IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

IS350 atrocious in snow. PLEASE HELP

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-15, 09:19 AM
MamadIS
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I totally agree with OP, IS350 RWD is a dog in snow. Here is what I've done which helped quite a lot to be honest

1) get yourself some decent snow tires dont cheap out
2) add weight in your trunk ( i put my old suspension parts and 40 KG bags of salt in there ). this made quite a bit of difference). it will increase your gas mileage though.
3) pedal dance. this is the only way to turn traction off on 06 models
4) always drive in snow mode.

do all the above and you're golden.
Old 02-25-15, 10:34 AM
Lex_Giorgio
Instructor

Received 110 Likes on 92 Posts

I feel bad for people that are thinking of getting this car and that happen to stumble upon this thread...

Any ISx50 RWD is good in the snow and I'm sorry to say, but the people that are having issues fall under the following:
-#1: Don't have SNOW tires (All season's don't make the cut) Put Nokian tires and you will NEVER complain.
#2: Isn't a good driver

To the people that add weight in the trunk, this isn't a 1980's pick up truck! Cars are designed to move in this weather - especially an IS350 - without having to put salt bags in the trunk... If an FR-S that weights a lot less than our cars can move in the winter, an IS350 sure as hell can.

This is coming from someone that HAS winters tires (Nokian) and keeps the car in PWR ECT mode 24/7 and the trunk is empty not to mention I'm in Quebec, so we know what snowy/icy conditions really are.

Finally if someone is complaining, it comes back mostly to #1. Please don't compare an all season tire to a winter tire, that's like saying a Hyundai Elantra is the equivalent of an IS350.

And that same comparison can be used for a Nokian winter tire to any other winter tire. (Nokian being the IS350 and any other winter tire being the Elantra)

Last edited by Lex_Giorgio; 02-25-15 at 10:38 AM.
Old 02-25-15, 07:08 PM
xliftedx
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GeorgeR
Any ISx50 RWD is good in the snow and I'm sorry to say, but the people that are having issues fall under the following:
-#1: Don't have SNOW tires (All season's don't make the cut) Put Nokian tires and you will NEVER complain.
I'm pretty sure it has nothing to do with being a "good driver". Snow tires seem to make the difference, but nothing about pushing the gas and not being able to move has anything to do with driving skill. I guess you must be some all star race car driver who magically makes cars work better in the snow due simply to your elite driving prowess... props bro.
Old 02-25-15, 08:06 PM
laobo979
Lead Lap

Received 66 Likes on 47 Posts

I feel bad for people that are thinking of getting this car and that happen to stumble upon this thread...

To the people that add weight in the trunk, this isn't a 1980's pick up truck! Cars are designed to move in this weather - especially an IS350 - without having to put salt bags in the trunk... If an FR-S that weights a lot less than our cars can move in the winter, an IS350 sure as hell can.

This is coming from someone that HAS winters tires (Nokian) and keeps the car in PWR ECT mode 24/7 and the trunk is empty not to mention I'm in Quebec, so we know what snowy/icy conditions really are.

Finally if someone is complaining, it comes back mostly to #1. Please don't compare an all season tire to a winter tire, that's like saying a Hyundai Elantra is the equivalent of an IS350.

And that same comparison can be used for a Nokian winter tire to any other winter tire. (Nokian being the IS350 and any other winter tire being the Elantra)
Sorry to say but any and most snow tires will do a good job. Saying that nokian is all mighty God of tires isn't true cause that all you use. I've run cheap snow tires before and they perform the same. Put snow tires on the Elantra and it will stop and go on a steep hill cause of the fwd. Steep hill for a 350 RWD even on snow tires that Elantra will leave you behind. To the OP snow tires / traction off and knowing to drive the IS350 will get you threw the winter. Everybody live in a different area with different experience.

Last edited by laobo979; 02-25-15 at 08:09 PM.
Old 02-25-15, 09:49 PM
Lex_Giorgio
Instructor

Originally Posted by xliftedx
I'm pretty sure it has nothing to do with being a "good driver". Snow tires seem to make the difference, but nothing about pushing the gas and not being able to move has anything to do with driving skill. I guess you must be some all star race car driver who magically makes cars work better in the snow due simply to your elite driving prowess... props bro.
Every car reacts different in these conditions, you just have to get used to it. You can keep your foot down on a 3 series (possibly your 5 series as well) and the car will grip and go.

The IS doesn't drive like that, I know the 3 series (RWD) is better in the winter, I've had both. Just put good tires and learn the car, that's all I'm saying.

Some people think they can drive the car same way in winter than how they do in the summer. That's the point I'm trying to get across.

Originally Posted by laobo979
Sorry to say but any and most snow tires will do a good job. Saying that nokian is all mighty God of tires isn't true cause that all you use. I've run cheap snow tires before and they perform the same. Put snow tires on the Elantra and it will stop and go on a steep hill cause of the fwd. Steep hill for a 350 RWD even on snow tires that Elantra will leave you behind. To the OP snow tires / traction off and knowing to drive the IS350 will get you threw the winter. Everybody live in a different area with different experience.
You've clearly never tried a Nokian tire in the snow... once you do, your opinion will change. I used to think the way you do up until I went with Nokian.

