IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

2006 IS350 vs. 2008 IS350...Opinions and thoughts

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-15, 12:46 PM
leisinjp
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Default 2006 IS350 vs. 2008 IS350...Opinions and thoughts

Hey guys, I'm coming from a 2007 Acura TL Type S and am looking at either getting a 2006 or 2008 Lexus IS350. Are there any differences between the two from the factory or anything that any of you guys have noticed? I test drove both and the 2008 felt sooooo much tighter and smoother. I can't figure out if its a difference in services already done to them or what it might be. Both have right under 95,000 miles on them. And surprisingly the 2008 which felt much better had Falken tires compared to Goodyear tires on the 2006. Do any of you guys have any ideas or thoughts on what might be the difference? The guy with the 2008 is wanting $4,500 more than the 2006 and they both basically have the same mileage.
Old 03-01-15, 12:57 PM
davidma415
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

2008 you won't have to do pedal dance to turn off traction control. Also the reason it might feel tighter is because the steering was also adjusted in the 2008 model. Few exterior differences might be the liquid graphite 18s if they have em, the sharkfin antenna, and that's about as much as I can think of off the top of my head.
Old 03-01-15, 01:04 PM
leisinjp
Pole Position

Thanks man. I'm definitely wanting to get the car that I will enjoy in the long run but I just can't decide if I want to spend that much more money to get a car 2 years newer and with better feeling steering. I'm sure with the 4 grand that I would spend on the 08 I could make the 06 feel similar.
Old 03-01-15, 01:17 PM
getafewliv
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Putting in a 2012 ISF steering ECU may help with the feeling difference.

Personally, I would go with which you want more. Which is in better shape overall and has the features and colours you want.
Old 03-01-15, 02:05 PM
MikeFoxx
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

For much less than $4500 you could have that 06 running much better than the 08. Same mileage in a 2 year difference... as long as both were maintained well I'd still go with the 06. It always comes down to personal preference... but long term if you decide to resell the car... the mileage is always a topic. Again... less than $4,5000 you can take it above and beyond that 08. Upgraded steering ecu, damper, all bushings, coilovers, tires, sways, braces, and money left over for other stuff or push it on the principal.

My opinion if they are even playing fields from the gate... 06 if the only difference truly is $4,500 and 2 years.

But... at the same time just because 08 has the same mileage in 2 years less time doesn't mean it's bad. Very possible the previous owner took very good care of it if they drove a lot. I put on about 20k per year and my cars are mostly dealer maintained on or before schedule. I've never had any problems selling any of my previous cars at high mileage because I keep a folder with every receipt for each vehicle.

It's gonna come done to the package trim, the maintenance history, and the price....again if it's literally the same everything except price and year... 06 all the way.
Old 03-01-15, 02:15 PM
leisinjp
Pole Position

How much does an ISF Steering ECU run? Also how can I tell what packages the car has? The 06 doesn't have HID's and doesn't have nav, but has heated and cooled seats. The 08 has nav, heated and cooled seats, the lexus on the door panel lights up in blue and all that fancy stuff.
Old 03-01-15, 02:18 PM
leisinjp
Pole Position

Also the 06 felt much slower than the 08. On paper that isn't possible, and both are completely stock. But when I pushed the 08 it felt like it took off much faster and harder than the 06. Plus the 08 the guy said the first owner worked at toyota, who knows if he's telling the truth but would constant proper services make two cars with the same engines feel faster or actually make it faster? The thing that really scares me about the 06, is the guy said he doesn't know crap about cars and put the jumper cables on backwards and messed up the battery. Now all these lights are on on the dashboard but he keeps claiming that all it needs it to be reset by the dealer.
Old 03-01-15, 05:16 PM
MikeFoxx
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

^^^^^ uh based on this I'd go 08 lol. I wouldn't and haven't bought a car that had a dashboard lit up like a Christmas tree. You cant just take it to a dealer to make those go away unless you are paying to have them fix what's making them go on. End all communication with the 06 owner now lol ahahahaha save yourself. Sure you could just reset it.... but that just buys you time before they show up again without fixing the problem (s)

08 was possibly maintained much better making it feel more responsive. Others can chime in but I'm not aware of anything different other than the steering ecu that could change the "feel" in stock form.

Read through here before making a move on one:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-second-generation/572768-buyer-s-guide-to-used-lexus-2nd-gen-is-models-merged-buying-advise-threads.html

Last edited by MikeFoxx; 03-01-15 at 05:23 PM.
Old 03-01-15, 06:09 PM
Nixcision
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

by "feeling faster" did he have the ECT power switch on the 08? if so, throttle response feels improved... you dont actually go any faster, just feels better!
Old 03-01-15, 06:10 PM
leisinjp
Pole Position

Thanks for the opinion MIkeFoxx. I totally agree with you, it is just hard to convince myself to spend $16,500 on a 2008 with 94,000 miles on it. I totally get that if you maintain a lexus, it lasts a long time. But that much money on a car thats almost to 100,000 is hard to justify.
Old 03-01-15, 06:12 PM
leisinjp
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Nixcision
by "feeling faster" did he have the ECT power switch on the 08? if so, throttle response feels improved... you dont actually go any faster, just feels better!
I messed with both cars on normal and power mode and that 2008 just pulled hard and impressed me. The 2006 just made me think if thats it, I'll go with an is250.
Old 03-01-15, 06:32 PM
Ramjet44
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by leisinjp
Also the 06 felt much slower than the 08. On paper that isn't possible, and both are completely stock. But when I pushed the 08 it felt like it took off much faster and harder than the 06. Plus the 08 the guy said the first owner worked at toyota, who knows if he's telling the truth but would constant proper services make two cars with the same engines feel faster or actually make it faster? The thing that really scares me about the 06, is the guy said he doesn't know crap about cars and put the jumper cables on backwards and messed up the battery. Now all these lights are on on the dashboard but he keeps claiming that all it needs it to be reset by the dealer.
If it's so easy to fix the lights on the dash, why doesn't get it done, then he wouldn't have to explain it.
Putting the jumper cables on backwards can cause a lot of damage.
Maybe the spark plugs haven't been replaced on the 06.
You also won't have the pedal dance problem with the 08.
Old 03-01-15, 06:42 PM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

Over time, the cars learn the driver's driving styles. So if the '06 was previously driven slowly by a grandma, then it still be responding the same. I can tell you that my '06 was previously owned by a mature adult with a white dog; and after I reset the entire car thus forcing the car to relearn MY driving styles, it was like a completely different car. I don't know if having the '08 with the NAV and HIDs would be worth the extra 4500; but that's your decision to make. Either way, count yourself fortunate that you have TWO IS350s to choose from. Some cannot any to purchase in their area.
Old 03-01-15, 08:26 PM
leisinjp
Pole Position

I didn't know that, so if I buy the 06 and do a simple tune up and then drive it more spirited it will actually change? Or did I read that wrong?
Old 03-01-15, 08:28 PM
leisinjp
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Ramjet44
If it's so easy to fix the lights on the dash, why doesn't get it done, then he wouldn't have to explain it.
Putting the jumper cables on backwards can cause a lot of damage.
Maybe the spark plugs haven't been replaced on the 06.
You also won't have the pedal dance problem with the 08.
True. I'll just ask him to get the lights fixed before I buy it. If I do. I'm just hoping he won't take it to Autozone and have then reset it and be"fixed" for a week.

Quick Reply: 2006 IS350 vs. 2008 IS350...Opinions and thoughts