IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Opinion on used 2007 IS350 purchase?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-15, 02:35 PM
MikeZero
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Opinion on used 2007 IS350 purchase?

Car drives good but below is the history report from Lexus and Carfax. I highlighted the areas that concern me the most. Also I don't see that the car had it's 60k service done. Worried the last drivers drove the thing really hard. Carfax shows a reported accident in 2011 where someone hit a guard rail.

Car has about 75,000 miles on it now.

Thanks guys

Old 01-13-15, 02:53 PM
sr20mofo
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

asking price?

Shouldnt be more than $15k.. that would be the cap if i was to buy it.

You cant really tell if a car is driven hard unless u open the engine up... i would be more worried about the car not being maintain properly.

Plugs are easy to do urself and if ur still worried about its condition u can always bring it to a Lexus dealer and do a PPI that'll run u around $250

Last edited by sr20mofo; 01-13-15 at 02:56 PM.
Old 01-13-15, 03:19 PM
iRock
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If it drives fine go for it.
Old 01-13-15, 03:31 PM
MikeZero
Rookie

Originally Posted by sr20mofo
asking price?

Shouldnt be more than $15k.. that would be the cap if i was to buy it.

You cant really tell if a car is driven hard unless u open the engine up... i would be more worried about the car not being maintain properly.

Plugs are easy to do urself and if ur still worried about its condition u can always bring it to a Lexus dealer and do a PPI that'll run u around $250
It's more than $15k. But it's at a dealer and I'm in California. I have been monitoring the market for months (now more seriously) and IS350s simply do not sell in the $15k range, and if they do I do not want to wait forever to find that deal. I wish I could!!

Im looking at a few photos I snapped and this one is interesting. It looks like the hood isn't perfectly flush, is this normal? Im looking at photos online and other cars seem to be perfect. It isn't the angle, I have a couple of other photos that show the same. I did not notice this in person. I'd have the car inspected by a super reputable mechanic (car is in an affluent area with high rated shops) for $100, or the Lexus dealership quoted me $176 for a full inspection.

Last edited by MikeZero; 01-13-15 at 03:35 PM.
Old 01-13-15, 04:02 PM
darkdream
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would look at the front end very carefully since it did have an accident. Just because the airbags didn't deploy doesn't mean it wasn't alot of damage. There have been people who said they had an accident at around 40 mph and the airbags never deployed.
Old 01-13-15, 04:13 PM
MikeZero
Rookie

Originally Posted by darkdream
I would look at the front end very carefully since it did have an accident. Just because the airbags didn't deploy doesn't mean it wasn't alot of damage. There have been people who said they had an accident at around 40 mph and the airbags never deployed.
Yeah good point. If you look at that pic the bottom of the front bumper looks slightly wavy.. But that could just be because I took the picture with my iPhone. The dealer put two front tires on the car, so I wonder if it has uneven wear issues. Especially since the history shows past alignment and tire/wheel issues.
Old 01-30-15, 10:44 PM
MikeZero
Rookie

Sorry to bring this thread back up, but I still havent been able to find a 350 nearby. They are difficult to come by apparently. I'm car-less and need to buy something soon, so its either this car or a "cleaner" 250. What are your guys thoughts on this car if I can get it for a good deal and a mechanic gives it a green light? Could a good mechanic really tell if the car has issues, maybe structural? Or are there possible problems that just are impossible to find during an inspection?

The "moderate to severe left front damage" is what is concerning. But then again, cars get damaged all the time and arent reported for the Carfax, this one just happens to have been reported. My buddy has a car with a totally clear carfax but the thing was almost totalled, it just wasnt reported.
Old 01-31-15, 09:04 AM
LucianoLee
Driver

I just bought a 06 is350 about a month ago for $14k9. It had 78k miles on it. The bumper was repainted and there were a lot of gap in service dates on Carfax as well. I really did not check much. Water pump still clean and quiet, the car drives straight. I floored it and it pulled hard, transmission is smooth. That was all I did to test the car beside checking the cosmetic damages. I would recommend you to bring the car to a body shop to check if it has frame damage tho. If it can't be realigned right, it probably has frame damage. Anyway, make sure you check everything and think about it before you make the call. Good luck shopping
Old 01-31-15, 09:12 AM
VTsuckah
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Dont be afraid to fly a few states over to pick up a car.

I would pass on that 350. It's surprising that you can't find a decent 350 in cali. They are very common in that area.
Old 01-31-15, 10:08 AM
A1cntrler
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by VTsuckah

I would pass on that 350. It's surprising that you can't find a decent 350 in cali. They are very common in that area.
When I'm on the road and see an IS ahead of me or in traffic, I'd say that about 9 out of every 10 I see are 250's. I had to look a long time to find my 350 here in SoCal.
Old 01-31-15, 10:38 AM
MikeZero
Rookie

Originally Posted by LucianoLee
I just bought a 06 is350 about a month ago for $14k9. It had 78k miles on it. The bumper was repainted and there were a lot of gap in service dates on Carfax as well. I really did not check much. Water pump still clean and quiet, the car drives straight. I floored it and it pulled hard, transmission is smooth. That was all I did to test the car beside checking the cosmetic damages. I would recommend you to bring the car to a body shop to check if it has frame damage tho. If it can't be realigned right, it probably has frame damage. Anyway, make sure you check everything and think about it before you make the call. Good luck shopping
Thanks. Thats kind of how I feel. Ive bought cars before without having this much information available. Im just wondering now if I brought the car to a body shop AND to a mechanic for inspections and they both gave it a PASS, if it would be a safe bet or if there are unknowns that cant be discovered via inspection?

Originally Posted by VTsuckah

I want to pass on it, but looking for 3 months has not been fun. Ive looked out of state as well but the ones Ive found are WAY too far for me to feel comfortable. Id travel up to maybe 1000 miles but beyond that I just dont feel comfortable. And I dont have the time for that.

Originally Posted by A1cntrler
When I'm on the road and see an IS ahead of me or in traffic, I'd say that about 9 out of every 10 I see are 250's. I had to look a long time to find my 350 here in SoCal.
Thats what Ive been experiencing. My problem is I dont have a car right now, so I might have to go buy a 250 without nav in the color I dont want just so I can have some wheels. I have been looking for way too long and its taken way too much of my time.
Old 01-31-15, 12:17 PM
EDYGRIFFIN
Driver School Candidate

Where in CA do you live?

here is a link with 2 is350 vehicles that we have on one of our lexus lots. you can check the carfax at those links as well.

http://www.royalkia.com/used-invento...elections=true

one happens to be a 06 with similar miles as the one you are loooking at and Arizona is only one state away. it would not even take a weekend to complete the transaction. lemme know

And as far as a "safe" bet that is unheard of..........you never know until you buy it and drive it then you will know the true cost of ownership.

Oh yea if you want pictures let me know I can snap a few before i head out for the weekend
Old 01-31-15, 12:21 PM
MikeZero
Rookie

Originally Posted by EDYGRIFFIN
Where in CA do you live?

here is a link with 2 is350 vehicles that we have on one of our lexus lots. you can check the carfax at those links as well.

http://www.royalkia.com/used-invento...elections=true

one happens to be a 06 with similar miles as the one you are loooking at and Arizona is only one state away. it would not even take a weekend to complete the transaction. lemme know

And as far as a "safe" bet that is unheard of..........you never know until you buy it and drive it then you will know the true cost of ownership.

Oh yea if you want pictures let me know I can snap a few before i head out for the weekend
Thanks, appreciate the link. This may sound superficial but I just wouldnt buy a red or black car. And yeah, I agree. I wish this car had a better history.