IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

07' is350 need mod help : Headers or a shot of NOs?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-15, 06:54 PM
maticcis
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation 07' is350 need mod help : Headers or a shot of NOs?

Hello club Lexus members,
I have had my 07 is350 for 3 awesome years now and I love this car to death. Only thing that's a bummer is its lack of modification possibilities for the engine. I have heard 1000x to "just upgrade to an IS-F" so please save that comment.

My is350 has the joe-a intake, LMS true duel exhasut, which sounds nice and is a little tiny power gain, but after two years of the same mods I'm looking for a change. I have done a little reasherch on other options for power gains and it seems like besides spending a few grand on a supercharger my only other options are the PPE headers and a 50-75 shot of Nitrous oxide from a company like Zex with there universal kit. They both cost relatively the same amount but I'm not sure how install would be on either product. I was wondering if anyone had opinions on NOS and for that matter who could install a kit to properly in Southern California (Orange County) without me having to worry about my engine blowing up . Or how people have liked a set of high flow headers on there car

Any help would be appreciated folks.
Thanks,
MATICCIS

Last edited by maticcis; 02-13-15 at 06:59 PM.
Old 02-14-15, 09:53 AM
maticcis
Rookie

Bump for some help!
Old 02-14-15, 04:32 PM
stewb10
Driver

Depends on what you want man.

Headers -> 15whp always on, all the time, no maintenance, safe, foolproof.

Nitrous -> 50whp or more, only available at WOT when activated, have to refill bottles. More dangerous, but if installed correctly and with all the correct failsafes, can be safe as well. If you go this route, make sure to have it installed by someone who knows what they are doing, and don't cheap out on the kit.
Old 02-14-15, 07:00 PM
Gville350

Received 429 Likes on 383 Posts

I'd go the header + NOS option personally.
Old 02-14-15, 07:40 PM
maticcis
Rookie

Originally Posted by stewb10
Depends on what you want man.

Headers -> 15whp always on, all the time, no maintenance, safe, foolproof.

Nitrous -> 50whp or more, only available at WOT when activated, have to refill bottles. More dangerous, but if installed correctly and with all the correct failsafes, can be safe as well. If you go this route, make sure to have it installed by someone who knows what they are doing, and don't cheap out on the kit.
Gotcha, for headers would you recommednnd any other company besides PPE?
Also what nitros oxide company would you consider buying? And what would a complete "safe" kit contain?

Originally Posted by Gville350
I'd go the header + NOS option personally.
That's the plan sooner or later, I Justine to take my moving slow and enjoy each one
Old 02-14-15, 07:52 PM
Sylvan
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

when shopping for nitrous or looking for a shop to instal it you might want to avoid calling it "NOS" if you want to be taken seriously
Old 02-14-15, 11:59 PM
stewb10
Driver

Also, spelling install correctly would help with being taken seriously as well.

Headers: PPE, OBX (PPE clone)

Nitrous: I've seen a few guys running ZEX blackout kits. You'll want a wet kit for our cars. As far as building a safe kit, thats a rabbit hole and I'm not a nitrous expert. A couple off the top of my head are a WOT trigger and fuel pressure cutoff.
Old 02-15-15, 12:28 AM
badx33
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

I'd go with PPE Headers and maybe get a midpipe or have a custom one made. There's also the option of getting some carbon fiber parts. Lighter rotors and calipers, wheels.
Old 02-15-15, 01:55 AM
maticcis
Rookie

Also, spelling install correctly would help with being taken seriously as well.

Headers: PPE, OBX (PPE clone)

Nitrous: I've seen a few guys running ZEX blackout kits. You'll want a wet kit for our cars. As far as building a safe kit, thats a rabbit hole and I'm not a nitrous expert. A couple off the top of my head are a WOT trigger and fuel pressure cutoff.
I do not see the spelling error but I appreciate your adivce a lot. It sounds like I should just go with the safe bet and go with the headers and see how I like them.

Originally Posted by badx33
I'd go with PPE Headers and maybe get a midpipe or have a custom one made. There's also the option of getting some carbon fiber parts. Lighter rotors and calipers, wheels.
I'm thinking headers are the right choice as well, and I already have a full cat back exhaust, but what rotors would you suggest going with?
Old 02-15-15, 07:54 AM
ChickenIS
Pole Position

headers all the way. No danger of blowing up your engine. If it has to be one of those 2.

Good suspension mods will help with your feelings too.
Old 02-15-15, 08:36 AM
stewb10
Driver

Originally Posted by maticcis
I do not see the spelling error but I appreciate your adivce a lot. It sounds like I should just go with the safe bet and go with the headers and see how I like them.

I'm thinking headers are the right choice as well, and I already have a full cat back exhaust, but what rotors would you suggest going with?

I wasn't referring you, I was referring to Sylvan not spelling install correctly. His post was rude and unproductive, IMHO.

As far as Rotors, the only thing that will really help are 2PC rotors. Expensive and rare. Thought about getting some Enkei RPF-1?

Or even better, if you're just looking for more of a fun factor, get the F-sport Rear sway if you haven't yet. Cheap easy mod that you can actually feel. Improves high speed cornering and makes the car more "tossable".
Old 02-15-15, 09:33 AM
maticcis
Rookie

I wasn't referring you, I was referring to Sylvan not spelling install correctly. His post was rude and unproductive, IMHO.

As far as Rotors, the only thing that will really help are 2PC rotors. Expensive and rare. Thought about getting some Enkei RPF-1?

Or even better, if you're just looking for more of a fun factor, get the F-sport Rear sway if you haven't yet. Cheap easy mod that you can actually feel. Improves high speed cornering and makes the car more "tossable".
Aahh, yea I see. I just tend to not pay attention to the rude people, as there tend to be a lot of them on these types of fourms.
But! As far as the enkai's I already have a set of rims that I enjoy so I haven't thought about a new set of shoes yet .
The sway bar is a great idea for handeling preformance and That may be the route I end up taking, I was just going into this looking for some engine preformance gains.....but I guess this is just the wrong car for that in the end
Old 02-15-15, 11:21 AM
Nixcision
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I always thought dry nitrous setups were safest? I know for a fact that they tend to be easier to install though!
But safety wise, headers. Labour cost is a potential speed bump as I'm assuming you won't be installing them yourself?
Old 02-15-15, 04:28 PM
srt1
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Arent shorty, or any, headers need to be CA compliant???? If so you're outta luck, unless you got that hook up man.
Old 02-15-15, 05:11 PM
maticcis
Rookie

Originally Posted by srt1
Arent shorty, or any, headers need to be CA compliant???? If so you're outta luck, unless you got that hook up man.
Aftermarket headers, intake and exhaust are all "for race use only" but let's be honest that's bull**** haha its for my daily use. The only thing I could see being an issue is that since I have a true duel exhaust already with no cats or resonators that getting the high flow headers will make my car smell like smog everywhere I go

Originally Posted by Nixcision
I always thought dry nitrous setups were safest? I know for a fact that they tend to be easier to install though!
But safety wise, headers. Labour cost is a potential speed bump as I'm assuming you won't be installing them yourself?
Correct, with something like headers I would rather get someone to do it correctly they try to fudge it myself

Quick Reply: 07' is350 need mod help : Headers or a shot of NOs?