IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Need help to diagnose car please!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-15, 06:23 PM
crapoud
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help to diagnose car please!!!

Here's my situation: On black Friday I drove to work when I noticed a jerk (like someone bumped me from behind) coming to a stop. Happens braking or not so long as I'm coming out of 2nd into 1st. Only way around it is by sticking it in N. I take it to the dealer and they replace pistons (tsb recall) thinking that will solve it but no luck. Then they tell me its throwing a code for Shift Solenoid B Performance and that it needs a new transmission (3,100 best they can do). I just got it done elsewhere for cheaper (car has been sitting for a while but I start it twice a week). But I still have the same issue of a bump(less harsh as before new tranny) after install. Do I need to code new tranny? What am I missing here? Car does throw vsc and trac light but it was doing that way before this issue. Thanks for any help!
Old 02-05-15, 06:57 PM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

First thing first, take the car back to the place that "fixed" it. Have them drive it to experience the same issue reoccurring.
Old 02-05-15, 07:36 PM
crapoud
Driver

I did. He said to have the transmission flashed by Lexus. He thinks that its married to the old transmission which is why its shifting in the same point. Thanks for quick response.
Old 02-05-15, 07:59 PM
LucianoLee
Driver

I think I'm having that bumping issue too....
Old 02-05-15, 08:03 PM
crapoud
Driver

Sorry to hear that Lucianolee. Let me know if you solve this issue.
Old 02-05-15, 08:15 PM
LucianoLee
Driver

But mine is when I was cruising at 6th gear, 70mph tho..sometime the car jerks a little. But I can for sure feel it tho... trying to reset the ECU tomorrow
Old 02-07-15, 02:59 PM
crapoud
Driver

I'm still fishing for some clues people. anyone? torque converter? Flash? Not enough fluid? What controls the shift timing? Thanks
Old 02-08-15, 12:06 PM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

You paid the shop to fix your shifting issue, and now AFTER a "new" trans they're saying they cannot fix the root of the issue? Did you just tell said shop to replace the trans, or did they actually diagnosis the issue as the trans and then recommended it to be replaced?
Old 02-08-15, 12:18 PM
FastTags
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sounds like transmission problem to me. Did you see them take out the old tranny?

I am old school, i go by a rule, dont fix until it breaks! So I probably wouldnt do anything until it breaks, simply bc you cannot diagnose it 100%!

Just my 02

Last edited by FastTags; 02-08-15 at 12:21 PM.
Old 02-08-15, 12:20 PM
FastTags
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Gville350
You paid the shop to fix your shifting issue, and now AFTER a "new" trans they're saying they cannot fix the root of the issue? Did you just tell said shop to replace the trans, or did they actually diagnosis the issue as the trans and then recommended it to be replaced?
Exactly if you paid to fix the shifting issue they should either isuue a refund or fix the problem. If you just asked them to replace the tranny, you out of luck.

Another possibility torque converter, rear differential, I would start with flushing the fluid and replacing spark plugs!

Last edited by FastTags; 02-08-15 at 12:33 PM.
Old 02-08-15, 12:36 PM
FastTags
Lexus Test Driver

Maybe reset the transmission controller. I would start with little stuff first, plugs, fluid then go to heavy stuff
Old 02-08-15, 12:37 PM
FastTags
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by crapoud
I did. He said to have the transmission flashed by Lexus. He thinks that its married to the old transmission which is why its shifting in the same point. Thanks for quick response.
That could be it. Every time you replace transmission you need to restet the controler.
Old 02-08-15, 01:06 PM
xhackr
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Gville350
^^^ This.

This is THEIR problem, not yours or Lexus. Moreover, once someone else touches it, they sound like they'll blame them. Don't let them shoulder shrug and finger point... and certainly, don't give them more opportunity to do that. If you have to, hold their feet to the fire.

Last edited by xhackr; 02-08-15 at 01:10 PM.
Old 02-08-15, 02:30 PM
crapoud
Driver

Thank you for all the responses. Yes I'm SOL when it comes to holding anyone responsible since I only paid the mech to install the tranny. I was going off what lexus told me. So far I hear what I'm hearing from this chat is possible flash may solve or torque converter. Both I will bring up with lexus SA when I go to see if they can flash. Any other suggestions that I can take? Thanks.
Old 02-08-15, 03:02 PM
darkdream
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Rule of thumb is NEVER to ask a mechanic to do a certain job (non maintenance job), tell them your problem and let them fix it.

Quick Reply: Need help to diagnose car please!!!