IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

2006 IS350 vs. 2008 IS350...Opinions and thoughts

Old 03-01-15, 09:38 PM
Tro209
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

When I bought my 06 I felt it was strong but not as strong as an 07 I had driven prior. Regardless I bought it because it had the Sport package and it was my ideal color combination (Tungsten Pearl, black interior ) And the previous owner had made a bypass switch off to the side of the steering wheel for the navigation and cut the red wire so I could watch DVDs while driving

So after some simple research on Club Lexus I found that I needed spark plugs as my car had over 80k miles when I bought it. So I changed the spark plugs, changed the air filters, and did a Royal Purple oil change and Bam!! The car felt so much better afterwards mostly after the sparks, and don't even get me started on my new S-04 Pole Position tires

So in short, I think your Lexus just has bad maintenance and is need of a serious Tune up quick. Aside from that there's not much more help I can offer except to make sure you pick the Color and trim package you like the most Good Luck! And hope to see you on the forums as a Member soon!!
Old 03-02-15, 09:41 AM
leisinjp
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Tro209
When I bought my 06 I felt it was strong but not as strong as an 07 I had driven prior. Regardless I bought it because it had the Sport package and it was my ideal color combination (Tungsten Pearl, black interior ) And the previous owner had made a bypass switch off to the side of the steering wheel for the navigation and cut the red wire so I could watch DVDs while driving

So after some simple research on Club Lexus I found that I needed spark plugs as my car had over 80k miles when I bought it. So I changed the spark plugs, changed the air filters, and did a Royal Purple oil change and Bam!! The car felt so much better afterwards mostly after the sparks, and don't even get me started on my new S-04 Pole Position tires

So in short, I think your Lexus just has bad maintenance and is need of a serious Tune up quick. Aside from that there's not much more help I can offer except to make sure you pick the Color and trim package you like the most Good Luck! And hope to see you on the forums as a Member soon!!
Thank you for the info! Typically with any car that I buy, I do a lot of simple services so I know exactly when they were done. I'm a bit picky about my car. And did you like the Pole Position tires?
Old 03-02-15, 06:44 PM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 292 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by Gville350
Over time, the cars learn the driver's driving styles. So if the '06 was previously driven slowly by a grandma, then it still be responding the same. I can tell you that my '06 was previously owned by a mature adult with a white dog; and after I reset the entire car thus forcing the car to relearn MY driving styles, it was like a completely different car.
I doubt this would change the "feel" of the car that much - ECU adaptation is relatively subtle. I would get the car that "feels" better or keep looking.
Old 03-02-15, 06:49 PM
leisinjp
Pole Position

Originally Posted by sktn77a
I doubt this would change the "feel" of the car that much - ECU adaptation is relatively subtle. I would get the car that "feels" better or keep looking.
Ok, thanks man. I'm also looking at 06 GS300. Do any of you have any opinions on the is350 vs the GS300 AWD??
Old 03-03-15, 07:58 AM
meine96ws6
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The IS & GS models are completely different. Weight, handling characteristics, power, and ride feel.
Old 03-03-15, 08:20 AM
Tro209
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by leisinjp
Thank you for the info! Typically with any car that I buy, I do a lot of simple services so I know exactly when they were done. I'm a bit picky about my car. And did you like the Pole Position tires?
Yeah the Pole Positions are great! I originally had the RE760 Potenza Sport tires on the car but I wanted a tire that could grip better so that I could launch the car with less wheel spin. Now with these the car grips great on launch with almost no wheel spin at all!!

Also I only swapped out the rears for now as I had only recently swapped out the two fronts for cheaper all seasons due to my bad luck with potholes

But I 100% recommend them and I will definitely be buying the fronts soon!
Old 03-03-15, 01:53 PM
leisinjp
Pole Position

Yeah, I'm not sure I like the lack of sportiness of the GS but I don't like the small backseat of the IS either. And about the tires, I guess for you that sounds like a good deal. I don't think I would be launching the car often haha. I tend to try to get the best MPG as possible.
Old 03-05-15, 10:27 AM
Tro209
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by leisinjp
Yeah, I'm not sure I like the lack of sportiness of the GS but I don't like the small backseat of the IS either. And about the tires, I guess for you that sounds like a good deal. I don't think I would be launching the car often haha. I tend to try to get the best MPG as possible.
Yeah I actually just recently purchased the lower air box from the F-Sport intake off Sewell before they closed. Sounds great above 3k RPM and WOT. Definitely much deeper sounding. So now my MPG's are suffering even more due to my sudden case of Lead Foot Syndrome lol
Old 03-05-15, 08:36 PM
leisinjp
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Tro209
Yeah I actually just recently purchased the lower air box from the F-Sport intake off Sewell before they closed. Sounds great above 3k RPM and WOT. Definitely much deeper sounding. So now my MPG's are suffering even more due to my sudden case of Lead Foot Syndrome lol

Nice man. What other places can we buy OEM parts from now?