IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

After purchasing a certify pre-own lexus

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-15, 02:42 AM
FiLtHyGS
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default After purchasing a certify pre-own lexus

In 2009, I purchase my certified Pre-own Lexus at a Bay Area Lexus dealership. Recently, my car was hit and run twice within the year and I discovered some new interesting facts that Lexus did not inform me about. On the first accident, the body shop had asked me if my car has ever been worked on before. My response was no because I am the second owner and no accident has ever happen to me(on top of that i bought the car at 19 k miles). He said the entire car was actually resprayed and that he didn't notice any body damages to the front end (that was were my hit and run was at).

Last week, my car was side swipe at a parking lot on the back end quarter panel of the car. The body shop than called me again and said "Ya this car was actually involve in an accident, and the car was rear ended." .

So my question is: Should Lexus even approve of this as a Certify Lexus?
Old 01-27-15, 10:02 AM
linic524
Driver School Candidate

I'm kinda on the same boat with you. Recently found out my driver side brake lights not working when I went in to get oil change(serramonte). They found out the brake light is aftermarket one. I had to go back to the dealer I originally bought the car from(Fremont) to get the brake light replaced. It's free but it got me wondering was the car in an accident before..btw mines certified too bought it in last year.
Old 01-27-15, 10:50 AM
FiLtHyGS
Rookie

Originally Posted by linic524
I'm kinda on the same boat with you. Recently found out my driver side brake lights not working when I went in to get oil change(serramonte). They found out the brake light is aftermarket one. I had to go back to the dealer I originally bought the car from(Fremont) to get the brake light replaced. It's free but it got me wondering was the car in an accident before..btw mines certified too bought it in last year.
Yeah. My car came from fremont
Old 01-27-15, 11:11 AM
metaleckz
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by FiLtHyGS
Yeah. My car came from fremont
Omg. Magnussen lexus???
I bought my cpo'ed 2009 is350 car there too

We are f***ed!

Little story that happened to me
I went to lexus serramonte to get my rear view mirror relplaced/fixed cuz it was shaking hella bad. I think there was a tsb for this but anyway. They told me that my rear view mirror was aftermarket so they didnt replace it. They just tightened the bolts for me. I was like, how is my rearview mirror after market when i bought it at lexus

Last edited by metaleckz; 01-27-15 at 11:19 AM.
Old 01-27-15, 05:21 PM
edwin1027
Driver School Candidate

The same thing happened to me while buying a GS350 CPO no known accidents. Many issues later related to many accidents... This is really not a Lexus Dealer issue. For sure that Lexus headquarters will not support this type of issues with CPOs. This is really a local dealer management issue. The used car business is so profitable for them that they just want to make numbers every month and CPO means nothing for them. Just another good used car sale. For sure that they can be in big problems if Lexus headquarters are informed about what local dealers are calling a CPO. Not been honest...
Old 01-28-15, 10:25 AM
Traxxer
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm in the same boat. I took my car in to Longo Toyota after having some cosmetic damage done to the side of my car. When they removed some panels for the repair they asked me if the card had been in a previous accident which I have not. I bought my CPO vehicle from Newport Lexus. Apparently CPO doesn't mean much other than a good warranty.

The way Longo Toyota explained it to me is that if the original owner gets into an accident, doesn't report it, and has it fixed on his own that there's no way the dealer will find out when the owner trades in their car in. The dealer does an inspection but from what I was told they don't actually remove body panels to see if there's any damage done underneath... Longo Toyota told me this so I can only assume that Newport Lexus follows the same procedures when certifying a preowned vehicle.
Old 01-28-15, 11:56 AM
pheonix72
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I believe Lexus uses Carfax to check for accidents so there wont be any record if the owners didn't go thru the claim process. The 161 points inspection is also a joke with mostly quick visual.
Old 01-28-15, 02:32 PM
darkdream
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Full body respray is indicative of someone keying the car. In any case buying a used car you will never find out everything that happened to it.
Old 01-29-15, 06:35 PM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 292 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by Traxxer
The way Longo Toyota explained it to me is that if the original owner gets into an accident, doesn't report it, and has it fixed on his own that there's no way the dealer will find out when the owner trades in their car in. The dealer does an inspection but from what I was told they don't actually remove body panels to see if there's any damage done underneath... Longo Toyota told me this so I can only assume that Newport Lexus follows the same procedures when certifying a preowned vehicle.
Bodyshops, like insurance companies, get paid by CarFax to report repairs (they also have access to police accident reports). If the car was repaired by a bodyshop who subscribes to the CarFax system, or if it was an insurance claim, or if a police report was filed, it would be on record.
Old 01-31-15, 01:35 PM
EDYGRIFFIN
Driver School Candidate

CPO is just that Certified Pre-Owned with the 3 year 100,000 miles exclusionary warranty.

Has nothing to do with accidents(known or unknown)

Most people want a warranty for "true peace of mind" and for a small fee a Lexus dealership can CPO a vehicle to get the sale and make a customer feel more comfortable with their decision.

The 170 point inspection has nothing to do with removing panels. It is simply inspecting parts and components to make sure they are in working order. Obviously if parts are worn like tires or brake pads/rotors they will be replaced and if a car has not had the 30K or 60K mile service done that will be performed as well.

A Lexus dealership can put CPO on any car as long as it is worth it IE the car is below 100,000 miles.

Also not every Lexus dealership is honest there are those that are strictly looking at the dollars and cents of a transaction and could care less about owner retention and loyalty.