IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Sewell Headlamps Kit

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-15, 09:15 PM
RXISF
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Sewell Headlamps Kit

Hey Everyone - I know there have been a couple of threads on this already, but I just want to double check one thing before spending so much money. In Sewells responses below they say you cannot disable the daytime running light and just have the LED strip run during the day. Can a few of you who have done this verify for me that you were able to disable the halogens?

1st response from Sewell:
Thanks for writing. For the LED headlight kit, there are some things of note beyond the details listed online…

1. the kit does not require any other hardware to install…plug and play.
2. the lights work in concert with the LED strips – all on or all off. LED are not DRL.
3. vehicles equipped with AFS will lose this function. Auto-leveling is unaffected. A blinking AFS light is remedied by pulling either the dash bulb or fuse.
4. the lights are controlled by the switch stalk – “on” or “off”. AUTO is not used.
5. these are new OEM Lexus LED headlamps from the 2012 model year.
6. the look is exactly like the newer LED IS front ends – sleek and cool.

Sorry, but there are no documented installation instructions available from Lexus. These lamps will install in the exact opposite fashion that the original lamps are removed.

My second question:
Thanks. If you have the Lexus dealership disable DRL – won’t the LED strip work on its own during the day?

Sewells Answer:
Unfortunately not. We have heard rumors that rewiring has been done to achieve this, but we do not have verification of such, nor do we know how that would be done.

Best regards,

Sewell Parts Team
Old 02-09-15, 01:03 AM
ISland350
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I had to go to my dealer to have the DRL halogens disabled...and I had my LEDs wired to the ignition
Old 02-09-15, 06:04 AM
Deathrow23
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

does anyone have the location for the fuse for AFS? i tried seraching but couldnt find it. been dealing with the light blinking since 2012. lol.
Old 02-09-15, 06:34 AM
Sean
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm not sure about the fuse, but to retain auto-leveling I taped over the light after removing and disassembling the cluster. It really wasn't too bad taking me under an hour while being extra careful.
Old 02-09-15, 10:31 AM
jdubbsISF
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Deathrow23
does anyone have the location for the fuse for AFS? i tried seraching but couldnt find it. been dealing with the light blinking since 2012. lol.
I pulled my fuse in a few seconds. You lose the auto levelling. It's located under the driver side dash - I don't remember the exact fuse number but look in the owners manual, it tells you the exact one.

CAUTION: Pull the fuse with the car running, and no extra weight in the car (that means you sit outside the car and reach in without putting your hand on the floor for balance). If you put weight on the car, it will adjust your headlights to compensate. If the car is running, it will remember that position forever. I originally pulled the fuse with the car off and when I started it, the lights were stuck pointed at the sky.
Old 02-09-15, 10:48 AM
Deathrow23
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jdubbs350
I pulled my fuse in a few seconds. You lose the auto levelling. It's located under the driver side dash - I don't remember the exact fuse number but look in the owners manual, it tells you the exact one.

CAUTION: Pull the fuse with the car running, and no extra weight in the car (that means you sit outside the car and reach in without putting your hand on the floor for balance). If you put weight on the car, it will adjust your headlights to compensate. If the car is running, it will remember that position forever. I originally pulled the fuse with the car off and when I started it, the lights were stuck pointed at the sky.
lol. glad you figured it out.
Old 02-11-15, 09:31 PM
STARBWOY
Driver School Candidate

What hes saying isnt rite ive seen ppl with lLED STRIO for DLR and AUTO switch doesn't work -___- so u constantly have to turn your lights on when it gets dark out and turn them off if not by turning the car off but turning it off the next day .....useless
Old 02-12-15, 05:55 AM
ICU2
Pole Position

Install the relay mod and your LED lights will be on whenever you start the car and dim when it's night time. The auto function will also still work so you can just leave the stalk to auto.