that. I also got a speeding ticket recently in LA county and received my mail letter bailed amount and court appearance date within a week from the issued ticket date. I wish I got the OP ticket. we can trade because I got ninja radar going 65 on a 35! what can I say. I love my Exhaust sound....don't we all.
Old 03-10-15, 09:26 PM
Tro209
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Bummer. I got my first speeding ticket back in November and I was very upset as I had a clean driving record for 3 years since I first got my license. (Generally I'm a safe driver )

Anywho.. I went to court and the officer present told us that we can plead guilty or schedule a different court date to fight the ticket. He also however said that unless you provide hard evidence that you weren't speeding and you have witnesses that your better off just paying the ticket as you will be charged a litte more on top of your ticket, due to having to schedule a different date. (Or something like that)

So I said screw it. Just like everyone else in court did lol. Not even worth it.
So honestly unless you are 100% sure you will win (unlikely) then I say just pay the fine and do traffic school.

Good luck!!!

Oh and also on a related note I have since then gotten a Kobra Radar Detector that was on sale at Target for like $30 lol. It may seem stupid, it may sound stupid, and the device may look a little stupid; But when your driving down the highway doing 10-15 over the limit and that little red KA symbol start flashing and beeping like crazy and you see that CHP officer hiding on the side of the road..... you'll be happy you bought that detector

It has definetly saved me from my 2nd speeding ticket lol

Last edited by Tro209; 03-10-15 at 09:34 PM.
Old 03-11-15, 08:56 AM
2ISTruong
Rookie

Request for discovery. The court will send you the officers sworn statement which should explain how he determined your speed and his observations.

I just got a speeding ticket doing 10 over. I dissected the sworn statement, found some holes and took it to court. Found the prosecutor 20 min prior to hearing and negotiated it down to a non-moving violation and just had to pay the fine but no hit on my insurance.

I wouldn't admit guild before looking into the case.

There are good forums that could help you fight the case. Try reading some cases here that were fought. http://www.expertlaw.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=143
Old 03-11-15, 10:23 AM
iRock
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kickin8
Did you speed ?

1. Yes -> Pay and take traffice school. Don't speed again in the next 18 months.

2. No -> Fight for it

It's not worth the time spending in court because there's no 100% win
This is what I would do.

Just FYI... My girl got a carpool ticket. She fought it and won bec the officer didn't reply. The key was to ask for an extension at the last min to make it take even longer in hopes that they will forget. Moral of the story is that if she can win a carpool ticket where it was 100% sure that she was guilty, you can win a speeding ticket. Trail by declaration or something like that. Good luck in what ever you choose!
Old 03-11-15, 11:15 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by metaleckz
if i stayed the speed limit people would tailgate me and honk me. Therefore its not safe to drive within the speed limit.
Actually, that is probably the safest thing you can do. Most cops won't write you up for just a few MPH over the limit...real enforcement starts at 10-15 MPH over, and 20 MPH or more can be a reckless driving charge in some states.

So it is to your advantage to drive slow enough that you won't get ticketed. If that's not good enough for the idiots behind you honking their horn, that's on them, not you. The heck with them...they just need to get over it.

Also, make sure you don't have substantially-larger-then-stock tires or wheels without a speedometer-reprogramming. That can make both the speedometer and odometer read low, and make you think you are going slower than you are.
Old 03-11-15, 11:38 AM
isdouble
Rookie

Thanks for all the replies and sharing experiences.
I decided to wait and see the mail I'll be getting later down the road.
I'm on the fence of trying the Trial of Declaration or just paying the fine and avoid the hassle.
Old 03-11-15, 12:00 PM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

In so many years now (10 years), I only get one ridiculous ticket called "Cell Phone" ticket lol but it doesn't add point to my records so I'm still perfectly clean and good driver haha.

Anyone has also experienced with the cell phone ticket too???

When it comes to speed, I bring it to autocross or track
Old 03-11-15, 08:30 PM
srt1
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Declaration is a start. Do you give up your rights to attend traffic court if you write a declaration? I don't recall but hopefully not. To calculate speed, by vehicle alone, the officer has a start point and an end point. The officer needs to travel a minimum of 1/4 mi to get your speed and his. He needs to prove where his exact points were at. How far back was the patrol vehicle from yours? Be advised that off ramps are not 75mph. The court is going to say speeding is speeding, regardless, It's just how much over the max speed limit you were going.
I had something similar on 680 and he was too far back to get his start and end point. But I couldnt take time off to go to court twice, which the officer MUST attend, at least in Santa Clara Co they do. Alameda Co. is different. Or at least it used to be different. So I did the online course which was very easy.
Man I've had sooooo many tickets, in my life, that I don't think I've ever known anyone who's had as much as me. From impeding traffic ( cruising) to improper riding in a vehicle and so on. Don't lose sleep over it!

Quick Reply: First Speeding Ticket