IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

2006 IS 250 engine ruined

Old 02-28-15, 05:17 PM
NJCZBT
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006 IS 250 engine ruined

Was hoping for some input here (2006 is 250). I know allllll about the carbon buildup, I was having a lot of issues with the car running rough and misfires. I bring it to the Lexus dealer and they perform the TSB with no trouble. However the day I get the car back I drive it off the lot and had to turn right back around. There was a HORRIBLE smell of gas when I turned the heater on. They take the car and a couple days later say it was a pin hole leak that they fixed. All this happened in 2013

Alittle over 1 year later, my car starts having the same issues....running rough, idle dropping, only this time it also has a check engine light and check vsc. I bring it to the dealer they cant replicate the issue.
A week later it happens again, I bring it back same response.

2 weeks ago it started happening again so back to the dealer I go. A week goes by and I finally hear back from them, only this time they tell me the engine is dead, spark plugs got sucked into the engine and it is totally destroyed. And I have to either tow it out or pay them 5500 to fix. So I guess my question is has anyone had the tsb done TWICE? I dont think they did it right originally, as I only got at most 30,000 miles out of the car since their "fix"
Old 02-28-15, 09:57 PM
darkdream
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well the carbon build up is a life long engine problem. At 5500 to fix, that is like half the price of a is250 with probably the same mileage that you have. What is the mileage on your car?
Old 03-01-15, 07:16 AM
tomiv9
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Oh man sorry to hear. This is what I'm afraid of. I had the carbon fix done at 60k miles. I'm at 80k now and no issues yet but that fix always has me worried about the longevity of the engine.

Last edited by tomiv9; 03-01-15 at 08:02 AM.
Old 03-01-15, 09:00 AM
Ants350
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

That's some bull wow
Old 03-01-15, 12:41 PM
NJCZBT
Driver School Candidate

well tomorrow I the dealership is going to call me, apparently on monday they are going to "see what they can workout," so we shall see what happens. But I have probably 100k on the engine now? Even with a broke *** "fix" that the tsb is I would expect mroe than life out of it than that seeing as how its a total rebuild. I got a few other opinions from some mechanics around here, one of which is a lexus tech, and they all were quite surprised.
Old 03-01-15, 01:42 PM
dabIS
Rookie

Originally Posted by NJCZBT

2 weeks ago it started happening again so back to the dealer I go. A week goes by and I finally hear back from them, only this time they tell me the engine is dead, spark plugs got sucked into the engine and it is totally destroyed.
Huh??? Spark plugs sucked into engine? Oddest thing I've ever heard. Far more likely source of the problem is Lock Ness Monster effluent in your water coolant.
Old 03-02-15, 05:28 AM
NJCZBT
Driver School Candidate

I am assuming the carbon recall came with some type of warranty on the work they did correct?
Old 03-02-15, 07:46 AM
zen
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The first recall should be replace the piston/rings and short block if it has scratches on it. You already know that's not a permanent remedy. The second time and more, the dealer should perform top engine clean, to clean the carbon build up and that's about it. The TSB is covered for 9 yrs and unlimited mileage. Have you let them replaced the spark plugs ? if you did then there is something for you to argue since they messed up the job. I have never heard anything that sparks can be sucked into engine... it's a total BS.
Old 03-02-15, 08:14 AM
NJCZBT
Driver School Candidate

Actually yes my paperwork from what I had the TSB done originally states very clearly they changed the spark plugs on it
Old 03-02-15, 08:19 AM
anish3232
Driver

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by NJCZBT
Actually yes my paperwork from what I had the TSB done originally states very clearly they changed the spark plugs on it
Sounds like you have a case, if they point to spark plugs being loose, etc.
Old 03-02-15, 12:23 PM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Did you contact Lexus corp for the issue?
Old 03-03-15, 08:46 AM
NJCZBT
Driver School Candidate

I called the dealer yesterday and apparently they service manager had a family emergency or something, they should be back on wednesday. I have been holding off on calling corportate lexus until I hear what the dealer has to say but I just call them regardless.
Old 04-04-15, 05:46 PM
krava
Lead Lap

I have the same concern different car, I had my car done Sept 2013 I put 40K miles on it so far and nothing yet. I had 140K miles on it before I did it the first time. This is what is pushing me to get another car and try to save this thing to get as much life out of it as I can and use this car as a "beater" for road abuse and damage.
Old 04-06-15, 06:17 AM
eric618
Driver School Candidate

"Spark plugs sucked in" is the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard.
Old 04-06-15, 08:19 AM
RUCKER
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Lmfao.. These 250's are nothing more than buckets with a nice looking exterior. You never heard about this **** with the is300's.. Yet they scrapped them only to introduce the is250's as their replacements.

And spark plugs being sucked into the engine is absolutely hilarious. That's so damn off the wall, they must think you're a fool to pass that excuse off on you as a reason to scrap your motor and charge you for a whole new one.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2006 IS 250 engine ruined