IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Sewellparts.com closing (merged Sewell Parts alternatives threads)

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-15, 10:35 PM
LexoticJ
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 43 Posts

damn this sucks
Old 02-19-15, 05:08 AM
diablo2184
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

anyone get the inside scoop?
Old 02-19-15, 05:22 AM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 409 Likes on 337 Posts

I wonder why they're shutting it down? My dealership charges way more for parts than any other Lexus dealership does. Sewell's prices are hard to beat.

There are a few alternatives like Carson Toyota, Elmhurst Toyota, and a few of the big Lexus dealerships' online stores. I think Lexus of Atlanta was the dealership I saw with good online prices.
Old 02-19-15, 05:27 AM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Kira X
I wonder why they're shutting it down? My dealership charges way more for parts than any other Lexus dealership does. Sewell's prices are hard to beat. There are a few alternatives like Carson Toyota, Elmhurst Toyota, and a few of the big Lexus dealerships' online stores. I think Lexus of Atlanta was the dealership I saw with good online prices.
no one else has the deals and discounts like Sewell. they have been part of our community since inception. If the above posts are true then it boils down to business and the other dealers of course might see there losing money. if you can still get the same deal in store then nothing changes for the local members only us in different states.
Old 02-19-15, 06:34 AM
oblivionis
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Slammer1
I just logged in to look up thermostat and water pump prices (not heat from the vents at idle but plenty at 1,500 rpm).
Did you check your coolant level? Same thing was happening to me. After I brought the coolant to the proper level, the issue went away.
Old 02-19-15, 06:41 AM
oblivionis
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Nixcision
I knew something was up when I (and some other non-US members) tried ordering some parts (to Canada in my case). Just last summer I ordered some exhaust tips from them with no problems, and just a months ago when I went to order a grille, they no longer had a selector to choose country to ship to... only US was available... no longer Canada*.

As it turns out, many Lexus dealerships were complaining that Sewell was undercutting them by stealing business because of the discounted cost for common items. These complaints created restrictions on products which included shipping outside the continental USA. Now I'm assuming that wasn't enough, and finally they were pressured to close down.

It seems silly that something like this would happen, but as I can see from the posts above, there aren't many alternatives to the almighty SewellParts, making them a target for stealerships alike.

*To fix this issue, I used shipito . com to forward my stuff to Canada.
The funny thing is that, because of their discounts I bought things from them that I wouldn't otherwise buy. Things like sport pedals, etc that I didn't really need but thought they were worth the price Sewell was charging. I would not buy them at full price. So I think in that respect Lexus is loosing out by Sewell parts being closed.
Old 02-19-15, 06:44 AM
heyarms
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 17 Posts

Wow this is really unfortunate. Glad yall posted about it, guess i need to order some odds and ends while i still can...
Old 02-19-15, 07:02 AM
my07is350
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Other dealers must be complaining about their discount prices to CL members to Lexus corporate who force them to close up that department, wonder if that's the reason we haven't heard from Darrel Diller in a while.
Old 02-19-15, 07:12 AM
knguyenk
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I noticed last week that they were not accepting new registrations for an account on their website when I was logging in. I didn't think too much of it since I usually go to my particular year IS and avoid their main page all together. That's so unfortunate if they had to close their online store because of being competitive in pricing.
Old 02-19-15, 07:52 AM
ExVOLVxE
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by oblivionis
The funny thing is that, because of their discounts I bought things from them that I wouldn't otherwise buy. Things like sport pedals, etc that I didn't really need but thought they were worth the price Sewell was charging. I would not buy them at full price. So I think in that respect Lexus is loosing out by Sewell parts being closed.
How is it known that they were pressured by corporate?
That seems fishy to me because it violates the very core of a free market economy and the laws to enforce it....I am no expert, but it smells funny to me...
Old 02-19-15, 07:54 AM
ExVOLVxE
Driver School Candidate

I meant to quote Nixcision and NOT oblivion's...by bad
Old 02-19-15, 08:05 AM
CMACE23
Driver School Candidate

Selling grey market parts maybe? Lexus caught wind and stopped it maybe? I'm just assuming that could be the case no evidence to support that.

Last edited by CMACE23; 02-19-15 at 08:14 AM.
Old 02-19-15, 08:12 AM
stlgrym3
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

i wonder if just the online shop closing down or the entire Sewell Lexus parts. wonder if we can still phone in for orders. on the bright side we can all sell our F-Sports goodies we bought from them for higher price now to the newbies, j/k
Old 02-19-15, 08:39 AM
355F1
Racer

Received 596 Likes on 382 Posts

Hey guys (and gals),

I just got off the phone with Sewell's Internet Parts department. They are still going to continue to offer phone orders for parts; however, there are no more online orders or steep discounts after March 1, 2015

I drive 30k miles/year and they have made maintenance on my IS so affordable. This really is a HUGE blow to all of us.

They told me that Lexus wants the dealers in "your" area to handle your OEM Lexus parts needs. I had to say I am not terribly surprised.

Sewell told me there will still be a small discount on phone orders...but they still haven't decided what it will be. I am guessing they are waiting for authorization from Lexus NA.

I am also interested in any other online Lexus/Toyota parts dealers that offer substantial discounts for parts if anyone has any they have used.

Perhaps this thread should be a sticky since Sewell has always been such an integral part of this website?
Old 02-19-15, 08:51 AM
MikeFoxx
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

I had to go to the site to see it for myself... looks like I'll make one last solid order

Like most I also had a drawn out plan for specific items to purchase down the road at specific times. This is def a major blow to the build. The discounts made buying some of the higher cost items not available on Sewell a little easier to take the hit on.

Quick Reply: Sewellparts.com closing (merged Sewell Parts alternatives threads)