Old member, (probably) new to Lexus

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-15, 02:26 PM
Gatriel
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Old member, now new to Lexus.

Hello everyone,

Well, after being a die-hard BMW guy for years now, my current golden-retriever of a car -- its time has come.

For those of you who are familiar with the e46 chassis, I had worked my way half through the basic required PM list, (vanos seals, valve cover gasket, DISA, spark plugs, engine purge, front and rear wheel bearings, fuel pump, etc., etc., other basic e46 stuff) and was chasing vacuum leaks and a crappy cold idle. I had replaced essentially all parts associated with the vacuum/idle issues -- just to pull the CCV (oil circulation system) apart today - to discover the dreaded "milkshake" -- e.g., the tell-tale sign of a failing/failed head gasket.

The motor needs the oil filter housing gasket to be replaced, tensioners and pulleys, oil pan gasket, new power steering tank, and another cooling system in 30k. Then there is suspension, braking, etc., etc., all to do without a garage and just jack stands and a jack.

Learning of the head gasket -- (which the PO did apparently and I am just now discovering it (it would also explain the crap idle and constant vacuum issues)) was/has been the last straw. I love this car, its fun to drive, looks great, and about as "German" as it gets here in Germany, but without a garage and a second car to do the maintenance & motor swap to this car that it really needs to keep going without leaving me on the side of the road, at this point in life, I just *cannot* justify it anymore. I am spending about $500 a month in parts -- and was going to be doing so for the foreseeable future (next 8-12 months) to get the car where I want it.

So the IS 350 never made it to Germany, and finding a manual G37 here -- it'd be easier finding MH370. As you can see, I have adopted a very Japanese taste, and my list is pretty limited. I need

- Small(er)
- 4 doors
- RWD
- Cheap(er) (saving for engagement ring, house, etc., etc.,)
- Something that "fits in" at work in the parking garage
- Reliable
- MT

And when you go through that list -- you get down pretty quick to the IS and the G. While I would love to go down to the local BMW Niederlassung and get myself thew M235i -- I cannot justify a 1.300€ per month car payment, and will not lease.

As soon as I get my garage, I'll be getting another e46 and starting the process over again, this time with a better example, but not as the DD, but as a "toy." The thought of selling the e46 (affectionately named "Hansi") is heart-breaking. As an American in Germany, making friends is difficult, and as sad as it sounds -- that car had developed a "golden-retriever" persona. Its stupid to get sentimentally attached to a car, but I am a car guy, and just cannot - not. I am sure a few of you guys can empathize.

Now if anyone is still reading this, my question is as follows;

What should I be watching out for on a 2IS? I have found a slick-top example that is otherwise completely loaded, comes with a 5 year 50k warranty (so 2 years of driving for me) for 12.590€. If memory serves me correctly, there was a brake dust issue (which IMHO isn't an issue at all, but whatever, I guess you Lexus guys have to call that sort of thing a "problem" ) and I want to say there was a motor issue with the IS350, but the 250 was a little tank. Thoughts or opinions on this?

Here is what I am gonna look at;

http://ww3.autoscout24.de/classified...461?asrc=fa|as

Yes, its in German, for those of you who can't read German (which I assume is 98% of you all) Google Translate is your friend if you want to do something other than look at the pictures.

Last edited by Gatriel; 03-06-15 at 06:01 AM.
Old 02-28-15, 03:15 PM
Ramjet44
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ggg05a
Hello everyone,

Well, after being a die-hard BMW guy for years now, my current golden-retriever of a car -- its time has come.

For those of you who are familiar with the e46 chassis, I had worked my way half through the basic required PM list, (vanos seals, valve cover gasket, DISA, spark plugs, engine purge, front and rear wheel bearings, fuel pump, etc., etc., other basic e46 stuff) and was chasing vacuum leaks and a crappy cold idle. I had replaced essentially all parts associated with the vacuum/idle issues -- just to pull the CCV (oil circulation system) apart today - to discover the dreaded "milkshake" -- e.g., the tell-tale sign of a failing/failed head gasket.

The motor needs the oil filter housing gasket to be replaced, tensioners and pulleys, oil pan gasket, new power steering tank, and another cooling system in 30k. Then there is suspension, braking, etc., etc., all to do without a garage and just jack stands and a jack.

Learning of the head gasket -- (which the PO did apparently and I am just now discovering it (it would also explain the crap idle and constant vacuum issues)) was/has been the last straw. I love this car, its fun to drive, looks great, and about as "German" as it gets here in Germany, but without a garage and a second car to do the maintenance & motor swap to this car that it really needs to keep going without leaving me on the side of the road, at this point in life, I just *cannot* justify it anymore. I am spending about $500 a month in parts -- and was going to be doing so for the foreseeable future (next 8-12 months) to get the car where I want it.

