IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

aftermarket sub / amp help...

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-15, 07:45 PM
dubUang
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default aftermarket sub / amp help...

Hey guys I've had my after market setup for my car for a while now, but I just recently noticed that my sub would make a pop noise every time I turned off my car. I've got a lot of guys(friends or forum members) telling me that it's probably my ground for the amp. I was wondering where did the most of you guys ground your amp at?? I had mines grounded under the bolt on the stock amp after I sanded all the paint down.
Old 02-23-15, 10:36 PM
kumquatism
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have mine grounded in the spare tire well. I sanded down the area around a hole and secured it down with a bolt and locking nut. It does sound like your ground isn't very good though. Double check it and make sure the contact area is free of paint.
Old 02-24-15, 08:28 AM
dubUang
Rookie

Last night before I posted this thread I 're-sanded the Area I put my ground on and it still did the same thing. I'm looking for a new place to ground this morning. Did you also use tap the remote wire from the factory amp as well?? I tapped the Orange wire, I know some others had a red wire in their car, but I had the Orange one.
Old 02-24-15, 08:42 AM
teamisf
Driver School Candidate

Sounds like the amp discharging.. Relocate the ground to the inside of the spare tire area. Keep the ground cable short and bolted down tight. When you sand, sand until you see metal, not just faded paint color (I'm sure you do this).
Old 02-24-15, 10:27 AM
dubUang
Rookie

Right now I have the best ground connection I can possible get. I put it in the spare tire area and yes I sanded really well cleaned with alcohol as well. It still is doing this so I don't have anymore ideas..

I'm thinking remote is the only other thing..

where did u guys tap your remote?? Like I said earlier I tapped the Orange wire from the factory amp. Also when you turn off your head unit does your amp power off?
Old 02-24-15, 11:19 AM
teamisf
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by dubUang
Right now I have the best ground connection I can possible get. I put it in the spare tire area and yes I sanded really well cleaned with alcohol as well. It still is doing this so I don't have anymore ideas..

I'm thinking remote is the only other thing..

where did u guys tap your remote?? Like I said earlier I tapped the Orange wire from the factory amp. Also when you turn off your head unit does your amp power off?
Under almost all circumstances, remote is a blue or blue/white wire. Orange is usually for illumination (I believe) which could be why your amps turn off when the head unit is turned off.
Old 02-24-15, 01:35 PM
dubUang
Rookie

My amp doesn't turn off when my head unit powers off. My amp turns off when my ignition turns off. I have a 06 is350 I know there's different color remotes on difference years I believe some people don't even have a orange wire on their stock amp. They have a red wire or something I forgot it's been a long time since I read the installation diy someone did.
Old 02-24-15, 02:47 PM
teamisf
Driver School Candidate

My amp doesn't turn off when my head unit powers off. My amp turns off when my ignition turns off. I have a 06 is350 I know there's different color remotes on difference years I believe some people don't even have a orange wire on their stock amp. They have a red wire or something I forgot it's been a long time since I read the installation diy someone did.
So to be clear, you're trying to listen to your system with the motor off but ignition on? Like you're chilling in a parking lot eating drive thru and listening to music.
Old 02-24-15, 04:26 PM
dubUang
Rookie

What I'm trying to do is find out why I'm getting a pop from my sub when I turn off the car. Engine doesn't have to be on doesn't matter as long as I turn off my car I'll get a little pop from my sub. Not loud or anything just a little pop if car goes on to off. It doesn't pop on start up only shut off. Checked remote it gets 12v with car on and 0v with car off, so it's a working remote. I tried a bunch of rewires today I'm stumped.
Old 02-24-15, 07:47 PM
teamisf
Driver School Candidate

What I'm trying to do is find out why I'm getting a pop from my sub when I turn off the car. Engine doesn't have to be on doesn't matter as long as I turn off my car I'll get a little pop from my sub. Not loud or anything just a little pop if car goes on to off. It doesn't pop on start up only shut off. Checked remote it gets 12v with car on and 0v with car off, so it's a working remote. I tried a bunch of rewires today I'm stumped.
Damn... With a good ground and a verified remote, leaves power wire, rca's and amp. Have you tried calling a local shop and asking them? Its a troubleshooting situation now, swap out the rca cables, then power wire and hopefully one of those work, if not, swap amps and see. Keep us posted...
Old 02-26-15, 08:58 AM
dubUang
Rookie

Switched up the wiring for my DSP and it fixed everything. Instead of having remotes in the lc6i, I used its signal sensing to turn it on and ran a straight remote to my amp from my factory amp. Fixed now.
Old 02-26-15, 11:50 AM
Nixcision
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

interesting. any time I turn my car "on" I get a soft, punctual thump as if to tell me the sub is "on" lol. Its been like this since day one and seems like a grounding issue, but I've never gotten around to fixing it. Its been almost 1.5 years now.
Old 02-26-15, 01:23 PM
mzgt003
Driver School Candidate

I have sometimes noticed that when a remote wire is in close proximity with a ground wire a low rumbling can be heard.

Question: Did you tap into the front, rear, or both speakers to get the audio signal? I use a two channel Line Out Converter tapped into the two rear left and right mid woofers in the doors. If I select the "rear pos" speaker program the amplifier gets a lot of power, if I use "all" or "front" the signal is very weak. I know that tapping into the two front door woofers will get me the power with sound focused on the front, but will I get the best result if I tap into the front for one channel and the back for the other?

Thanks,
Z