Toyo, Yokohama, Bridgestone, Michelin < Nokian. Any ways, I won't argue this point anymore, I'm just writing this for the people that are thinking about getting this car and are worried about RWD in winter.

I highlighted the important part in your quote and more importantly the OP said he/she is having problems with ONE INCH of snow... so obviously it's not the car the problem...

Best of luck with your issues and that's my opinion.

Last edited by Lex_Giorgio; 02-26-15 at 08:29 PM.
Old 02-26-15, 12:54 PM
xliftedx
Driver School Candidate

Some people think they can drive the car same way in winter than how they do in the winter. That's the point I'm trying to get across.
Yea I definitely agree with that. The traction control turned off made all the difference, but you obviously have to be much more careful because you'll slide out really easy. But I can finally get momentum which is good.
Old 02-26-15, 08:22 PM
Lex_Giorgio
Instructor

Originally Posted by xliftedx
Yea I definitely agree with that. The traction control turned off made all the difference, but you obviously have to be much more careful because you'll slide out really easy. But I can finally get momentum which is good.
Try traction on with PWR ECT on. Forget snow mode, it does exactly what you were complaining about (slows you down when you actually need to MOVE).

FR-S is the same problem, Snow Mode works horribly in that car, you're better off leaving it in normal or sport mode.

It takes some getting used to, but you'll like it. Traction off on a slippery road at high speeds (i.e. highway) = danger...
Old 02-27-15, 07:48 AM
Mokey
Rookie

Even with snow tires (I still recommend you getting them) the traction control still gets in the way if you need to turn or go on an incline. I'm surprised Lexus hasn't done anything about this since it's a huge safety issue. You can get t-boned if you have to cross a highway and the damn traction control kills the power because of a little slip. I usually forget to do the pedal dance so i just press the traction off button (which will stay off until you hit 30mph). I use snow mode when going in a straight line because its easier to feather the gas pedal.
Old 02-27-15, 09:11 AM
Lex_Giorgio
Instructor

Originally Posted by Mokey
Even with snow tires (I still recommend you getting them) the traction control still gets in the way if you need to turn or go on an incline. I'm surprised Lexus hasn't done anything about this since it's a huge safety issue. You can get t-boned if you have to cross a highway and the damn traction control kills the power because of a little slip. I usually forget to do the pedal dance so i just press the traction off button (which will stay off until you hit 30mph). I use snow mode when going in a straight line because its easier to feather the gas pedal.
I'm wondering if that's only a problem with 2006 models... Since 2010 and 2011 models don't do lose power UNLESS it's in Snow Mode.
Old 02-27-15, 10:02 AM
jdubbsISF
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have an 06 350 as well. No problems in the snow. One of my first mods was buying the skid control ECU from an 07+. Now I can hold the traction off button for 5 seconds and everything is off! No need for the pedal dance anymore. Highly recommend it
Old 02-27-15, 10:45 AM
Mokey
Rookie

Originally Posted by jdubbs350
I have an 06 350 as well. No problems in the snow. One of my first mods was buying the skid control ECU from an 07+. Now I can hold the traction off button for 5 seconds and everything is off! No need for the pedal dance anymore. Highly recommend it
Really just plug and play? Any check engine lights?
Old 03-02-15, 12:45 PM
xliftedx
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jdubbs350
Yea I'm wondering how hard it is to install? What did you pay and where did you get it from?
Old 03-04-15, 03:38 PM
Cyanide52
Rookie

I weighed my 350s trunk down with about 4 bags of sand , I find it helps a lot
Old 03-05-15, 10:17 AM
Jaytea
Driver

1. Snow tires
2. 2 bags of TRACTION sand, not that regular sand. Reason is because traction sand has very low moisture. Meaning that in freezing weather, you can still take the bags of sand out and put under tires for added traction if you're stuck. Costs about 5 bucks a bag of 20 lbs. the sand also is a larger grit than regular sand for added traction. It's also a good idea to get carpet non slip pads, and place the bags on top of them on top of the axels. This will put downwards force on the wheels for more traction.

But like another poster said, don't cheap out on winter tires. They will save your life!
Old 03-20-15, 12:02 PM
mdesbiens
Driver School Candidate

Default Is 350 rwd

This is my 2nd Lexus IS RWD. The first winter, I got Blizzak winter tires and I replaced them after 2 months of winter in Montreal (Quebec). I got many frustrations and twice, I could not drive up a snowy street to pick up my son at daycare. I had to stop all the cars in the street and make a U-Turn. A friend recommended to try Nokian Tyres RSI (older Nokian Tyres). The car behave completely different.

Other AWD cars have much faster acceleration on snowy roads, but I do not see another gain in other situations (braking, curve, etc.). Also, we feel much more the road when it is slippery.

Just in case you think I don't know anything about AWD, I also own a SAAB XWD with Nokian Tyres on it. Yes, I can compare.

I agree with GeorgeR.

Quick Reply: IS350 atrocious in snow. PLEASE HELP