IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

I know that tire wear is an issue with the 350, same problem with the 250?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-15, 10:35 PM
smokyis350
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LucianoLee
Correct! One of my friends has a shop, so I get that done for free. That's the only reason why I was doing it

Nice that is the way to do it but it would cost me $100 to mount/unmount for all 4 tires each time.
Old 02-02-15, 06:51 AM
redspencer
OG Member

Received 529 Likes on 314 Posts

As mentioned on a previous post, you'll need the Figs LCA polyurethane bushings to greatly reduce the front inner tire wear which is a common problem to all 2IS models.

Old 02-02-15, 06:57 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

strangely i never had abnormal tire wear on my 2IS, only when my alignment went bad but it was correctable. Getting 25k out of tires
Old 02-02-15, 08:27 AM
smokyis350
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
strangely i never had abnormal tire wear on my 2IS, only when my alignment went bad but it was correctable. Getting 25k out of tires
25k on tires mean you have alignment problems. Most tires are rated for 50k miles.
Old 02-02-15, 08:52 AM
jgr4444
Driver School Candidate

working at a tire shop for 6 years... with proper rotation, fronts straight back and rears cross on the way up every 6-8k, you should have no problem getting 45-50k miles on a decent tire. Continental DWS's are nice, Yokohama makes a nice tire, pretty much any Michelin as long as it isn't stock... all great choices. The stock Michelins are made to go out within 25-30k or at least they use to, the auto makers actually thought that people would come back to the stealership to buy tires.... that was obviously disproved.
Old 02-02-15, 08:52 AM
jgr4444
Driver School Candidate

additionally, IMHO, stay away from Bridgestone, they are a great performance tire but they are made so hard that they wear way to quick..... just my 2 cents
Old 02-02-15, 08:53 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by smokyis350
25k on tires mean you have alignment problems. Most tires are rated for 50k miles.
not unidirectional staggered summer tires that you cant rotate. Wear was even all around
Old 02-02-15, 08:59 AM
jgr4444
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
not unidirectional staggered summer tires that you cant rotate. Wear was even all around
well I think this should just be understood for anyone complaining about tire wear with a staggered setup...
Old 02-02-15, 09:34 AM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jgr4444
working at a tire shop for 6 years... with proper rotation, fronts straight back and rears cross on the way up every 6-8k, you should have no problem getting 45-50k miles on a decent tire. Continental DWS's are nice, Yokohama makes a nice tire, pretty much any Michelin as long as it isn't stock... all great choices. The stock Michelins are made to go out within 25-30k or at least they use to, the auto makers actually thought that people would come back to the stealership to buy tires.... that was obviously disproved.
Yeah, you are right. I have DWS (all season tires) and very happy with it on daily driving because it is very comfortable and quiet. However, DWS performs bad on autocross where I push it hard. The traction is just not there compared to dedicated summer tires.

I actually like Hankook V12 summer tires because it grips so much more better on autocross and still comfortable and quiet on daily driving. From your experience, what other tires beside Hankook v12 perform well on both autocross and still comfortable for daily driving?

Many IS have staggered set up where rotation is not possible. I can't rotate tires on both my cars .
Old 02-02-15, 09:55 AM
jgr4444
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by FSportIS
Yeah, you are right. I have DWS (all season tires) and very happy with it on daily driving because it is very comfortable and quiet. However, DWS performs bad on autocross where I push it hard. The traction is just not there compared to dedicated summer tires.

I actually like Hankook V12 summer tires because it grips so much more better on autocross and still comfortable and quiet on daily driving. From your experience, what other tires beside Hankook v12 perform well on both autocross and still comfortable for daily driving?

Many IS have staggered set up where rotation is not possible. I can't rotate tires on both my cars .
PERSONALLY, if you are not worried about the mileage you are going to get out of it... I LOVE the Falken Azenni RT615's... stickiest tire i have ever had and still rode smooth. However, you will probably only get about 10,000 miles out of them if you are auto crossing them as well.

If you want a good hybrid, I would look at the sport line in Yokohama, or Michellin Pilot Sports... i would run Michellin's and get great performance and mileage out of them, but they come with a hefty price tag...

Bottom line, you can not have a hybrid tire (autocross/track and daily driving comfortabilty) without sacrificing something... price, mileage, stickiness, comfortablitliy the list goes on

http://www.0-60mag.com/feature-home/...zenis-rt-615k/

Last edited by jgr4444; 02-02-15 at 10:00 AM.
Old 02-02-15, 10:04 AM
LucianoLee
Driver

I had DWS and then now V12 evo just like you. I also have tried Michellin Super Sport and loved them, but the price on those Super Sport is not nice at all....
Old 02-02-15, 10:10 AM
jgr4444
Driver School Candidate

The problem with DWS's is that they are very soft, so when you run them on Autocross or even at the track.. they heat up very quickly and become slippery. Unfortunate because for everyday driving with the occasional "push" around corners when strolling around town or back roads, the DWS is a pretty good tire, especially for the price tag.
Old 02-02-15, 10:14 AM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

@jgr4444 Wow, thank you for the information. It sounds like Falken Azenis RT-615k is the beast on autocross/track usage. I wish it would last longer than 10k miles lol. If I autocross/track more, I will give either this and the Michelin PSS a try. So far I'm very happy with Hankook V12 which perform decent on autocross and still very comfortable on daily driving + last very long too (10k miles daily, 2 autocross, and still have 8/12 tread depth).
Old 02-02-15, 10:25 AM
jgr4444
Driver School Candidate

@jgr4444 Wow, thank you for the information. It sounds like Falken Azenis RT-615k is the beast on autocross/track usage. I wish it would last longer than 10k miles lol. If I autocross/track more, I will give either this and the Michelin PSS a try. So far I'm very happy with Hankook V12 which perform decent on autocross and still very comfortable on daily driving + last very long too (10k miles daily, 2 autocross, and still have 8/12 tread depth).
I am pretty knowledgable when it comes to wheels and tires so If you ever have any questions, feel free to PM me.
Old 02-02-15, 10:31 AM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by jgr4444
The problem with DWS's is that they are very soft, so when you run them on Autocross or even at the track.. they heat up very quickly and become slippery. Unfortunate because for everyday driving with the occasional "push" around corners when strolling around town or back roads, the DWS is a pretty good tire, especially for the price tag.
Yeah, the DWS performs fine on daily driving with occasional push hard around the corners. I think DWS is perfect for many people who look for comfort, durability and some occasional fun around the corners.

However, DWS are not for me. Continuous push hard around the corners will make them go beyond their optimal temp range and they start to become slippery. Also, steering feel is too light, road feedback is lacking, less available traction and spin recovery is a bit unpredictable so constant battling with counter-steering is required with this tires on autocross. Recently, driving in rain, the rear wheels spins when I just try to accelerate normally from start (not pushing hard). Cornering in wet road has very little traction available and you can spin out easily if not careful. DWS is bad in rain, period.

IMO, DWS is made for daily drivers who want a tires that last very long and comfortable. It is not meant to perform at all.

Hankook v12, on the other hand, perform very well all around dry and wet. Even though it lasts shorter than DWS, it performs way better. It offers a lot more road feedback, a lot more accurate and predictable handling and still very comfortable/quiet at the same time. I have drifted several times on autocross for fun with this tires easily because the road feedback is just awesome and handling is very predictable. Hankook v12 is really a winning tires for me.

Quick Reply: I know that tire wear is an issue with the 350, same problem with the 250?