So the IS 350 never made it to Germany, and finding a manual G37 here -- it'd be easier finding MH370. As you can see, I have adopted a very Japanese taste, and my list is pretty limited. I need

- Small(er)
- 4 doors
- RWD
- Reliable
- MT

And when you go through that list -- you get down pretty quick to the IS and the G. While I would love to go down to the local BMW Niederlassung and get myself thew M235i -- I cannot justify a 1.300€ per month car payment, and will not lease.

As soon as I get my garage, I'll be getting another e46 and starting the process over again, this time with a better example, but not as the DD, but as a "toy." The thought of selling the e46 (affectionately named "Hansi") is heart-breaking. As an American in Germany, making friends is difficult, and as sad as it sounds -- that car had developed a "golden-retriever" persona. Its stupid to get sentimentally attached to a car, but I am a car guy, and just cannot - not. I am sure a few of you guys can empathize.

What should I be watching out for on a 2GIS? I have found a slick-top example that is otherwise completely loaded, comes with a 5 year 50k warranty (so 2 years of driving for me) for 12.590€. If memory serves me correctly, there was a brake dust issue (which IMHO isn't an issue at all, but whatever, I guess you Lexus guys have to call that sort of thing a "problem" ) and I want to say there was a motor issue with the IS350, but the 250 was a little tank. Thoughts or opinions on this?

Yes, its in German, for those of you who can't read German (which I assume is 98% of you all) Google Translate is your friend if you want to do something other than look at the pictures.
You should not get an IS250. It is slow and has the carbon build up issue. I can't think of any reason to get a 250. The 350 is a different ball game with great performance, probably better than your BMW. It had some issues which were covered buy recalls and didn't cost me anything. In fact they gave me $500 for the valve spring recall. I'm sure I'll get a lot of flack for this, but it's how I feel. I have an 07 IS350 that I bought new and hasn't cost me anything except for regular maintenance.
Old 02-28-15, 03:25 PM
Gatriel
Rookie

Originally Posted by Ramjet44
You should not get an IS250. It is slow and has the carbon build up issue. I can't think of any reason to get a 250. The 350 is a different ball game with great performance, probably better than your BMW. It had some issues which were covered buy recalls and didn't cost me anything. In fact they gave me $500 for the valve spring recall. I'm sure I'll get a lot of flack for this, but it's how I feel. I have an 07 IS350 that I bought new and hasn't cost me anything except for regular maintenance.
I would *love* to get an IS 350.

The problem is -- they never sold them here in the Fatherland.

Literally, the only way to get an IS 350 in "Europe" is to try and grab a stolen one from the US getting unloaded in Kaliningrad (Russia).
Old 02-28-15, 03:33 PM
Ramjet44
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would *love* to get an IS 350.

The problem is -- they never sold them here in the Fatherland.

Literally, the only way to get an IS 350 in "Europe" is to try and grab a stolen one from the US getting unloaded in Kaliningrad (Russia).
I'm sorry, I should have seen that in your post.
Old 02-28-15, 03:44 PM
Gatriel
Rookie

Originally Posted by Ramjet44
I'm sorry, I should have seen that in your post.
No worries dude. I did write an abridged version of War & Peace. I would have skipped most of the nonsense as well.
Old 02-28-15, 03:53 PM
laobo979
Lead Lap

Received 66 Likes on 47 Posts

Is250 a great daily car. As for the carbon built up issue it a hit or miss. My wife has the 250 08 with 110,000 now that we bought new. Not one issue with carbon issue and we only pump 93 Vpower from shells gas. Really low maintainence compared to E46 M3 as I had one too before I traded it for a is350. Only real issue we had on the car was alternator just went last month and I replaced that myself. Other than that brakes , oil, and filter really.
Old 02-28-15, 03:57 PM
Gatriel
Rookie

Originally Posted by laobo979
Is250 a great daily car. As for the carbon built up issue it a hit or miss. My wife has the 250 08 with 110,000 now that we bought new. Not one issue with carbon issue and we only pump 93 Vpower from shells gas. Really low maintainence compared to E46 as I had one too before I traded it for a is350. Only real issue with had on the car was alternator just went last month and I relace that myself. Other than that brakes , oil, and filter really.
Ok, so another e46 convert. I can pick your brain.

I *love* the way the e46 drives. I had an e60 before it, and it felt like a Tiger tank (had the same seals apparently -- different story for a different time), but the e46, IMHO is the best "drivers" car I have ever driven.

Would you say the 2IS is on par with the e46 as a "drivers" vehicle, or a bit below. From what I understand the IS is 55/45, which is a ways off from the 50/50 of the e46. Was this noticeable as a front heavy car, or did the ESP account for that?

