IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Got my 2IS today

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-15, 12:04 AM
soloist3
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Got my 2IS today

Hello all, I got my 2008 IS350 with 41k miles today. It was a certified pre-owned Lexus, which means i likely have some time left on the warranty, which is nice, considering how much I paid for the car. I ended up getting it for $20,300, it's Smokey Gray Mica on Black with Nav. I absolutely love the car, it's the first car I can honestly say really competes well with my old Acura Legend. The other great thing, NOT a ding or scratch noticeable on the entire car...not even sure how that is possible, I mean, I'm sure I will find a scratch sooner or later (something I missed), but I haven't ever had a car this clean in my life.

I have been looking at these cars for about a year and a half now. I knew I couldn't afford one for some time, so I saved up money and finally now, bought one outright. I do have ONE QUESTION about the car. I was looking around for a fully loaded ML IS350 for so long, not because I like the sound system better, but for the DVD playback, thought it might add another dimension of entertainment to long drives (if even for the sound alone). Perhaps I should have waited for an ML equipped model, but I just couldn't, and this was too good of a deal to pass up. Naturally, I am curious to know if you can simply add the DVD changer from the ML model? There are a few available to me for pretty cheap, and I read somewhere that there is a simple harness that goes from the changer to the nav unit. Is it possible to swap out the CD for the DVD changer? If not, any real way of getting video into the nav screen, that way I could use my phone or an external portable DVD player. The DVD playing function was in no way a deal breaker for me, and to be honest I didn't want the problematic ML sub/speakers or the center channel speaker (I hate DSP that tries to force stereo audio into multi-channel format), but this would be something neat to add to an already amazing car.
Old 03-08-15, 07:23 AM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

Glad you like SGM 2IS!

About the DVD-playing function, you'd have to find an entire ML upper AND lower section to replace your current. Plus ensure it has ALL of the necessary wiring connecting everything in the rear of the unit. Or you can go with a less expensive aftermarket option, which give you more modern upgrades AND at a better price-point. One brand that seems to get a lot of attention is FlyAudio.
Old 03-08-15, 09:10 AM
soloist3
Driver

I see, that's what I was thinking, how would the stock unit know how to access the DVD player, seems it would need different firmware, makes sense that it would need the original Nav system. Any aftermarket solution that can provide a video input to the nav screen? I have read about the NAV-TV unit, but was hoping to get something cheaper that will allow me to have my phone screen show up on the nav monitor
Old 03-08-15, 10:10 AM
Cali2is
Advanced

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Welcome to the club. Nice find. I've had my '08 for 7 1/2 years and it has been a great ride. Enjoy!
Old 03-08-15, 01:40 PM
Keo
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Welcome to the Club. Personally I don't need any of the fancy stuff in the car. Basic and still luxury. In my opinion why risk your life on distractions. Its just in my opinion. Oh and stock stereo sounds good enough. I remember there's a thread of stock stereo sounding better than ML.

Look around the threads and search your answers.
I personally search on ClubLexus through Google haha.
This forum is so famous they even have members car pics showing as previews on ebay and etc.
Old 03-08-15, 02:25 PM
soloist3
Driver

Yep, that's why I didn't go the extra $2700 to get the ML model, I actually thought it might not be a good idea. Also, to be honest, taking the factory stereo out isn't something I even want to think about yet. I am just over excited about having a nav screen, thinking on the possibilities. I have a portable DVD player with audio out that I can use when/if I ever want to listen to Bonanza or one of the older shows I like on long trips. I was just curious...also, because someone offered me the lower DVD portion of the ML for an extremely cheap price.

I guess what I do want to know these days is, what sort of android or other video integration units are there out there? Half of the products I read about on this have links that are dead, and when I go to look for them on google, everyone is talking about them on forums but there is no actual place to buy them. So far "The Prestigious Society" nav lockout box is the only legit aftermarket mobiletronics goodie that seems to still exist, well that and the nav-tv, though paying nearly a thousand for a video input is not ever going to be in my future. I guess what I thinking about is that Japanese "Nav-TV" copy, that is actually reasonably priced. What are my options for reasonably priced video input?
Old 03-08-15, 04:50 PM
huyz13
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by soloist3
Yep, that's why I didn't go the extra $2700 to get the ML model, I actually thought it might not be a good idea. Also, to be honest, taking the factory stereo out isn't something I even want to think about yet. I am just over excited about having a nav screen, thinking on the possibilities. I have a portable DVD player with audio out that I can use when/if I ever want to listen to Bonanza or one of the older shows I like on long trips. I was just curious...also, because someone offered me the lower DVD portion of the ML for an extremely cheap price.

I guess what I do want to know these days is, what sort of android or other video integration units are there out there? Half of the products I read about on this have links that are dead, and when I go to look for them on google, everyone is talking about them on forums but there is no actual place to buy them. So far "The Prestigious Society" nav lockout box is the only legit aftermarket mobiletronics goodie that seems to still exist, well that and the nav-tv, though paying nearly a thousand for a video input is not ever going to be in my future. I guess what I thinking about is that Japanese "Nav-TV" copy, that is actually reasonably priced. What are my options for reasonably priced video input?
i've been looking at bluetooth options for my '09 and came across this solution from other forum members. in the end, i decided not to buy it because it wasn't that important to me. but it has some really cool features, it mirrors your phone to your nav screen. you can check the forum's classified section, think one member is selling his unit.

http://www.vaistech.com/site/iVIC-droid.php
Old 03-08-15, 04:58 PM
carlos3366
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

congrats. save your money, ISs destroy tires, you will need to replace them every two years, about 800 usd for all four.
Old 03-08-15, 05:11 PM
Tro209
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Awesome! Good to hear you got such a great deal

Hope you enjoy your car as much as I do mine!!
Old 03-08-15, 06:20 PM
Adidas316
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Congrats!! Im sure you already love driving the car. I enjoy every moment driving my IS350. Such a blast.
Old 03-08-15, 07:38 PM
MikeFoxx
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Crazy low miles... congrats
Old 03-08-15, 11:09 PM
soloist3
Driver

I can honestly say that this is already my favorite car out of everything I have driven, and I have driven A LOT of cars. I was stuck on Acura Legend's for some time, but honestly, this beats it in quality and performance. The best thing about the IS350 is that it is indeed a sleeper, looks amazing from the outside, AND is amazingly comfortable and high quality on the inside. The next step up from here can only be an IS-F, and to be honest, this things is plenty quick enough, so I can imagine having this for a LONG time, hence the reason I bought it at such low miles.