I don't really track my car, but am ****-retentive about handling.
Old 02-28-15, 07:52 PM
TsunamiF
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

IS is actually 52:48 weight distribution. If you want a fun and great handling 2IS, you need to look into getting the F-Sport versions (either the 2011+ F-Sport Factory version or one equipped with the F-Sport Accessories Package). Both versions are a big step up from the base model in terms of handling:

Last edited by TsunamiF; 02-28-15 at 07:57 PM.
Old 02-28-15, 11:27 PM
Gatriel
Rookie

Originally Posted by TsunamiF
IS is actually 52:48 weight distribution. If you want a fun and great handling 2IS, you need to look into getting the F-Sport versions (either the 2011+ F-Sport Factory version or one equipped with the F-Sport Accessories Package). Both versions are a big step up from the base model in terms of handling:

http://youtu.be/Lyr3W3pUBGE
I would love an IS-F, but there are two limiting factors;

1) They never sold them in Germany (all we got was the IS 220d, which is prone to self-destrucing at some point between 75k and 11k, and the IS 250).

2) If I was going to spend $50k on a car, I'd get the M235i

Old 02-28-15, 11:34 PM
harper7
Pit Crew

Received 65 Likes on 40 Posts

I would love an IS-F, but there are two limiting factors;

1) They never sold them in Germany (all we got was the IS 220d, which is prone to self-destrucing at some point between 75k and 11k, and the IS 250).

2) If I was going to spend $50k on a car, I'd get the M235i

If they didn't sell IS F's in Germany then they sure imported alot and have a bunch of used ones for sale there....... http://suchen.mobile.de/auto/lexus-i...nt1.modelId=21
Old 02-28-15, 11:43 PM
Gatriel
Rookie

Originally Posted by harper7
If they didn't sell IS F's in Germany then they sure imported alot and have a bunch of used ones for sale there....... http://suchen.mobile.de/auto/lexus-i...nt1.modelId=21
I stand very, very corrected. Thank you for calling me out.
Old 03-02-15, 10:53 AM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Wow... thank for sharing your story! I'm glad I did not buy a bimmer in the first place because I don't want to spend 500/parts every few months lol and get stranded on the middle of the road. For a daily driver that offers top reliability, luxury in and out, and some fun to drive, IS is a well balanced car.

I have been happy with both my IS250 and IS350 for many years now. All I need is just basic oil change maintenance. Most of the money I spent on on modding for more fun to drive and more aggressive look

Anyways, I would advice you to go with the IS350 because:
1. You don't need to worry about the common carbon build up (big issue) on the IS250 especially older model.
2. It is so much quicker.
3. It has almost the same gas mileage as the IS250.
4. Maintenance wise, it is about the same cost like the IS250.

No matter which one you pick, I guarantee you that it is much more reliable than your current bimmer. I'm also attached to my cars as if they are my babies lol.

Brake dust issue is no issue, Lexus has the low dust formula. Or you can just go with Akebono ceramic pads which is literally DUSTLESS. You can drive many weeks and your wheels are still brand new.

The common issues with my 8 year old IS350 are:
1. Navigation screen going out (happen at 90k miles or 7 years+ later)
2. Alternator going out at 60k miles or so. hmmm, parts and labor fix for me was about $380.
3. Rear brake calipers going out at 90k miles ($250 for part and labor).

My 3 year old IS250 has no issue at all so far.

Last edited by FSportIS; 03-02-15 at 11:00 AM.
Old 03-02-15, 11:54 AM
Sleepy2is
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Fully loaded manual transmission is very hard to come by here in u.s but your coming for an e46 m3 in assuming you will be very disappointed in the power of the is250 it's very underpowered.
Old 03-03-15, 07:11 AM
GiantCow
Driver School Candidate

I'm also coming from a e46 and in the market for a IS250. Hopefully I'll be in one by the end of the month and can offer you some impressions.

Regarding carbon build up, someone else mentioned that the issue was resolved starting from the '11 models and onwards. I wasn't able to find anything definitive on this, does anyone know for sure?
Old 03-04-15, 08:45 AM
carlos3366
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Default minor probs w/my 250

Hello everyone,

- Small(er)
- 4 doors
- RWD
- Reliable
- MT

What should I be watching out for on a 2IS? I have found a slick-top example that is otherwise completely loaded, comes with a 5 year 50k warranty (so 2 years of driving for me) for 12.590€. If memory serves me correctly, there was a brake dust issue (which IMHO isn't an issue at all, but whatever, I guess you Lexus guys have to call that sort of thing a "problem" ) and I want to say there was a motor issue with the IS350, but the 250 was a little tank. Thoughts or opinions on this?

I haven't had any probs w/my 250. but I can tell you that ISs (250 & 350) have a problem with destroying the inner side of the tires. Usually the tires last about 2 yrs only, that's my only disappointment with the ISs. I would recommend is350 but since you don't have access the 250 should work, just be ready to spend money on tires, that's about it.

Quick Reply: Old member, (probably) new to Lexus